Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Dane Question

chericep
April 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone here with a Great Dane? I would like to know about their temperment.

kiara
April 23rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
The only thing I know about Danes is that their nickname says it all "Gentle Giants". They are great with children! And I hope you have a big backyard!

SableCollie
April 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
The ones I've met have been pretty laid-back and friendly. :)

Here's some info on them from the Great Dane Club of America. Breed clubs and rescues are generally good sources for info about specific breeds.
http://www.gdca.org/before.htm

Prin
April 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Danes are great, but newfs are better. And two newfs are better than one. :laughing: Ok, I'm kidding.:D

From personal experience, danes seem to need a lot of socialization so they don't get insecure around other dogs, but that really applies to most dogs.. They are amazingly goofy though. :lovestruck:

mummummum
April 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
In general, Danes despite their size do not need or want alot of exercise in comparison to some of the other large/giant breeds. For that reason they actually make good companion animals for people living in a small home or apartment. The only thing that stopped me from getting one when my last grrrl dies ten years or so ago, is their exceptionally short life span (6-8 years was what I was told by my Vet at that time).

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, now it's a little longer than that. :)

babykitten
March 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
yes they need lots of free space to run plus they need to be supplements for there joints big bones need extra calcium to suport the weight of the body . but there great with kids and it an family dog

rainbow
March 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Babykitten, I see you're back and digging up the old posts again. :rolleyes: :clown: :loser: