Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Traveling with my cat and my mother's dog

Kirim
April 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi all, I am new to this forum.
In five weeks I will be traveling to Tennessee (15 hours and some) with my cat and my mother's poodle.
Besides the change that the cat and the dog are going to live together from that day on, my big worry at this point is the stress this trip can cause to my cat.
She hates the crate and hates the car.
Any suggestions to help me out?

badger
April 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
If the cat really carries on - if she is freaked out enough to harm herself, clawing at the cage, etc.- this may be a circumstance where a small amount of tranquilizer is warranted. NOT enough to knock her out, just enough to relax her. I would talk to your vet about it. And I would give her very little food, if any, in transit. Water, of course. And make sure the dog doesn't get too close. Time enough for that later :)

Kirim
May 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
If the cat really carries on - if she is freaked out enough to harm herself, clawing at the cage, etc.- this may be a circumstance where a small amount of tranquilizer is warranted. NOT enough to knock her out, just enough to relax her. I would talk to your vet about it. And I would give her very little food, if any, in transit. Water, of course. And make sure the dog doesn't get too close. Time enough for that later :)

I went to her vet a couple of days ago and she took a pill and cut it into 5 little pieces. She said to give a piece half hour before we leave the house and repeat if needed but not before 6 to 7 hours.
I am a bit scare of this tranquilizer stuff. What if she has a reaction to it?
I don't sleep at night. Every time I look at her I feel so guilty to put her through this, but I have no other option. I have to move and take my mother and her poodle with us.
I hope they (cat and poodle) get along. Sissi(the poodle) is great with cats but my baby has never been around another pet. She is the princess of this house and even though I love her dearly, I know she is not easy at all.
I'll post again, it is a way out for my worries and appreciate any answers to this post.

badger
May 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Everything will work out, no need to feel guilty, this is for her benefit. Her stress levels will be reduced and you won't arrive at your destination with an already freaked-out cat. Did you talk to the vet about side-effects? I suspect the only difference you see will be a slightly stoned look on her face (perhaps enlarged pupils) and she won't be so restless. She MAY stagger a little (try not to laugh).
I suggest using a small crate - cats feel more secure in small spaces - her own blankie (or equivalent) and a favourite toy (if she has one). When you stop for coffee, give her a little water. Take away the dish when you set off again; lying on a soaked blankie is no fun.
I would semi-fast her a few hours before and give her nothing during the journey (well, maybe the odd treat). She won't be that hungry when the meds kick in. Don't take her out of the cage once the journey is underway, no walkabouts in the car while you're off getting the dog to pee. Turn the cage away from where the (restrained) dog will be. It doesn't matter if she can't see out the window because you want to reduce stimulation to a minimum.
Once you get to your destination, shut her up the room where you will be sleeping with her litterbox and her stuff and leave her there until the household has quieted down, a few days at least. Then gradually introduce her to her new territory, making sure she can escape back to that room if the dog pesters her or she just feels overwhelmed (a temporary gate is an idea, one she can leap over but the dog cannot topple). Don't let her roam around at night, particularly if the dog is also free.
You will of course be supervising all of her interactions with the pooch until you see that they can live with each other/ignore each other successfully enough to share a permanent space.
Enjoy your journey. I have a feeling everything will work out.

kiara
May 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Most cats hate cars. I only heard of a few that really don't mind it. Since you will be in the car for so many hours ( both ways) why put your cat through so much stress? I would leave it with a cat sitter or at kennel, if possible. I remember long time ago my cat FiFi would howl in her carrier, all the way to the cottage and it was only one hour away. She really hated being there.

RolandsMom
May 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
I know how you feel. my vet recommended gravol. ugh. but it works. VERY important, though, to get the proper dosage per weight from the vet. it sedates them and stops their nausea. this may be what the vet gave you so maybe ask them to see what it was exactly. they wouldnt give you anything that would harm your cat. take a few deep breaths and try to be as calm as possible, cause if you are not calm your cat will pick up on this and also feel more stressed out. i know its hard, but it will be okay.