Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tough Decisions

chericep
April 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I'm actually on the hunt for a new puppy. I'm thinking about a great dane, but I might end up find one at the shelter. Still to be decided. This I have to admit is one of the toughest decisions in my life. Once it is over it's going to be all downhill. Me and my puppy, whoever he/she is, are going to have a lot of fun in the years ahead.

Which is better? To start from scratch and raise a puppy or adopt a lovely dog from the shelter to rescue?

happycats
April 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm actually on the hunt for a new puppy. I'm thinking about a great dane, but I might end up find one at the shelter. Still to be decided. This I have to admit is one of the toughest decisions in my life. Once it is over it's going to be all downhill. Me and my puppy, whoever he/she is, are going to have a lot of fun in the years ahead.

Which is better? To start from scratch and raise a puppy or adopt a lovely dog from the shelter to rescue?

Welcome!!!

I say "rescue, rescue, rescue" :thumbs up
I find rescued animals to truly appreciate what you have done (when you rescue) as they may have had a really bad (not always though) life prior to rescue, and are sooooooo loving and loyal and appreciative to you for saving them.
Also you will know exactly what your getting in an adult rescue (size, temperment, colour, fears, likes, dislikes and any quirks they may have )

Frenchy
April 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Well, I'm with a rescue so I would defenetly tell you to rescue ! First of all, there will be less training than if you adopt a puppy. Second of all, when dealing with a rescue, they can tell you if you are the right match for the dog and vice versa.
For your question about the Dane , I'M fostering one right now. Altough she may not be a good reference for the breed , Danes make good appartment/condo pets because they don't need a lot of space. They don't need a lot of exercise either (still need to be walked everyday) and they are prone to separation anxiety. They are BIG babies. Keep in mind ; food cost,vet care, everything is more expensice than for a 20 lbs dog.

jessi76
April 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
one is not better than the other. it depends on YOU. on the owners lifestyle, schedule, location, living situation, children, other pets already in the household, etc....

ETA: you can adopt a pup from a shelter/rescue also. I adopted my pup from a shelter when he was 8 wks old.

Prin
April 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'd say rescue. IMO, adults are way more ready to learn and love than puppies are, and rescues are always so appreciative too. I've always gotten my doggies between 1 and 3 years old. I fostered two puppies last year and it's a 24 hour a day job vs the two big adult fosters I have now let me sleep... :cloud9: