Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clarification on contaminated ingredients?

wmarcello
April 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
So, if it wasn't already out of control already, this recall is getting more and more confusing by the day. Ideally the best solution would be to go completely grain-free, but unfortunately for different reasons, this might be impossible for some people.

My question is this... what ingredients are most likely to be unsafe?

"Rice protein concentrate" seems to go by the name "rice gluten" as well. Are there any other variations that need to be looked out for? How about brewers rice? Brown rice? Ground rice? Rice flour? Rice bran? The list could go on I'm sure.

Same goes for "wheat gluten". I know there are many wheat-based ingredients out there. Which ones are the most heavily processed and most likely to be contaminated?

How about "corn gluten"? The one probably scares me the most, as it seems like it is so widely used. Is corn meal ok? Ground corn?

Can anybody shed any light on this?

coppperbelle
April 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
From what I understand the actual rice or wheat is not the problem but the gluten that has been extracted. As you said it is not only wheat but also rice gluten that is suspected to be contaminated. It was announced today that corn gluten may also be affected. The affected products are all from China.