Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Contaminant in Royal Canin

rainbow
April 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
There's a new contaminant in Royal Canin foods that are available in Canada:

http://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-canin-canada-recalls-additional-cat-and-dog-food_20070422

TeriM
April 24th, 2007, 01:48 AM
UPDATE: The toxin found in these foods is cyanuric acid - not melamine. This is the first recall attributed to cyanuric acid.

Royal Canin has discovered a new contaminant in rice gluten. This contaminant is cyanuric acid, which is chemically related to, but distinct from, melamine.

:sad: :sad:

Prin
April 24th, 2007, 01:50 AM
:sad: :sad:

TeriM
April 24th, 2007, 01:51 AM
If it wasn’t confusing enough, three more toxins were found in the urine and kidneys of sick pets.

Researchers in at least three labs found cyanuric acid, amilorine and amiloride — all by-products of melamine — in the crystals of animals’ urine, tissues and kidneys…

Finding cyanuric acid is the more significant finding, Hoff, Goldstein and Mullaney said, although they are not yet certain how toxic it is to animals.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web site said, “When ingested (by humans) in large amounts, the substance may have effects on the kidneys, resulting in tissue lesions.”

Also, pigs that ate contaminated rice protein were slaughtered and sold before the government could quarantine them. It is not clear whether the meat made it into consumers’ hands. The pigs ate salvaged pet food from Diamond Pet Foods.

Researchers also ruled out aminopterin, previously announced by NY state. No explanation is given as to how this decision was made.

It sure is strange that we haven't heard any more about the aminopterin since the original press conference :confused: .

TeriM
April 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Also from Itchmo

Amiloride is a potassium sparing diuretic. It causes the body to lose water, but not potassium. In high enough doses, this will result in too high levels of potassium in the blood (a well known finding in affected animals). High levels of potassium can be devastating, and include sudden cardiac arrest.
Cyanuric acid is used to stabilize chlorine in swimming pools. Ingested over the long term it will cause kidney problems, liver problems, anorexia and metabolic changes.
I think we have started figuring out why the melamine was so toxic - since its breakdown products seem to be more toxic than the starting material (melamine).

krdahmer
April 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM
The receptionist at my vets called about this one as soon as they got the fax to check my food. So far it's still not been recalled, thank God. I'm in the middle of switching to Calif. Naturals. But I was in Virginia when this one came out and just about had a heart attack being so far away and not knowing what was goin on.... this really is getting ridiculous AND I've heard that China is not even allowing anyone to investigate.:frustrated: