Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newspaper stories?

Carlyg
April 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I hear that a bunch of people have actually gotten the newspaper to write an article about his/her lost pet. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do that? A couple shelters have suggested that to me as well. Which section of the paper did they send it to?
I'm kind of thinking it is unlikley that any newspaper would care if I told them my old deaf dog was stolen..what did other people say to get them to write something?

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I think it depends on where you live and what kind of newspaper it is and what time of the year and who works there - lots of its I know but my family has owned newspapers!

You might find a pet friendly reporter who is interested in your story. Visit them or call them up but a visit might be preferable. Check the newspaper's web site to see who does what kind of reporting or even ask to speak with one of the editors.

A large national newspaper will unlikely do this kind of story but a small weekly may actually welcome the article since they may have a plethora of ads that week and have extra space they had not counted on. (To be so lucky, they think, lol - i e to have the space!) A smaller daily may also be interested.

Do you r research. look at the newspapers in your area - have they done these stories in the past? Do you know anyone who works there - or anyone who knows someone there? That could also help of course!

A lost family pet is a human interest story and depending on whether they have recently done a story like that, the space they have, the time of year (ie winter can be slow, summers too on occasion and hopefully there is no election or significant issues occurring but even then, they may want a few positive stories) .

If all else fails, you can always write a letter to the editor or offer to write an op ed piece yourself about how wonderful your pet is - how he is missed - and so forth. One of the newspapers in New Brunswick has a space especially reserved for lost cats and dogs but I cannot tell you if this is the case outside the Maritimes.

However, it is important to connect somehow to someone at the newspaper!