Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please don't make my mistake of waiting too long

dmc123
April 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Tilly (pic below) and her sister Holly (no pic here) popped up on our porch in November. We guessed they were 6-8 weeks old. We stopped trying to shoo them off so they stayed around and grew up (although they are still very small cats). Tilly is not quite feral but will not come to us - she just runs away. When we can catch her napping in the cat house my dad built - she is very affectionate. So I bought a hav-a-heart type cage to trap them in when the time came to take them to be spayed.

Here is the issue - our vet won't spay until they are at least 6 mths. Later, we found a group in the next county that will spay at an earlier age, unfortunately we waited too long. Tilly got pregnant. We must have been wrong with guessing ages in Nov, but she can only be about 6 months old. They both had an appointment on April 20th. Tilly had her babies on April 18th. 4 of them! Thankfully she is a good mom - and very willing to let us pet her and all of them.

Now, my job is finding a home for these new 4 and to get her spayed as soon as they are weaned. But my biggest job is to learn this lesson - don't wait too long!

Here's one of the photos from this past weekend - there are 4 showing - the 4th is just under Tilly's head - almost solid white.

Wish me luck finding homes for these little cuties in about 5 weeks. I hope that someone can learn from my "late" mistake - don't wait too long or you'll have these little faces like this to deal with!!!

Diane

Stacer
April 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Tilley is gorgeous and the kitten are adorable. I hope they find good homes. It's not your fault that she got pregnant, and at least you're trying to help her by getting her spayed. Good luck with the new family

dmc123
April 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Thank you Stacer, I really did try!

Prin
April 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Good luck from now on. :fingerscr

They're very pretty kitties. :)

rainbow
April 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Tilly is beautiful :lovestruck: and the babies are adorable. :cloud9: Were you able to get Holly spayed yet? Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Oh my!! The kittens are cute and thank you for posting this - you are doing us all a good service. I am thinking of the post I just replied to from someone with kittens who are 4 months and unspayed and uneutered!! You are most fortunate that Tilley did so well at her young age and that everything turned out well!!

Good luck in finding good homes!!!! You may ask a rescue group to post some courtesy listings for you?

TeriM
April 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Awww, don't feel to bad. At least you will find these kittens will find good homes and won't be adding to the feral situation :thumbs up .

dmc123
April 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks all :) yes rainbow, Holly kept her appointment...she was mad at us a day or two but now she is all happy and sweet again :)

Diane

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for posting this DMC you've done a wonderful thing in taking in these babies-having babies.

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I second that..... thanks so much for doing this. :angel: :grouphug: And, we also want more pics. :D

krdahmer
April 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Don't feel bad, I jumped in too soon with a stray mom and because she was under stress all of her little kittens died, despite our best efforts to bottle feed etc.

I'm sure you'll be able to find them all loving homes and God bless for taking these cats in and caring for them.:angel:

dmc123
April 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks again all, I will post a new picture on Saturday. I am taking updated pictures into work, hoping someone there will get hooked on one or two :)

Diane

dmc123
April 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Ok I cheated LOL - here's a couple of pics I took just now when Tilly was out stretching her legs. Check out those little pink feet! :)

More to come on Sat - their eyes should start opening about then.

Diane

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Little pink feet, little pink noses.....they are sooo, soooo cute. :cloud9:

dmc123
April 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Here's a shot of Holly - the sister to Tilly and aunt to the babies :)

Diane

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
What a beautiful tabby she is. :lovestruck: And, I love her eyes. :cloud9:

jawert1
April 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Diane they're adorable, and yes, sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men (and critterlovers everywhere) most often go awry. I wish you were a tad closer (and Simon would tolerate cats), so I could come claim one of these cuties! Good luck with Tilly, Holly and bebbes, they're all beautiful:cloud9:

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
So adorable! :lovestruck:

chico2
April 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
This is the first time I see this post,you did really good with Tilly and Holly,the babies are beyond cute.:lovestruck:
Hope we get to see some more pics:fingerscr

dmc123
April 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi all,

I promised to post a picture of them today, but she moved them on Thursday. We didn't find them until Friday. We couldn't imagine what happened to them.

She has them in a tiny little spot at the end of our wood pile. There is a table there with some lumber stacked on it. She and they are under that table in leaves. Why oh why she moved them from a nice warm bed with lots of blankets?? ....I will leave her there for now. If she doesn't bring them back, I will try bringing them back at least once. We crawled in as far as week could this afternoon and got hold on one of the babies - eyes aren't opening yet but looked ok otherwise.

Will post more if the story changes.

Diane

chico2
April 29th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Diane,she must have felt threatened by something,maybe a Raccoon looking for a nestingplace,otherwise she would not have moved her babies..there are a lot of dangers out there for vulnerable kittens:sad:
Good Luck to Tilly and her babies,I am glad she has you to keep an eye on them:thumbs up

muskokapuss
April 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
:goodvibes: :thumbs up Awwwe they are soooo cute! And seriously cudo's to you for looking after Tilly, Holly and babies, I take in stray animals all the time (they usually turn up at our house or find us some how, most are wild though...but I know how much work it is, You rock hon!!!)

Best of luck with the kitties, and with Tilly and Holly, they are sure lucky to have you to be their guardian angel cat mom!

best wishes,

puss:cat:

dmc123
April 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks again all. To date, she has not brought them back, I think I will by the weekend if she hasn't. The cat house on the porch was so much more protected than where she has them. She is taking good care of them, but where they are scares me.

Here's a shot I just took, crawled in and got one of them - eyes are opening! We were sneaky - checked on the kids while Mama ate dinner :)

Diane

chico2
May 1st, 2007, 06:46 AM
They are such tiny little defenseless babies,I am relieved they have you,hopefully mama won't mind moving to a safer place:cat:
I can imagine you must worry every night when you go to bed,if they'll still be there in the morning,alive and well...:pray: they'll be safe

zpilot55
May 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Definitely something for me to keep in mind - I have cats that I take care of (even though they're not mine - alley cats)

dmc123
May 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Chico2 - thanks again...and yes I do worry about them, if think differently than their Mama -Tilly does.

zpilot55 - you might want to, or you will have a bunch more to care for!

Diane

CyberKitten
May 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
I think if it were me, I'd move them but then I do not know the entire physical lay out of where you live or what wildlife and so forth might be lurking. I lived through several litters of "barn cats' - some my grandmother never knew were even there just because they had a farm - and she always spayed and neutered even before it was promoted (think 30 yrs ago!) and this mama left her babies in one of the lofts and never returned. We think she was probably killed on the road or who even knows but we had more babies to bottle feed (we did that all too often as well) and these babies did not have their eyes open yet. So, I guess I am thinking of that experience when I write this. I also had one cat I took in when I was an adult, a so called "stray" who was pregnant and got out and we think maybe caught in a garage and so more bottle feeding for a few nites till she returned - never to see a door again let me assure you!! Knowing what I know now, I am only thankful she did not come out pregnant!! So, if you can somehow move them - mama will NOT be pleased, they never are - but if you have a safer place for them ,you might try taking them there - even if she tries to move them again - because doubtless, she will do that! They will be much safer than being in a less protected place or what sounds like it - as I say, I do not know how your area is spaced out.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!! You might also check to make sure all the babies are getting their share of milk. There is often one who for whatever reason does not. They usually survive -even as the runt of the litter 0 but we always wold give the little ones some extra cat milk. (NOT cow's milk!!! - a special formula we made ourselves and later when it was commercially available, milk for kittens,)

dmc123
May 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the great advice and great stories of your experiences, CyberKitten, I do want to move them. I think I will give her a day or two more....maybe....then move them back to the porch.

If she gets mad and moves them, hopefully we will find them again so we can move them back :) Last time she was very sneaky - she acted like she didn't know where they were, that part was scary. She was good in her deceit.

Diane

Frenchy
May 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
I am a bit late on this thread , I get sad when I see yet another litter of kitties / pups. But I know it's not your fault ! You're an :angel: to get them spayed and watch over the newbies , and yes , they are adorable :cloud9: (we will get more pics right? :o

dmc123
May 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Yes, Frenchy, when I can get more pics, I will post them. I know, we all love to see the babies' pics and hope they all get wonderful homes.

It is my major goal right now, to catch Tilly, the mom, as soon as the babies are weaned and wisk her off for surgery. Now we have to bait the cage again so we can......

Luck is still wished for here in North Carolina.

Diane

rainbow
May 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck with Tilly and her babies. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

dmc123
May 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
For anyone interested, here's a couple of pics of the babies I just took while Mama was on the porch eating.

We've decided to bring them back on the porch on Saturday so we can keep a watch on what happens. Tilly doesn't spend as much time with them as I thought she should, but they all seem quite fat and happy, so far. Tilly seems to like hanging out on the porch so it is still confusing to me that she moved them in the first place. :)

Anyway, more to come as things progress.

Diane

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
They are soooo adorable. :lovestruck: I would find it really hard to let them go. :cloud9:

Good luck with the move on Saturday......hope Mama Tilly co-operates. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

dmc123
May 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks. I hope Tilly cooperates too, or we will be following her again to see where the next residence is. LOL

They are adorable, but I am not letting myself get attached to them, I have enough to take care of....I have to say NO MORE....at this time. I am not saying that is an easy thing to do. I am a softie :)

Diane

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm sure glad I don't live near you right now. :D

chico2
May 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Me tooo:D Thank's for the pics,I am always interested and hope you keep us up to date with pics:thumbs up
They are such vulnerable little lives,I hope with your watchful eyes,they'll be ok:pray:

Prin
May 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Awww, they're adorable. :grouphug:

dmc123
May 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

Update on this group - We moved the babies back to the cat house on the porch on Saturday....so far so good. We think Tilly likes them there also, then she can take a break and still be close to them.

Here's two new shots -the 1st showing them all, and the 2nd - Tilly taking a breather :)

The babies are doing well, getting fatter, and all eyes open except one of them - his/her eyes keep closing with a pus or something. I am wiping them with warm water almost everyday and it seems to be helping.

I think two people from work are committing to taking two of them :) Two more to go :)

Take care,
Diane

Prin
May 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the update. :) I'm glad they're doing well. I hope the little guy's eyes clear up soon. :fingerscr :grouphug:

chico2
May 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Thank's for the update,the kittens look bigger and I am glad mom decided to stay on the porch:thumbs up
It's going to be a bit more difficult once the kittens start running around,with predators out there,but one problem at a time,right:cat:
Please keep sending us pics and updates,it would be wonderful if you somehow could get mom fixed,don't remember if you talked about that.

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yes chico2, Tilly will have her appointment as soon as the babies are weaned.

Diane

chico2
May 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Awww,that's great,she is a very lucky kitty to have you:cat:

trippincherri
May 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I grew up on a farm and we had outside cats that had kittens a lot (back then spaying was not something many people did). Anyway the cats would have their kittens in random places to "hide" them from predators and humans.

We found that the more we touched and played with the newborns momma cat would pack them up and move them, so once again we had to track down her new hiding spot. When you touch the newborns you leave your scent on them and a lot of feral or outside cats do not like this, it attracts to much attention to them.

I am not saying don't handle them, I am just suggesting to you why she may have moved them.
In fact now that they are getting older and can see, you should spend more time trying to socialize them with humans. This will greatly increase your chances of re-homing them with potential adopters as they will be friendly,since it is very easy for an outside litter to become scared and untrustworthy of strangers and other pets.
We would also try to leave out cat food softened in warm water to give them an easy start to eating real cat food,sometimes we added powdered milk to it for flavor (they love this :) ) and leave a litter box filled with wood shavings or cheap kitty litter for them just so they can get the feel of what it is and they may start to use it (another bonus for trying to get them adopted is if they are sort of litter trained!)

Good Luck and thank goodness they have someone looking out for them,it is too sad the amount of feral cats there are.
Hopefully these kittens will get a good chance at a decent life!!
They are way too adorable by the way, should have no problems finding them homes.:cloud9:

Shamrock
May 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Diane, many kudos to you for your efforts for this little family! You are an :angel: for helping them, and for seeing Tilly will be a one-time mom only.
You cant fault yourself for this pregnancy.. you tried, couldnt have known.

Wonderful photos of the group!
Tilly is a gorgeous cat, and the babies... what can be said?:cloud9: They are just the sweetest, most irrestible little sweethearts.:lovestruck:

Good luck with them all, and yes, please keep us posted with more updates and pics!

I'm sure you are planning on this, but stressing the importance of finding an early spay clinic well in advance of the need to the adoptors will help these little babies from become parents themselves.:fingerscr

Thanks for sharing with us, and for the reminder of the pitfalls of waiting.

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Trippincherri,

Thanks for your kind words and advice.

I agree that she was nervous that we were petting the babies. But she does seem calmer about it now. In fact the only time we can pet her (Tilly) is when she is with the babies in the cat house.

I am not saying don't handle them, I am just suggesting to you why she may have moved them.
In fact now that they are getting older and can see, you should spend more time trying to socialize them with humans. This will greatly increase your chances of re-homing them with potential adopters as they will be friendly,since it is very easy for an outside litter to become scared and untrustworthy of strangers and other pets.

Thanks again,
Diane

trippincherri
May 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Well I learnt a lot from my own experiences so I was glad to share some advice. Your very welcome.

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Shamrock,

Thank you too :)

Tilly will be a one-time mom only.

For sure on that, just as soon as I can catch/trap her after the babies are weaned....she will be wisked off to the clinic :)

There are two girls and two boys - and two have homes - unless my co-workers back out. But I am keeping my fingers crossed here.....:fingerscr

Diane

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Some pics from tonight, caught them playing....wow - they grow so fast!

The one that is almost all white, he is the one with a bit of an eye problem, you can see that his eyes are different from the others.

These will show in two posts (maybe 3).

Diane

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
part 2 of the new pics

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
the last of this bunch....aren't they so cute?! :) It is so fun to watch them test those legs, LOL

Diane

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
sending you all the luck there is in the Carolinas for Holly and the kittens! And I meant to say auntie is an adorable tabby as well!!! It would be interesting to see how auntie would react if they were close by - some cats actually share caring for the kittens, like a matriarchal society in a way. We used to notie that with my grandmother's feral colony. it was rather awesome!

dmc123
May 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
CyberKitten,

Holly is the aunt and Tilly is the mom. Holly the tabby does not go near the babies. We say she is a bit "touched" - she didn't develop all her faculties :( but is a sweetie. She is quite awkward and uncoordinated.

I don't think Tilly wants more mama's, we are bad enough. LOL

Diane

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Oh sorry for the mix up!!!! Well, some cats are like that but we always love them anyway, lol And I agree - I was just sort of thinking out loud in a what if condition. If she is moving her babies, she obviously likes to be an only mama, :)

But so far she seems to be doing Ok- how are the kittens doing?

And I missed the picture in my writing - how adorable they are - I thank you have more than responded to my Q about how they are doing. Very well, obviously, lol Thx for sharing. Gawd, they are so darn cute!!!!! Wish I was closer - I like the whitest one the most but each and every one of them is adorable!! . Have you given them names yet? I find kittens sort of grow into names- you just know from their personality and behaviour what to name them.

dmc123
May 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Update....the babies and mom are doing well :) The babies will be 4 weeks old this Wednesday.

I put all my pictures on my web page if anyone wants to see them all. The ones that are on here on pets.ca are also there - so I can share them with my family and keep them in one spot. See them here if you want:

http://curdfiles2.myhandylinks.com/canines/kittens.html

Take care,
Diane

Frenchy
May 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
the last of this bunch....aren't they so cute?! :)
Diane

:cloud9: too cute !

TeriM
May 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM
awww, such cuties. Thanks for keeping us updated :) .

chico2
May 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Aww,Thank you,I needed that to brighten my day:lovestruck:

dmc123
May 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Update on the babies!

They are doing very well. Today, the boys ate real food - moistened kitten chow. This was the first day they were interested and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. While they ate - the girls still chose Mama :) Pics in next post.

The two folks at work that said they might adopt one, backed out, so we are still hoping that our adoption days the Animal Outreach has will help us find homes for all of them. They are sooooo adorable at this age - I love to just go out and sit in there with them. They always seem so happy to have us come visit. :)

I am going to post a few pictures here and in the next post, but if you want to see many more pictures - go here: http://curdfiles2.myhandylinks.com/canines/kittens.html

Take care,
Diane

Pictured here: Little girl peeking, and boys sound asleep in cathouse while girls are playing outside it.

dmc123
May 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Pictured here: the boys enjoying one food, and one of the girls enjoying another food :)

Diane

TeriM
May 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
awww, thanks for the kitty fix. Good luck with the adoptions :goodvibes: .

chico2
May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
OMG Diane,you've done sooo well by this little family,their pics got me all teary-eyed,the cutest:lovestruck:
I:pray: they all find wonderful families,families who care just as much as us:pray:

dmc123
May 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Favorite pics from this week :)

Diane

chico2
May 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Thank you for the pics and again for saving them,they are such little darlings,such innocent little faces,innocent little lives..:cat:
:pray: whoever adopts them will have them spayed/neutered and love them to bits.
How old are they now?

dmc123
May 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Chico they will be 6 weeks on Wed - May 30.

Diane

TeriM
May 29th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah, kitty pics :cloud9: , thanks for our update. So how many are you keepin :D ?

rainbow
May 29th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I haven't checked this thread in awhile. :o Thanks for all the updates and photos. :) I love that last pic of them all together. :cloud9: Good luck with the adoptions. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

dmc123
May 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
LOL at TeriM, I wondered when that would be asked again :) I have decided to keep Andy, the almost all white one pictured in my last post. He is the first born male whose eyes kept closing. So for almost 3 weeks, I handled him 2-3 times a day to wash and medicate his eyes - so he kinda tugs at my heart a bit more than the others. But they all are adorable and all have such different personalities.

I found out when the adoption day will be - normally on each Sat, but not this weekend. That works, since they all still nurse along with eating solid food, since Tilly is still allowing them to.

So hopefully, June 9th will bring nice adopters :)

Diane

dmc123
June 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
To any one interested an update, and maybe a chance to finalize this thread.....all 4 babies will continue to live with us. They are all so different and so adorable, and we love them all.

I took the girls to the Pet Adoption today, and was to pick either them or the carrier or both up at 2:00. Before I left them, I waited quite a while trying to decide if I could keep them, or if it was better for them to find a nice home. On the way to pick them up close to 2:00 if they hadn't been adopted, I didn't know if I was going to be sadder to find neither in the carrier or to find them both still there, unadopted. I guess when tears filled my eyes when I saw them both there - I got my answer.

They all will live here with me and my roomie, the 3 dogs who seem to love them, the 3 indoor cats who are still quite unsure, and the 4 outside cats who will get their porch again. The mom - Tilly, one of those outside, will find herself at the vet to be fixed, as soon as she is done lactating. Crazy girl is still feeding these 4, and they are almost 8 weeks old. She has really been a good mama.

If anyone wants to know, their names are, Andy, Stanley, Lilly and Fergie (still opting on Polly instead of Fergie, but she looks like a Fergie).

Call me a fool - I am, but these babies are so special to me.

Thanks to all who have been so supportive on this.

Diane.....and all the critters :)

I will add more pictures later if anyone wants me to.

rainbow
June 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, please do post more pics. :D And, congratulations on all your new additions. :highfive: You truly are a wonderful person for giving them all a home. :angel:

chico2
June 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Diane,of course we are interested,LOVE to see more pics and continue to get updates on them all:thumbs up
You are truly a wonderful person,but that is going to be a lot of kitties,not that I blame you,how do you give them up to an uncertain future??
I just hope you have a stash somewhere,sooo many kitties could get very expensive,or maybe your mom/dad/boyfriend is a vet:laughing:

dmc123
June 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks again Rainbow, and Chico2, I wish I did have a relative who is a vet...but we'll find a way to take care of them...someway :)

Diane

dmc123
June 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am starting a new thread with pictures of the babies....find it here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=438022#post438022

rainbow
June 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Excellent idea.....I'm off to check it. :D