Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tainted petfood beeing fed to hogs

chico2
April 21st, 2007, 03:54 PM
I read this in the Star this morning,if these hogs are not sold as food,what would they be?? Pets???Tainted pet food being fed to hog

Apr 21, 2007 04:30 AM
WASHINGTON–Pet food tainted with the chemical melamine was found in feed rations on a California hog farm and may show up on other U.S. farms, state and federal officials said yesterday.

Used in plastics and fertilizer, melamine has been found in imported wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate and is suspected of causing pets to fall ill and die. More than 100 brands of pet food have been recalled after reports of pet kidney failures.

California officials said Diamond Pet Foods sold pet food to American Hog Co., which used it as a feed ingredient. Tests found melamine in feed at the farm and in urine from the hogs.

Richard Breitmeyer, the state veterinarian, said it was "not uncommon" for pet food makers to sell scrap material to feedlots.

Stephen Sundlof, head of the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said five pet food makers including Diamond Pet Foods had received shipments of rice protein concentrate.

Officials said there was no evidence that pork products from the farm entered the food supply, but they were still tracking the whereabouts of all the hogs produced there since April 3. Some 126 of the hogs are known to have been slaughtered for meat.

Royal Canin USA said yesterday it was recalling all of its dry pet food products containing rice protein concentrate because a melamine derivative was found.

Reuters News Agency

SPECIALS

SableCollie
April 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ugh. Glad I don't eat meat. I almost want to start growing my own food, I don't trust anything anymore. :sad:

glasslass
April 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
I read this in the Star this morning,if these hogs are not sold as food,what would they be?? Pets???

This is just a few miles from me! Our local newspaper explained that the farm sells the hogs direct to consumers, not to commercial outlets. Evidently, it's cheap feed, nutritionally acceptable for hogs. They buy bags that have been ripped or otherwise damaged that can't be sold in stores. Gives new meaning to the term "grain-fed".

marsupial mama
April 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I almost want to start growing my own food, I don't trust anything anymore.

I am beginning to feel that way too. I eat meat (but not pork) but am growing increasingly sickened by the whole food industry.

the farm sells the hogs direct to consumers

I'm a bit baffled by this - does it mean the consumers slaughter them themselves?? I guess one could keep it and feed it long enough to get the nasty stuff out of its system...??

chico2
April 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
With consumers,I suppose they mean slaughterhouses:confused:

rainbow
April 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
I read the company sells them to people that want to barbeque a whole pig on a spit. :sad:

chico2
April 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Wow and that's ok,even though they ate contaminated feed:yell:
I eat pork(so far)but could never stommache seeing a piglet or large pig on a spit,hypocrite I know,but its easier to see chops in a package.