Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solid Gold foods MAY BE NEXT

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Just got word from a source from "inside" that some solid gold foods MAY be next on the recall list - no need to spread panic, it's just a head's up to keep vigilant!!!

from my akita forum:

... The latest I have heard is that SUPPOSEDly All of Royal Canin dry food (cat and dog) is being recalled (we are continually checking for confirmations on anything we hear). We are keeping an eye out for any hint of the companies and foods effected. Right now it is confirmed that the contaminated ingredients are Wheat Gluten, Rice Protein Concentrate, and Corn Gluten. The tricky part? A company has 6 Months to change their packaging label if they have changed their ingredient list. We also suspect that many of the Solid Gold foods will be affected and recalled due to their manufacturer and ingredients. The sad thing, many of these natural food companies are purchasing from Wilbur-Ellis - who also supply organic grains to human food product companies.

Tommysmom
April 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Hmmmm... I don't see any rice/wheat/corn gluten or protein concentrates in any of the solid gold ingredients at all. Are they thinking there is another ingredient that may be contaminated?

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I don't know, but it looks that way... unless SG again changed some recipes but have not yet updated their bags, cans, website, etc... I guess all we can do is "wait and see"... :sad:

Tommysmom
April 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Ugh... I'm going to call them when they open and find out if there's anything not listed on the bags. We already had to stop with the Natural Balance, I'd hate to lose Solid Gold too:sad: .

This is on their website:

We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

Hopefully that's true.

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Last I heard from them, they were testing all their ingredients... Remember this email I posted a couple days ago?

We actually sent some samples of food out for testing before the Natural Balance news, even though we do not have any suspicions of contamination. We have not received the results yet though.

Diamond Pet Products has assured us that the rice protein concentrate was purchased at the request of Natural Balance and only used in the recalled Natural Balance formulas. Rice protein concentrate and wheat gluten are not used in any Solid Gold products.

We have not had any reports of dogs or cats suffering acute kidney failure while eating Solid Gold foods.

Furryland
April 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
interesting, the cats haven't really taken to the catz n flocken so i guess i'll just set it aside till more is known, doesn't seem like they use any of those ingredients though?

i'm gathering cross contamination is the concern.

I have yet to see any other RC products put under recall but i stopped using their food quite a long time ago.

I have a orijin bag on hold to get tomorrow, so my :fingerscr are crossed the dolls like it.

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Their site was updated:

Re: Natural Balance Product Removal / Menu Foods

We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

All the ingredients in Solid Gold products are sourced domestically with three exceptions. The lamb meal used in our dry foods is sourced from New Zealand, which produces some of the cleanest meat in the world. The potato protein used in Barking at the Moon is sourced in Europe. Our Blended Tuna canned cat food (grain free) is produced offshore due to the lack of tuna processing plants in the United States.

Sincerely,

Steven J. Wirick
Chief Operating Officer
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc.

Tel. # 800-364-4863
Fax # 619-258-3907

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/news/

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
ah but here comes the loophole...

Wilbur-Ellis is a US company, so if the manufacturer of Solid Gold purchases grains (or grain fractions) from them they are not purchasing ingredients outside of the US.

tricky eh? :rolleyes:

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but they said "directly or indirectly".;)

technodoll
April 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
so they're covering their bases... good!

i really hope they're clean. :pray: but... i have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind... they have too many connections to troubled spots IMO.

I guess we'll rely on the media to bring more things to light in the next few weeks.

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Yep. For now, I trust Canidae and Solid Gold... :o That's about it.. Maybe Innova, too.

geisha
April 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
It's funny how there's been not one word about the NB recall in my newspaper. I've only heard about it through the internet & @ the pet store. This morning however there was a FULL page add from IAMS stating that they care about the health of our pets etc, etc. What's going on? There are lots of people out there feeding rice gluten who don't access forums...How is the word getting out to them??:frustrated:

geisha
April 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I've just written a letter to the editor of the Edmonton Journal requesting that he inform the readers about the latest recall. If your newspaper hasn't informed its subscribers perhaps remind them too! There wasn't one word about the menu foods CFO selling off his shares either. There was a full page add in the paper though from IAMS. :frustrated: :evil: Whats up with the press????

Mypetsrmykids
April 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I was concerned about Innova since that is what I now feed 2 of my dogs, the other one is on homemade food since she is in renal failure. I called the place where I buy the Innova and she said that she just received a letter from them assuring her that their food is totally safe. They don't use any of the ingredients in question. They assured her that their food will never be involved in the recall. That put my mind at ease and she also told me that they don't even buy foods with US ingredients of this type because they are not quality foods. I have been advising my clients to change over to the Innova. I can't believe how many people have given up on the manufacturers and are making their own food. I'm so glad that so many care enough about their pets. I wish everyone did!

chico2
April 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I give my walkingcompanion Bailey Solid Gold...Beef and Barley as a treat,I certainly do not want to poison her:sad:
Reading the ingredients it says nothing about anything gluten:confused:

rainbow
April 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yep. For now, I trust Canidae and Solid Gold... :o That's about it.. Maybe Innova, too.

:confused: Natura (Innova) has their OWN plant to manufacture their dry food. Canidae is made at the Pied Piper plant in Texas and Solid Gold is made at one of the Diamond plants.

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM
But owning your own plant doesn't mean you don't buy suspect goods, you know? :o :shrug:

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Well, like the others, they say they don't. I emailed them yesterday for clarification. Will post the reply. :)

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks. :)

gomez
April 21st, 2007, 01:14 AM

Eagle Pack Holistic? You don't trust them??

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM
Actually, I think Naturapet and Champion Pet Foods are the two that I trust the most. :)

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot Champion. They're ok too.

Eagle pack I just don't like, so I won't comment on them.:D

gomez
April 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM
WHAT?!?!?

Why not??

That's what I switched Gomez to over here....

tell me why, pm if you want...

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:50 AM
lol, it's ok. It's just a personal thing.. I just don't think "holistic" foods (or foods sold as holistic) should have some of the ingredients that a lot of the Eagle Pack formulas have (like beet pulp and corn). :shrug: It's really a personal thing.:o Some of their foods do fill a niche and dogs do well on them... :o

gomez
April 21st, 2007, 02:06 AM
hmph....

ok - I'm running out of options here! don't scare me like that....!

they don't have corn in them (at least not the ones I have bought for him) but they do have dried beet pulp... :yell:

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 02:12 AM
Beet pulp isn't the worst.. I mean it's not like meat by-products or anything. It's just a stool hardener that I'd rather not be in there... :shrug:

goldengal
April 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM
Re Eagle Pack Holistic ..... There is no corn in any of the Holistic line. While there is corn gluten in the Natural line, they use corn gluten made in IN & IO and it has been tested. A while back I spent a lot of time checking out dried beet pulp, and there are many fallacies surrounding it. I (this is just me) do not see it as a bad thing. I mean we don't want our pets to have loose stools.

It has been my experience that Eagle Pack responds expediently to queries so if anyone has any doubts re their food, I would suggest they write to them.

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
OK more info from my source...

But from what I understand is that Diamond is the manufacturer of Solid Gold, and they are experiencing - lets say technical difficulties. This is why we suspected that Solid Gold will show up on the recall list. I didn't say they Are on the list, just that we suspect they could end up on the list.

Jellybean
April 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
What about Wellness dog food? My Mindy really likes it, surprisingly. She's always been such a fussy eater. I had been giving her Science Diet, but when she had a bout of diarrhea, I changed to Wellness. Someone on this forum recommended it, and I looked up the website. I feed her the dry food mixed with water to soften it and sometimes add some boiled hamburger.
Her stools are now perfect, whereas when I was feeding her Mighty dog and then Science Diet, her stools were always very soft and then runny.
So far Wellness is a safe dog food (isn't it??). I am really impressed with the ingredients in their food. I tried mixing the canned with the dry but found that she prefers just the dry. It's such a good feeling to watch her enjoying her dinner finally! :cloud9:

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Wellness is a bit grainy, but it's definitely better than Science diet. :sick: It hasn't been implicated in any of the recalls so far...:fingerscr

Techno, the problem with all this food stuff is people jump to conclusions so quickly and rumors spread like wild fire.:rolleyes: I try to be clear when I post worries and rants because word does travel so far so fast. :o I don't take accusations and suspicions lightly, you know? Suspicions and accusations coming from me, I mean.

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
yeah prin i hear you... :fingerscr it's all it is, rumors. but sometimes they do have some truth in them so maybe better be safe than sorry? juuust in case? :o i dunno anymore... am not doing this for myself, as you know... :o

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, for sure, I know it's not you. But I wish other people in general would say "Keep an eye on Solid gold because it's made by Diamond" rather than "Solid gold is going to be on the list!! WATCH out! The end is near!" :D You know? :D

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Well, like the others, they say they don't. I emailed them yesterday for clarification. Will post the reply. :)

I got a reply from Innova (Naturapet) from the girl that usually replies. She said she was referring my questions to her supervisor.

Skryker
April 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
I so hope SG is fine! I just got Dancer back to a good weight after her fussy hunger strike. She loves the KatznFlocken so I really don't want to change-and I'd feel hugely guilty if I switched her from a safe food to one that's not. :fingerscr

Oh,man, this has been so scary!

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
I got a reply from Innova (Naturapet) from the girl that usually replies. She said she was referring my questions to her supervisor.

EEK! The end is near! :yell: :laughing:

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
"Keep an eye on Solid gold because it's made by Diamond"

yep! let that be the jist of this thread :thumbs up

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
EEK! The end is near! :yell: :laughing:

Do you mean the end of me feeding Innova? :D

meb999
April 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
The susupected ingredient is wheat Gluten. They've taken precautionairy measures by also calling back foods with Rice Protein Concentrate, and Corn Gluten. None of those are present in Solid Gold Foods....

I think we should stop disinformation and keep to the facts. Has this recall scared most of us? Heck yeah, but remember WHICH foods were recalled and which were ACTUALLY linked with health problems. Most hollistic foods have been forthright about where their ingredients come from.
Be carefull what you post. On 3 of the 4 raw forums I belong to, they say that ALL kibble wil KILL your dog....just because it's said on the net, doesn't make it true.

This site has been really good about sticking to the facts, and warning people about the foods that DO post a danger to our pets. Let's keep it that way and not add to the hysteria...

Salmon Meal | Beef | Potatoes | Potato Protein | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid

Oatmeal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Millet | Ocean Fish | Potatoes | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid

Lamb | Lamb Meal | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Millet | Rice Bran | Oatmeal | Ocean Fish Meal | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Bison | Salmon Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D3 Supplement | Folic Acid |

Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D3 Supplement | Folic Acid |

Prin
April 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
This site has been really good about sticking to the facts, and warning people about the foods that DO post a danger to our pets. Let's keep it that way and not add to the hysteria...
:highfive:

Do you mean the end of me feeding Innova? Not necessarily.. Doom and gloom! :D

technodoll
April 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
but ya gotta think. if the Diamond plant is having "issues" and SG is made at that plant... cross-contamination is a real possibility. I dunno. It would nag at me if I fed the stuff... not saying I would stop but I wouldn't feel exactly comfortable either. ya know? :o

Jellybean
April 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Prin - Why do you think that Wellness dry food is a "bit grainy"?? I really would like to know - is that bad for dogs, in your opinion?