Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

These food recalls raise the question:

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Do you REALLY know what you are feeding your pet?

Do you REALLY know where the brut ingredients comes from? Which country? Which laws govern those countries? Which parts of the grain? Which parts of the animal? What quality of vitamins and minerals? What pesticides, antibiotics, etc were used? Which factory is the product assembled? How clean are the machines? The facilities? What other foods of other brands are made ther? How hygenic are the worker's practices? From start to end? How often inspections are run on the facilities, the unprocessed ingredients, the final batches of food? Are your REALLY getting what you think you are in that bag or can or pouch of food?

There is SO MUCH MORE to food than just reading the labels, and the recalls are bringing some of this to light.

:sad:

breeze
April 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
but if you play the game to that extent you can drive yourself insane. same goes for human food do you really know the hygene of the workers that cut the meet make chips and pick the fruit or veggies do they really take off the pestisides and what not, I don't know about you but I am going insane thinking about it all.

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
yeah, breeze i hear you... had this ongoing conversation in my head today on my way to work! :o but i can rationalize it by choosing what i buy and where, encouraging local farmers, i can wash and disinfect the raw product (as much as I can) before cooking it, and avoid processed foods, mystery mush in cans, restaurants, etc. I mean it would suck! but it can be done, you know? our pets... they have no choice, they eat what we feed them.

the world is getting out of hand IMO. :frustrated:

breeze
April 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I second that TD we do what we can and hope for the best.

maybe we should not feed our pet (just joking) we reily on the food industrie to supply us with the best pet food. Maybe instead of worring about the cost they should be worring about quallity.

but even in human food we are not gaurented (spelling)
I guess also in pet food.
too many of your pets are affectived when will it stop !! and canada does not have srict laws for this maybe we should what worked so many years ago does not work now, things do have to change. but it will take time and money that no one wants to spend

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Hey remember the Depeche Mode song "New Dress"? (i am a child of the 80's music, LOL!)

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

breeze
April 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I don't know the song maybe my husband would he know more music than me but it sure sounds good to me :thumbs up

there has to be a way for the company who make the dog food dry and mosit to come up with a way to make good food at a low cost without fillers or contaminates.. so that low or middle class income families can afford to feed thier pets good food, everyone and every pet deseves that chance,
I am very thankful that my boys and of course us are able to afford the dog food that Bree is on, I was feeding her a not so good food and she was always getting sick we changed her and is doing very well, her coat, her teeth, and she has much more energy, but without the boys help i would not be able to ((that reminds me to get new pics of her and post them) But what of the other people that does not have the help I do?? it bothers me to no end, I wopuld just like it to STOP

Dogastrophe
April 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
The entire pre-packaged food industry (human and animal supply chains) are susceptible to the same problems currently being seen in the pet food industry. With the goal of companies to increase razor thin profits by reducing costs, the focus is on low cost suppliers rather than on best quality suppliers. Saving 1/10 of a cent per pound can translate into millions of dollars of cost savings.

However, as already stated in the above posts, we, and often even the companies purchasing the products, know nothing about the manner in which the products are being produced nor about the trace ingredients that may be present in the main ingredient.

Unfortunately, foods tainted with contaminants will be with us for a long long time so long as pre-processed foods continue to exist (even fresh from the farm meats can become tainted if the feed, which is generally purchased from outside suppliers, is contaminated). :mad:

gomez
April 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Uffff - that's a toughie...

If you knew what goes on in restaurant kitchens and butcher shops, etc...

I think even if you are feeding raw or cooking for your pet, you can never be 100% sure unless you are rearing your own livestock, growing your own veg, etc...

rainbow
April 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Exactly. :thumbs up

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
oh i agree, we have NO idea what we are eating most of the time... and that scares me. just last week TWO of my colleagues at work got food poisoning from two different restaurants :eek: guess where I won't eat anymore, ever!

but... if you make your own dog food for example, you strip away 90% of the "mystery factor" because you see the raw ingredients and can decide what to include or not. Know what i mean?...

gomez
April 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM
mmmmm, yes and no....

do you always know exactly where the raw food you are buying has been? Are you sure that the knife that they used to cut your piece was not used to cut some, say... guts just before?

or some guy cut his finger and bled onto the piece of meat and did not log it in the records?

or if the lady stacking the veg has gastro and did not wash her hands?

I think we all have to answer "no" to the above

I agree that you do minimise the risk by cutting out a lot more middlemen, but not by that much -

Sorry, I don't mean to be argumentative or partake in scaremongering, but being in the food industry, I have seen a lot, too much maybe!!

goldengal
April 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
I don't know how any of the pet food companies can say they do not purchase any ingredients from China. So many foods today contain Glucosamine, and 90% of it is produced in China.

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
gomez, i agree with you that "nobody knows unless you grow it yourself"... i am just saying that if you make food from scratch (yours or the dog's), you eliminate most of the "mystery factor" in terms of the quality of the raw ingredients. you can clean and pare the veggies - and then you know they aren't dirty, rotten or moldy. you can choose the nice cuts of red meats from the butchers - and know the meat isn't leftovers and byproducts riddled with cancerous growths and worms. you can get organic grains and cook them yourself, and you know they aren't moldy, mixed with sawdust and dirt, full of bugs, etc. That is what i'm trying to say :)

erykah1310
April 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
gomez, i agree with you that "nobody knows unless you grow it yourself"... i

Exactly why I am so thankful that I live where I do and am doing just that this year:thumbs up
Its scary to think about what " could" have happened to your food, your familys food, or your pets food prior to ending up on the table or in the dish.
Im turning into a hippy germaphobe :laughing: and have decided that I am sick of letting other people handle my food, tell me how good it is for me, and hiding the "truths" about it from me.
Im taking back my food control!:D

gomez
April 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
you can choose the nice cuts of red meats from the butchers -

yes to a certain extent - you still don't know 100% what goes on behind the counter -

most of the really bad bacteria and stuff you can't see with the naked eye - cross-contamination can be nasty

all I'm saying is everything you put in your or your doggies' mouth carries a risk -

On another note, if you feed raw, are your dogs susceptible to salmonella and e-coli and so on - as we are? I really never thought about it... is this too much of a threadjack? is there another thread on this?

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 08:42 PM
if you feed raw, are your dogs susceptible to salmonella and e-coli and so on - as we are?

sure, but dogs are equipped to deal with that in a way that humans are not (unless the dog is weak, sick or is immuno-deficient). think of all the animals in the world eating raw meat every day - either freshly killed, or old carrion.

The funny thing is, i could never eat something that i knew when it was alive - if i were a farmer raising my food animals, i would starve! I'd feel like i'm eating my pets! :eek:

erykah1310
April 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
The funny thing is, i could never eat something that i knew when it was alive - if i were a farmer raising my food animals, i would starve! I'd feel like i'm eating my pets! :eek:

Yeah.... Ummmm, I'll let you know how that goes.... I guess you just have to stay distant from them, and NOT name them.:shrug:

meb999
April 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
(unless the dog is weak, sick or is immuno-deficient).

or can just plain not digest that diet ;)

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM
MEB, for sure! then you cook the food... still way better than anything that comes in a bag IMO, when it's done right ;)

Goldens4Ever
April 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM
..... can wash and disinfect the raw product (as much as I can) before cooking it......

How do you do that, exactly? :confused:

Goldens4Ever
April 21st, 2007, 11:51 PM
.....if i were a farmer raising my food animals, i would starve! I'd feel like i'm eating my pets! :eek:

Oh, I know, me too! I could never kill an animal that I've raised & then eat it! :mad: That is just wrong to me. :sad:

x.l.r.8
April 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
You would starve here:laughing: unless you decide to eat the potato bugs (there usually feed to the chickens). I'll take a nice roast over an omlette anyday ;) The cows are a sticking point as it's aways the nice ones you have to send away :sad: but then I DO know what I'm eating.
It's VERY expensive though if you plan on making any money out of it. Even feeding the chickens your own veg and grain, because the cost of just a few acres of grain outweights the operating cost, especially when GM crops or sprayed ones yeild so much more. no-one would pay $25 for a 6lb chicken and even if they would, to sell them means paying an extra $4 per bird for inspection. The way I see in, in a few years I'll have my landed status and be able to write off a portion of land as tax relief as it will be a suporting farm rather than a hobby. Many more people are growing their own veg in whatever space they can spare, soon people will revert back to post war Britian and have allotments to grow veg in :D

technodoll
April 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
goldens4ever, you can disinfect raw meat by soaking or rinsing it in white vinegar, then tap water.

xlr8, i'd buy meat from you anyday! if only you weren't so far :o