Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yahoo! made my own dog food! sorry really long!

golfgirl
April 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hi everyone, I just want to offer my "hugs" for everyone having to deal with the negative consequences of all this pet food recalls. I, like everyone else read everything I can to make sure our little Bailey is safe. I am totally discouraged and am starting to feel like we should be suspect of every pet food (especially after reading parts of "food pets die for") Currently we feed Bailey Evo, but I have always had a slight apprehension of the high protein, phosphorus in it. However, I feel that is the best grain free diet there is. As a treat, (and to stop husband giving her table scraps!) I have been giving her a bit of canned evo. I know that their food is said to be safe, but their canned food is done by the other plant of menu foods. I am not 100% confident, that other pet foods ingredients CANT get into their food-but that is my insecurity with this whole thing. After reading as much "free" information on cooking for your dog, I decided to try and make my own wet food. It took exactly 1/2 an hour to make 12 days worth at the cost of $6.00. I fried up ground chicken (which I will hunt for on sale next time) which gave me about 4 cups of cooked meat. I steamed mixed veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower) and cooked one sweet potatoe. I pureed the veggies, sweet potatoe and ended up with 1 cup of "mush". I added the mush to the ground chicken, added about 3 tsp. of olive oil, about 1 tsp. of garlic powder. Mixed everything together and crossed my fingers!! Bailey LOVED it! I will still feed her evo kibble until I can get a better book on cooking for your dog. I should say that this homemade recipe was for her wet treat. She is a shihpoo who weighs 10 pounds. The main reason I don't go for raw (I still think this is probably the best way to feed our dogs) is that I know you have to be very careful with cleanliness so as not to transfer harmful bacteria and Bailey has quite a full moustache/beard and we allow her to kiss us on the face-I'd hate to have to worry about getting salmonella from her and don't want to train her not to show us her affection. Sorry this is so long, but I feel for what everyone is going through and just wanted to reassure that it wasn't hard to cook this. If anyone has suggestions for a good supplement I'd love to hear from you!

Lissa
April 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM
That's great! Don't forget that a homeprepared diet is all about variety!

I think you may want to evaluate the recipes' calcium-phosphorous ratio though... Also, I'd use a fish body oil instead of olive oil... And fresh garlic instead of garlic powder (its questionable whether the allicin in garlic is active in powdered or capsule form).

Good luck!

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Congratulations! and thank you for sharing your story - I hope it will encourage others to try this route. A few hours per month of cooking for your cat or dog... it's not alot to give for security, health and happiness. think of all the vet bills you will probably NOT have for this-and-that issues, thanks to improved nutrition!

The only advice I can give you is to add some calcium to the cooked food, to balance out the phosphorus in the meat. Dr Pitcairn says 1 tsp of ground eggshells for every 1 lbs of meat (raw weight). Just keep all your eggshells instead of tossing them out, in a couple of weeks it can add up to alot! Dry them gently in a mild oven for a few minutes and pulverize in your coffee grinder. very simple, and pure bioavailable calcium for your dog.

Go ahead and add some eggs to your mixture too, it's excellent nutrion :thumbs up