Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good deodorizer for carpets?

bbwvixen
April 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Between my Shih Tzu having a bladder infection when I got her last year, and my new baby Chi's potty training (and the fostering of her sister for a few weeks) my carpets STINK!:eek:

Of course every time they peed, we'd clean it up with a spot remover and odor killer (So it SAYS), but of course there are times we haven't caught them, or been able to find where they've gone.

We have a carpet cleaner and I clean the carpets about every two weeks, and I just had them professionally done but it doesn't seem to have helped!:mad:

I think I'm also getting supersensitive to the odor :(

Does anyone have any special recommendations I can use with the carpet cleaner so my house doesn't smell like urine all the time?

gomez
April 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
If you don't know where all the stains are, get yourself a blacklight, turn off all the lights and go through your whole house, the urine stains will be quite obvious!

Then spray all stains, old and new, with Urine Off, the best stuff I have found - you can order it online if your stores don't have it.

Don't have your carpet cleaned until you have found all the stains, the water and steam of carpet cleaners just spreads out the remaining urine and dilutes it, doesn't lift it...

Good luck!

i_have_too_many
April 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I agree with the blacklight idea, I also recommend a product called Orange Appeal, works on pretty much anything, solid or liquid. I use it in the machine when I wash dog blankets (that reminds me, I need to do laundry, ;) )

You should be able to find it at the pet store or vet clinic.

jessi76
April 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
after my dog was housebroken, we ripped the carpet up and put down wood floors. I found that to be the best solution so far. ;)