Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty training...will it happen?

SaraGeorge
April 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
We just got 12 weeks old standard schnuazer puppy. I think the breeder kept her only indoor and she hates going out for pee. She even holds on for long time so she can go inside on her pee pad or carpet but mostly on her pee pad. I will take out for almost 30 mon. still she holds and cry little yet no pee. Then she will go inside and pee!!!!
She has been with us for a week so I hope she will get used to the idea of going outside soon....

SaraGeorge

Lissa
April 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Start taking your pup to one "elimination" spot only...Use a "go pee/go poo" command and whenever she listens you should praise and treat (with food, toy, cuddles etc...) To encourage her to go potty outside, you may need to take a puppy pad out to her pee spot so its easier for her to make the connection (still praise and treat). Then as she gets more reliable, start cutting the puppy pad in half (ie: make it smaller so she ends up eliminating or standing on grass etc...) If she doesn't pee/poop right away, bring her back inside but keep her close (ie: don't give her the opportunity to pee/poop inside). Then a couple of minutes later its back outside for her chance to eliminate. You will be yo-yoing back and forth at first but if you place a puppy pad outside, it should speed up the process! I also suggest that you buy an enzyme cleaner to get the smell of urine completely out of the carpet so as not to confuse your pup
I am not sure what your situation is but I prefer to never let the puppy think its okay to eliminate in the house... So as soon as possible, do away with the puppy pads. Crate training may help in this case if done properly but you can certainly housebreak a dog without a crate. You just need to be vigilent - your pup should not be out of your sight!

She is still quite young so don't panic... Good luck!:)

SaraGeorge
April 23rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you Lissa,
Sara (my puppy) is in her crate during the day and when I go home for lunch from work, I take her out as well as my other 4 years old dog. Sara doesn't sniff or try to mark area as my other dog did, I guess because she is a female puppy... maybe???? She just hates being outside and always pulling to to my condo entrance.

I think I will try with pee pad today.

SaraGeorge

Lissa
April 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
I know its hard to socialize a puppy without all the puppy shots but at 12 weeks they should all be finished in the next couple of weeks, right? Socialization is critical and since it sounds like she is quite fearful of the great outdoors, you may want to work on that. Its great that you have an adult dog to show her the ropes and hopefully boost her confidence.

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/lib-puppy.htm#soc
http://www.dogscouts.com/socialize.shtml
http://www.community.skylos.com/content/view/198/

Let us know how things go!:)

SaraGeorge
April 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Lissa,
Sara doesn't fear other dogs, she likes to socialize with other dogs and she is TOO excited to see other dogs. I think she is not used to our city environment. She lived in a quite residential area and now she is in smack down, downtown Toronto. I think she is either amazed by all the different noises like, bus, car, children, birds, cars.... we take both of our dogs to park to play with other dogs and Sara is good at playing fetch already.

She is just perfect, I know I am tied and just want to give up but one day she will make me very proud. She is a smart cookie and I just have to be very patient with her... right?

Lissa
April 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yes patience is the key with puppies!:grin:

Socialization with everything is critical (not just canines).... The goal is to expose her to everything she will see in her lifetime NOW so she isn't afraid! I had huge lists of what I wanted to socialize Dodger to and still missed out on things...For example - people is an obvious thing but I missed out on direct socialization with teenagers. So now he is overly exuberant with teens - especially when they whiz by on a skateboard:D...
Ali Brown made a good analogy (major paraphrase) - she said a puppy's brain is like clay, you can easily shape it the way you want... By the time a puppy reaches 6 months old, its like clay that has been left out overnight - you can still work it out but its much harder etc... The dog is still more than capable of learning new things but their behaviours/temperment will be a major challenge to overcome.

jessi76
April 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
just to put a few things into perspective....

your pup is ONLY 12 wks old. she is still very much a puppy. it will take time for her to learn.

you've had her for ONLY a WEEK. again, it will take TIME for her to learn.

the fact that she's going on the pee pad is great - now you need to move the pee pad closer to the door, and eventually outside.

it's unrealistic to expect success from a 12 wk old pup who's only been in your home for a week. this pup is in a new environment - new schedule - new people - new sights, sounds, and smells.

it can take weeks to months to housetrain a new pup. being consistant is key - consistant training with a consistant schedule.

SaraGeorge
April 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thank you everyone,
I feel so much better and yes, she is just a little little pup. Good news!
Just went home for lunch to take my little one out, and yes! she went and did her pee pee outside!!! I know my little girl, she is smart and we will get there soon. I am so glad I found this forum/site.

SaraGeorge

Kristin7
April 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Yes, I agree with jessi, your pup is quite young. Of course it would be great if she learns fast, but if she doesn't it wouldn't be that unusual. My dog still had an occasional accident in the house up until he was almost a year old. Some puppies take months to learn, not days or weeks! Be patient and if you have some nice rugs, take them up until the training phase is over. Sometimes they know what to do, they just get excited or distracted by other things and it catches up with them. Mine learned what he wasn't supposed to do fairly quicky, but when the house had some excitement in it, he would 'forget' his training. Just do the best you can and be consistent with your pup, and eventually she will be trained. Good luck!