Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Show cats

kathryn
April 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting involved with the TICA cat shows but I don't know how it all works. I mean I read up alot on catshows and the rules and stuff. I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice. The next pet show near me is January 2008 so I have plenty of time to train my cats and get them ready.

How do i get them tent things?? And how do I train my cat to take a crap in them little tiny litter boxes? Socks is a very very messy cat when it comes to the litter box and usually likes to dig and scratch the whole box before she does anything.

I'm entering them in the household cat division of course.

Any help for a newbie? My moms okay with me showing my cats and Socks & Kasey are very sweet and like to be held and handled. Missy and Maxwell not as much but yeah.

Maya
April 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Um does it cost? Sorry I know nothing about it but I don't really see the point. I was involved in competitive sports, seems kind of silly to compete in litter box abilities.:p As you can tell I lost my competitive spirit a long time ago. I'd spend the money (if it costs) on some kind of hobby for yourself E.g music, dance, weight lifting etc. Cats like to sleep and cuddle for the most part, why not let them get thier beauty sleep while you take up some other activity? Thats just my :2cents: for what its worth. Good luck though if you pursue it, maybe someone here will have better advice.:)

kathryn
April 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Not much to enter. It's not free but i know it's not expensive at all.

I'm bored with most everything else. I paint and do arts and crafts and stuff. I really want to show my cat's though. Especially Kasey. He's really outgoing and loves to be held and stuff. I just figured it would be a fun hobby and I could show off how much cuter my cats are then other cats :p

mona_b
April 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Why don't you go to one of the shows first and ask questions?They would be able to help you out.:)

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think as to expense, it depends on where you live and how many shows you travel to - that kind of thing. The fee itself is not expensive but it is the travelling to the events, the grooming and vet visits (which are part of having a cat anyway tho one might tend to spend more on grooming for showing tho many I know have their own tried and true techniques). There are special cages you need to keep the kitties in and hotel bills and all those kind of axillary costs I guess I add into the regular fees.

You have to have a cat who is considered show quality so of course that will cost you in the beginning - unless you are entering the one category some have for regular domestic cats which is a nice way to participate for those who want that experience. If you are thinking of the actual TICA and other cat shows, your cat must be registered - and if you buy a show quality kitten, it will already be registered. If it is not, you will have to do it. But most breeders register their litters almost as soon as they are born and they know what cats are show quality and which are pet quality.

Almost everyone whop starts out finds a mentor but first, you should visit as many shows as possible and find out what it like and even if you would enjoy the experience. Your cat obviously needs to be a cat unafraid of others and willing to take part too. Often, your breeder if s/he (tho most are women it seems) will be a mentor of they have time. If you hang around shows enough, you may very well find a mentor.

The Cat Fanciers Assn has a list of shows on its site somewhere!

http://www.cfa.org/

This page explains some of your questions:

http://www.cfa.org/articles/ready-set-show.html

Good luck!!

kathryn
April 22nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks! Back in January my mom took me to one, and it seemed interesting. I talked to one of the people in charge and they gave me a flyer and told me to go to the website for information.

I don't plan on being all serious in it, like just for fun. I will be entering the house cat catagory which doesn't require much, it's sort of just a catagory for people like me who want to show off their house cats without taking it all mega seriously.

I would't actually have to worry about the hotel bills as the place it's at is 10 minutes away from my house so all I'd have to do is drive up there in the morning and hang out for the day.

When I get older I want to get more involved with cat/dog shows so I figured I should start now and when I'm older and everything I can enter into the champion breed stuff. Hopefully if I have the money :P