Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 3 beautiful maremmas

kalolin
April 17th, 2004, 11:24 AM
These are my 3 angels, Sharmyn, Lilee and Bear, yes, Bear is a girl, that was my husband's idea to call her that ;) .http://

Luba
April 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
They are absolutely GORGEOUS

hugs hugs hugs to all three of them, come play with meeee :D haha Great looking family u got there!

mona_b
April 17th, 2004, 11:52 AM
OMG.

They ARE gorgeous.

I have a question for you about this beed.

Someone had said(another site) that they do not make a good pet because they are a "flock" breed.Is this true with this breed?

I know a few people who have "flock" breeds.

Example,Great Pyr....and Kuvasz....And they are loving loyal family dogs.:D

chico2
April 17th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I am speachless....beautiful,beautiful dogs!!
I am kind dumb about dogs,are they Newfoundlanders?
OOPs.I missed the Maremmas part...

amaruq
April 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM
OHHH very nice!

Catt31
April 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM
SWEETTTT!!! They are adorable!! I don't know much about that breed either...fill us all in!!!:D

chico2
April 17th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Maremma in my dictionary means:A marshy usually malarious region by the sea-shore:D Now,why would they decide to give that name to a breed of dog,especially beautiful ones like yours:confused:

Spoiled
April 18th, 2004, 10:02 AM
I think Marremas are cattle dogs. Wow, what pretty dogs!

mona_b
April 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Actually the are flock gaurdiens.

http://www.geocities.com/maystarrmaremmas/whatis.html

kalolin
April 18th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone, thank you very much for the compliments. I did post some info on another thread but I see someone has posted an excellent site on these magnicficant creatures. They normally don't make good "pets" as we know the word pet and they have a mind of all their own, they do stuff when they want to do, not because you tell them to. But they are excellent companion animals. They do not need us humans to tell them what to do because of their natural instincts to guard, but I have to admit they are very, very pig headed and you have to be very patient with them because if you ever abuse one, they never, ever forget. I've been lucky with my 3, Bear and Lilee were not exposed to alot of people which make them excellent guardians, which is not to get confused with guard dogs, they are totally different. Sharmyn has been exposed a little more because I'm raising her differently but don't get me wrong she is still very protective over everything! Maremmas are used mainly for guarding sheep, alpacas, goats etc. but are also used for chickens, other pets and just about anything else that needs guarding. Right now I beleive there are only a few breeders here in Canada. My dogs parents came from B.C. but there is a breeder in Ont. too.

http://www.abruzzese.org/ this site is right in Italy where the breed orginates if anyone is interesting in learning more about them, as I stated in my other post, I've only had these girls for almost 2 years and am still learning about them. Hope this answers all your questions, and thanks for taking an interest in these wonderful dogs!

Sneaky2006
September 21st, 2004, 02:55 PM
Beautiful dogs!!!! I wanna pet em!!! :) They do look like angels!

db7
September 21st, 2004, 03:19 PM
Is a coastal region on the south west corner of Tuscany, about 1.5 hrs north of Rome roughly between Orbetello and Grosseto.

The first use of these dogs was and remains to guard the local breed of sheep from rustlers and agressive animals - originally wolves, now wild dogs, and also large cats.

They are also used to guard the homes and villas. They were not bred for guarding cattle nor herding. The local Maremmana cattle are left in the wild and rounded up semi-annually by the Butteri - the Italian cowboy, riding the now rare Maremmana horse. The same horse that was traditionally used in the Palio races in Siena.

The dog is very closely relatedf to the Abruzzese, in Italy it is now considered the same breed. IT is thought to have originated in eastern Europe and brought to the region by Huns. THe region has been militarily important for centuries due to the promonatory at Orbetello, every empire of importance has been in the Marrema at some point so it is really not possible to know who brought the dogs to Italy.

krdahmer
September 21st, 2004, 11:50 PM
AWWWWW white and fluffy and cute!!!!

Cinnabear
September 22nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
Wow you learn something new every day. I didn't know that there was a maremma breed of dog. Nice family. :)

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
db7, what kind of dog(s) do YOU have?? :)

excellent pix btw!!

glasslass
September 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Oh . . WOW! They are so beautiful! Are these the dogs that are actually raised with the sheep so that they regard the flock as their pack?

debanneball
September 24th, 2004, 08:44 AM
WOW.....georgeous. I was wondering what the breed looked like, I had never heard of them before. Learn something new everyday. :D

db7
September 24th, 2004, 10:37 PM
waggie - i just have the one GSP. The bigger one in the pic belongs to my sisters family.

wAggie
September 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
"just one"... hehehe

is he a handful? was he ever? ;)

db7
September 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Mulan is a doll. She's actually the most calm gsp I 've had (3 previously). It's been a slow adjustment for her coming from a farm with a dozen GSP's and lots of field and forest to the city. She's learning with every new thing she encounters.

My sister's GSP Chief however, is a madman. Should have named him Cyclone methinks. :D

wAggie
September 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
HAHAHAHA, looks like u gotta ignore that last post I made! :o

And I gotta flip over to the "she" part :p

that's awesome! I think I'm gonna stick w pointers and the like, I'm sooooooo terribly in love w them, their personality totally fits mine... back when Choco was a pup, my mom always said we were both too hyper for one another. and I should spend the time calling him down... ahhaha

ok, ok.

it sounds so cute that she's actually SHY... for now, mind u, i'm sure ;)

let us know how the progress is coming along of taking that safety shell away from her for her to find herself in ur environment/lifestyle :)

oooh, I'm excited, this oughta be good! :p