Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Queen Waldorf

Winston
April 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM
I thought I would post this update since I am sure many people wonder how this doggie might be doing..I captured this update from the Humane Society Web Site....What a difference with a little TLC...

Queen Waldorf update: April 17, 2007
Thank you very much for expressing an interest in Queen Waldorf.

First an update on her veterinary issues. She has very infected eyes, ears and skin. At this time the veterinarian does not believe she has mange. She has given us antibiotics to treat the skin with; as well we are feeding her a lamb and rice dog food since the vet suggested that her problems may stem from untreated allergies. We are also treating her inflamed and itchy ears – which she isn’t too happy about. She also likes to spit her pill out – so she’s getting a treat of peanut butter to make the medicine go down!! On the plus side, she does not have heartworm, or other major problems that would show up in blood work (such as thyroid problems). She does have continuing urinary issues though. She was urinating out blood along with urine; although since she has been on the antibiotics this seems to be getting better. She will be going back to the vet on Friday (April 20) for a recheck and another urinalysis. She may need x-rays to determine if she has bladder stones, but the vet will decide once she sees Queen’s progress. Generally, she is much happier and likes to play ball with the staff.

Secondly, some of you have expressed how upsetting this situation is and how frustrating it is hearing about how people who are cruel to animals are dealt with in our legal system. If you are interested in trying to effect change you may try three approaches:

Contact your local MPP and the Attorney General’s office to request that the government (swiftly) appoint more Justices. There is an unbelievable backlog in the courts which impacts our cases if the Crown’s office has to pick between a huge number of cases ours often end up at the bottom of the pile (they often don’t rank very high on the importance scale for the court staff). You may also, politely, suggest that Crowns and Justices be educated about the connection between cruelty to animals and violence to women and children in particular, and other humans in general.
Contact your local MP and suggest that they pay close attention to the suggestions put forward by Canadian Federation of Humane Societies and other humane groups in regard to the sections in the Criminal Code of Canada that deal with animals. They are antiquated (to say the least) and animals are still considered property. It is the belief of people working in animal welfare and humane society/SPCA supporters that these sections do not reflect Canadian Society’s viewpoint.
At the local level, you may suggest to your local Municipal Councilor that they change the by-laws to include animal care sections (this has been done in Toronto, Haldimand, Lincoln, Innisfil). These allow the local animal control providers to address issues in an immediate fashion hopefully preventing them from becoming a BIG issue – like poor Queen.
Valerie Brown

General Manager

Winston
April 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM
a picture doing a little better

chico2
April 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Winston,the first pic of her is enough to make you cry:sad:
It's heartwarming to know she is now getting the care she needs,hopefully eventually a loving home:pray:
It is worrysome to know,evil people like her owners are walking freely among us,may they rot in a very hot place:evil:
:pray: for Queen Waldorf:pray:
Thank's for the update:dog:

TeriM
April 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM
Such a heartbreaking story. I'm glad she is doing better though :thumbs up . Is there any news on her owners (may they rot in hell) ?

Winston
April 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
Nothing really TeriM but this was on the site from the other day!

1 potential lead into ownership as of today, second lead was not legit.

Cindy

rainbow
April 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
What a very sad story. :sad: And, I hope she finds the loving forever home she so deserves. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: I also hope the potential lead finds the owners and justice is served. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

dustybird
April 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM
I just can't put into words how upset I get when I hear stories like this, and then seeing her picture just hurts that much more. Makes one want to jump through the computer screen to give her a big hug. :grouphug:

Glad to hear she is doing better and I really hope she finds the perfect home.

May the things, as they can't possibly be human get what's comming to them and then some.

cpietra16
April 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
I would be nice to tie some 5lbs weights on the owner and have them try to swim out....:evil:
I really care less and less for some humans..:mad:

Winston
April 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Dustybird I hope I did not upset you by posting the pics! I figured many people heard and saw the news reports..It is such a disgusting, horrific thing to do and like others have said! I hope she finds her forever home where she will never have to deal with such a sick owner again!

Cindy

chico2
April 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Winston,I too cried seeing the pic of this poor dog,it's ok to show the pic,knowing she was rescued:dog:
Now,if they could only find the owners and stick them in jail for 10yrs(or more),that would be even better.:evil:

Frenchy
April 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
omg :sad: the first pic, this is how she was found ? :sad: Everytime I read a story like this one, I just want to adopt them so they can get unlimited cuddles and kisses for the rest of their lifes. She looks much better now.

May the person that did this to her rots in hell :mad:

Winston
May 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Here is a great update on Queen Waldorf!!! Many of us have said that the person should rot in ??? that did this!!! Well good news!!! They have charged the sick person that did this!!! Although 6 months in jail or a $2000.00 fine is never going to be uenough of a deterent I am certainly glad that the person was caught!! See the update below:

Cindy

On May 2nd, 2007 Joseph Cote (51) of Fort Erie was charged criminally by the Niagara Falls Humane Society for:(1) Failing to provide suitable and adequate care for a dog

(2) Permit unnecessary suffering to a dog by failing to provide veterinary treatment

(3) abandon a dog in distress

First court appearance is June 20th, 2007 at 59 Church St. in St. Catharines at 9:00am.

** Defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty at trial**

May 1, 2007

Queen Waldorf is doing very well. Her last urinalysis (last Friday) came back clear! Which is very exciting considering how much blood was in her urine to start with. Her skin is slowly looking better (although she is still on antibiotics and another drug for the inflammation). She is getting her fur back too! Her ears are getting better as well. The staff person who works with her the most told me that her personality is coming out more – she is “sassy”! She is a good girl to, she puts up with the daily ear cleaning and now she sits to have her peanut butter pill ball! She is going back to the vet for a recheck on May 7th.

You may have also read on the website that we have found the owner. This is due to a conscientious person coming forward with information to help us. We are presently investigating the situation to try to piece the story together.

A big thank you to those of you who took the time to write to your MP, MPP, or City Councilor as I suggested in the last update. Hopefully, with enough critical mass you will be able to effect positive change for the animals.

Finally, many people have expressed an interest in taking Queen into their home and making the final years of her life the best. We will be taking applications for her starting May 8th. She is used to living with another dog, however we do not know how she will be with cats. We do not advise any small children. She will require continuing vet care, probably for the rest of her life. She should also be kept on a high quality hypo-allergenic diet. We will make a decision on the best home for her sometime in the last week of May. Her new family will be required to attend our Wiggle Waggle Walkathon on June 3rd where Queen will kick off the walk!

We would also like to thank all the people who have kindly donated to assist in the care of this wonderful dog. If you are interested in making a donation to assist in the care of Queen Waldorf or other animals in our care please click on the Donate Now icon below to make yiour secure donation.

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you for this update ! I know I'm a bit emotional this week, reading this did it for me, thank dog I'm alone in my office :o

I can see they are looking to find the best of the best family for her :thumbs up Can't wait to hear new updates, I wish I could give her a big hug :dog:

Winston
May 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Oh Frenchy! I did not mean to upset you in anyway!!

:sorry:

Cindy

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Oh Frenchy! I did not mean to upset you in anyway!!

:sorry:

Cindy

Oh no , it's me ! This story is so sad. I shouldn't look at that first pic :sad: This poor poor dog :sad: But things are finally looking up for her :thumbs up

Love4himies
May 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Does anybody have a link to the original story? Was this dog left to die a slow and torturous death?? I just don't get some people!:mad: :mad:

Winston
May 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Queen Waldorf (her new name!) was dumped off a bridge near Niagara Falls Ontario with 5lb weights around her neck....Long story short she survived and swam to a boat launch and curled up in a ball until she was found by some people passing by! A bit of the story is posted on the Niagara Falls Humane Society Website...Here is a link:

http://www.niagarafallshumanesociety.com/

Cindy

Love4himies
May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the link.

That is so horrible. I am so glad the owners have been caught. The dog is a survivor!! Happy to hear she is doing OK:thumbs up

rainbow
May 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm so happy to hear that she is doing much better and will find a forever home soon. :highfive:

And, so glad they have found and charged the owner. :highfive: I hope he gets the maximum sentence. :fingerscr Even though it's not near enough, hopefully when he's behind bars, more justice will be done. :evil:

chico2
May 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Winston,thank you!!
I am like Frenchy,when it comes to injustice to animals,it just opens up the floodgates:sad:
However,this girl was very lucky,she could have drowned,which I am sure the owner was counting on:evil:
Even though his sentence will in no way fit his crime,at least he was caught:thumbs up and hopefully Queen Waldorf will live out her life surrounded by love and belly-rubs:pray:

cpietra16
May 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm glad that someone came forward and helped find this idiot. I was hoping for a harder sentence, but it's better than just a few hundred dollars and a slap on the wrist....enjoy the rest of your life Queenie...you deserve it.

what is truly sad...I bet she would wag her tail and give this idiot kisses if he ever should his face. Animals are so loyal despite how they're treated:sad:

TeriM
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the update. I am so happy to hear that she is doing well and will hopefully have a new forever home soon :fingerscr .

loopoo
May 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Any update on this sweetie? just wondered... hadnt heard, i follow all the stories, hope all get loving, forever homes, especially.. when i see something like this..

Dracko
May 14th, 2007, 01:28 AM
OMFG! You have to be kidding me that someone did this. I have no words. :mad:

Dracko
May 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I should know better than to read these stories. I am just sick to my stomach right now. I have to go do something to get the images out of my mind. What could a dog ever do to deserve something like this? NOTHING. :yell:

Winston
May 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM
loopoo....there has been no info to report except that she went up for adoption on May 8, 07..they have not announced who will provide her a forever home!

Dracko! my thoughts exactly when I saw this! I was horrified! but when I think of Wueen Waldorf it reminds me once again that we have to do something to change the laws with regards to this kind of abuse of animals! This idiot will get 6 months in jail or a $2000.00 fine...They never get them into court before 6 months is up so they tend to always get a fine! They would never want me to be a judge or jury! :mad:

Cindy

Winston
June 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Great news to report! Queen Waldorf has gone to her forever home! Yeah!!!!! There was an update on Chanell 11 news in Hamilton today showing her off and boy does she look good! She looks so much younger than that day she was found! Her new owner was proudly there to give her a brand new pink collar and leash..she will be kicking off the Niagara Falls Wiggle Waggle Walkathon!! I just hope someday justice will be done!!!

Cindy

Frenchy
June 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
wooohooo ! :highfive: I'm so happy for her. Wouldn't be great if her new owner would come here to post about her :crazy:

mummummum
June 2nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm glad this sweet grrrl will have a forever home in which she is cherished. As for her original murderous owner... really makes me wish for the old days of community justice and public stockades.

Dracko
June 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
I was almost afraid to click on the link and check if there was an update. Just sickens me to read these stories and see how cruel people can be.

But, thanks for posting this great update. :thumbs up

TeriM
June 2nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah, that is great news :highfive: .

angeldogs
June 2nd, 2007, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the update.glad she got her forever home.:highfive:

Winston
June 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
On the news report it showed her with her new Mom and maybe a grandchild....Boy she was prouncing around and giving big gentle kisses to the little boy who was probably about 2! It always amazes me to see such a tragedy and look how a dog is after all that....still willing to trust and love again! some humans can not seem to do this! Her eyes and ears also looked great...she really looks much younger...Too bad they didnt update her picture on the website!

Great end to a sad story!

chico2
June 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Winston,you made my day:thumbs up
Whether her original owner is punished or not,we know now she will have a good life,that's what is the most important:thumbs up
Hopefully karma will one day catch up with the evil beeing capable of doing this to her:pray:

zippy
June 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I saw Queen Waldorf today at the Niagara Falls Humane Society Walkathon and took this picture. It's hard to believe she is the same dog, she looks so good.

http://www.pbase.com/scottdwalker/image/79917506.jpg

Frenchy
June 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
omg that's her ? I would have never recognice her !!! She looks so good ! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

rainbow
June 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
WOO HOO for Queen Waldorf. :highfive: She is looking great and I am so glad that she has found a loving forever home. :cloud9:

grimm
June 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Zippy, this dog looks great, but there is no way that this is the same dog that was posted on Niagara Falls HS website six weeks ago.

http://www.niagarafallshumanesociety.com/images/DSCF4061.jpg

Are you sure that you took the pic of the right dog? :confused:

TeriM
June 4th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Wow, what a difference. You have just made my day to see her looking so loved and beautiful :cloud9: .

Love4himies
June 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the update, Winston, so happy she found a forever home :D .

chico2
June 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Grimm,it is indeed hard to believe it's the same dog,Zippy's pic looks like a much younger dog,much slimmer.:sad:
I am hoping it's her looking so wonderful,this story is a heartbreaker for sure,I can't even look at the pic from HS..:sad:
Maybe Winston can confirm this pic is of our Queen:confused:

Winston
June 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Yep that is Queen Waldorf! It is amazing what a little TLC can do!

Cindy

papillonmama
June 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM
What an amazing recovery and the fairytale ending is awesome, just what she deserves.

Furbaby Momma
June 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Thank You Winston for posting this thread, to see Queen Waldorf from the begining so beaten down, with her spirit so low. To the amazing picture that Zippy posted of Queen Waldorf smiling with all her glory.

:grouphug: to all the amazing people who took care of Queen Waldorf and to the loving family who adopted her. :cloud9:

rainbow
June 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
What an amazing recovery. :highfive:

chico2
June 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Winston and Zippy,that is a truly amazing recovery,thank you very much,she is a fighter for sure and I hope she'll now have a wonderful life:pray:

angeldogs
June 5th, 2007, 02:50 AM
OMG what a differance can make with so TLC. she is beautiful.