Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone elses cats fetch?

kathryn
April 19th, 2007, 01:34 AM
People think it's strange I taught my 3 cats (Maxwell Kasey & Missy.. not Socks, the one on my icon) how to fetch. They learned it so well, that now I can be upstairs in bed, and they will drag toys up the stairs and hope in bed and drop them on me. When I throw things, they bring them back. I don't see how it's weird.

The love them little rattle-mice things. They fetch those all the time. I just throw them like I would throw a tennis ball for a dog, and like a dog they run, pick it up in their mouths, bring it back and drop it at my feet.

They also fetch feather wands and sparkle wands. For those who don't know what I mean, they are by a company called Go-Cat and are long flexible sticks with shiny plastic things and feathers attached to the end, and you wave em around and stuff and cats attack them.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/1petspalace/cat%20toys%201105/peacocksparkler.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/1petspalace/cat%20toys%2010%2006/longtailmice.jpg

so, anyone else have fetching cats?:D

LynLyn
April 19th, 2007, 02:26 AM
my old cat used to fetch, except it was nothing i taught her, she just did it on her own.

glitterless
April 19th, 2007, 05:53 AM
We had a cat named, Keno that fetched. She learned it on her own also. Unfortunately she got outside one day and was hit by a car. She was such a sweetie.

clm
April 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I've got 2 cats that'll fetch right now and I've had 2 others in the past that did. Won't fetch their toys, but if I crumple up small pieces of paper into balls and toss them, they'll play fetch for a long time. They get all excited if they here paper crumpling.

Cindy

chico2
April 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Kathryn,no it's not unusual,I too had a cat who loved to fetch.
People are often surprised at what cats can do,thinking they can learn nothing:cat:
However give a cat enough attention and love,he'll surprise you with his ability to learn,I know mine do every day,no different from a dog.
My cats know more commmands than little Bailey(Cocker)my walkingpal:dog:

onster
April 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
My cat fetches too :) Except he's kinda lazy and if i look at him while he brings it back he will drop the ball before reaching me and then whine at me to go get it and throw it again hehehe. IF i dont look at him while hes bringing it back he'll drop it at my feet or jump up and drop it at my hands :) such a lazy bum hehehe

He taught himself too :)

papillonmama
April 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
My hubby had a cat (:rip: Cleo) when we were first together, and she loved playing fetch, also something that she learned on her own.

My current fellas are too busy to fetch, they work overtime sleeping.

Dogastrophe
April 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine had a cat who would fetch plastic bottle caps. He would chase them and bring them back all day if there was someone around to toss them.

kathryn
April 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Oh okay. I've never heard of another cat fetching before and everyone who sees my cat's fetch stuff get all WOW THATS WEiRD:p .

and sorry for the pics being bigger then they should have been o-O

Kristin7
April 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, both my cats will fetch, but it helps if there are no distractions around (such as my dog or the other cat). They don't always bring it back all the way and have to be really interested in the toy. Overall, they are just as good at fetching as my dog, although that isn't saying much as he is not so big on fetching.