Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just bought a bag of Orijen!

RaYne
April 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'm so frustrated with this recall. I wish I could do homecooked or raw but I just can't afford it at the moment. So grain free it is!

When I went into the pet store my intentions were to get Canidae since they are considered 'safe' (Go! Natural Salmon just isn't working for Bubba, :sad: ) but then I saw Orijen! :D

I ended up getting the large breed puppy for now since they were sold out of adult. But apparently tons of people are going grain free since the recalls started.

The cost of Orijen isn't too bad either, 14.99 for the small bag, $34.99 for the mid-size bag and 60.99 for the large bag.

Now I just need tons of 'good vibes' that this food works awesome for Bubba. :fingerscr

Forgot to add, My father was feeding Natural Balance, since their recent recall he no longer wants to feed it, so he too just bought a bag of Orijen! hahaah

Lukka'sma
April 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: here are some good vibes for you and Bubba. Lukka was on four different foods before I tried Orijen and it is the only food that has worked for her so far. I am very pleased with how she processes this food. I had her on Innova, DVP, Eagle Pack and a couple of others and she always had runny stools and never really liked the taste of any of those other foods. But she enjoys eating the Orijen and her stools are perfect each and every time.

Winston
April 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I would have to agree with everything Lukkasmom said...My boy Winston loves it! He is doing really well on it! I hope your family likes it! Good Luck!

Cindy

celticfox
April 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Hey RaYne,

May I ask what issues Bubba had with the Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal?

I recently started my girls on it and one is doing great on it and the other one (who can usually eat anything without problems) has been very gassy on it and has vomited twice in the past two days. Things aren't looking good for this food. :sad:

rainbow
April 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I hope the Orijen agrees with Bubba......let us know. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Furryland
April 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I hope it works out for you!:fingerscr

I'm going to try and get some for my cats this weekend.

RaYne
April 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
celticfox, The Go! is just not digesting well with Bubba and his soft stools are back. No gas or vomiting issues. But he stinks.. serious doggy body odor. :yuck: My other Saint, Lola is doing fine on it though. :shrug:

Since Lola is now 12 months old, I'm putting her on the Orijen too. I may put Mya our Pug pup on the Orijen puppy. But I'm still iffy on the high protein foods for pups. Although she is a small breed.. :confused:

I'll keep you all posted. I'm going to start mixing it in there Go! natural tonight. ;)

SuperWanda
April 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I have been feeding Orijen since it first came out and I think It's a great food - my two dogs love it ! No complaints here!

Good luck with the switch :fingerscr

Prin
April 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
But high protein is ok... It's just high calcium that's not good, and high protein and high calcium seem to come together if the high protein foods out there are any indication... The orijen is lower in calcium than Evo or barking at the moon though.:)

Good luck to Bubba!

chico2
April 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I bought Orijen for my cats too,that food is flying off the shelves,mainly because it has 0 % grain and my cats like it:thumbs up
Wish I owned that company:laughing:

Bentley'sMom
April 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
My 6 year old golden retriever has been on Orijen Adult for about 6 weeks. It truly is the best food I've ever given him. He loves it and I'm so pleased that his coat is now silky and thick; his hot spots are gone and his energy level is great. My son recently switched his Aussie over to Orijen from Innova Evo and now his dog has no problems with gas or loose stools.

Whenever I get my next puppy I will certainly try Orijen puppy formula. I have absolutely no problems with its amounts or ratios of calcium, protein or any of the other concerns you hear people list sometimes.

Good luck with everything.

kahula
April 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I wish you luck I am going through the same with my cats tonight, I hope the cats like it and doesn't cause any tummy issues.:fingerscr

The store told me that they cannot keep Orijen on the shelves, and they swear it is their best food ever. She did say one thing that I wasn't really sure about, she said that Orijen is the closest thing to a raw food diet that you can get in a kibble, is that true? I don't know much about raw?!?

clm
April 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Bought some more of the feline today, mixing it with the serengeti and the cats are loving the stuff. Amazing how much less they need to eat when eating a really good food. The store had just got a new shipment in last week and their supply was looking sparse.
Picked up a bag of the Orijen puppy too for the new arrival next week.

Cindy

Scott_B
April 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I wish you luck I am going through the same with my cats tonight, I hope the cats like it and doesn't cause any tummy issues.:fingerscr

The store told me that they cannot keep Orijen on the shelves, and they swear it is their best food ever. She did say one thing that I wasn't really sure about, she said that Orijen is the closest thing to a raw food diet that you can get in a kibble, is that true? I don't know much about raw?!?

no. You cant compare raw & kibble. Orijen is an excellent kibble, but it has nothing in common with raw. Thats one thing i hate about the Evo. They state Its made with whole raw ingredients. But then its cooked! lol. Suppose thats better then whole cooked ingredients. :p

That said, Evo and orijen are excellent kibbles. BUT they are kibbles & cooked!

chico2
April 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
My cats free-feed on dry and I have 2 dishes,one with Chicken-soup and one with Orijen.
It seems I will just let them finish the C-S,then stick to Orijen.
I also had a bag of Medical Dental,will either throw it out,or give it to HS,but I am not sure if it is safe..

RaYne
April 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
So far so good with the Orijen. :fingerscr They are only getting half a cup at the moment mixed with the Go! Natural but Bubba and Lola love love love it! There is drool everywhere as soon as they smell it. :laughing:

I tried giving some to Mya, and she won't eat it! She's a picky little bugger but I didn't think she'd flat out refuse it seeing as it's so meaty. :confused: She prefers wet food. Does Orijen make a canned food?

SuperWanda
April 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
No, unfortunately they don't make canned food. They are coming out with that new fish formula in June and I've heard rumors here about a bison formula but those would be dry foods.

chocolatecoffee
April 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I've been feeding Orijen to two of my three dogs for the past few weeks now, and only have good things to say about it. The two of them still love it, I feel very comfortable putting it in their bowls with the recent recall, and I've found that the customer service is outstanding.

Unfortunately, the third isn't really interested in it so I'm hoping that she might like the fish one more when it comes out. She's unbelievably picky though, the other two eat it like it's a treat.