Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do dogs eat anything and everything???

Maya
April 19th, 2007, 12:02 AM
It seems like story after story "my dog ate this, my dog is blocked, I'm worried my dog is blocked you should check if he's blocked." I know its not funny but it is difficult to understand and somewhat comical. I mean seriously was there some gene that was bred out of all domesticated dogs so that they have no idea what they are eating? This is a cat person rant I suppose but one of the main reasons i'm reluctant to consider actually ever owning a dog. I think they are cute and I know they are smart in other ways but why do they all seem to do this? :confused:

LynLyn
April 19th, 2007, 12:32 AM
no they are not all like this, my dog bowser is one of the pickiest eaters you'll ever meet. He's so picky that he'll starve himself until he can't take it anymore and then eat like 2 bites of his food.

kathryn
April 19th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I haven't had a dog in about a year :rip: but I remember my one dog harley would eat weird stuff too. Nothing serious though. Stuff like sticks, vomit, poop, leaves,dirt, random stuff that fell on the floor etc. Paper and stuff. He never choked or got sick so that was good.

My other dog Jersey who died a long time ago ate a pack of bubble gum ones and when she went to go poop she blew a big pink bubble out of her butt. No lie:laughing: That was when I was like 6. It was gross my mom went out there with some papertowls and yanked the gum off her butt.

I had a cat that ate tons of stuff. He died a while ago, he was pretty cool. He liked to eat strings and ribbons and stuff and when he would poop it out it would hang there so yet again mom had to get a papertowl and yank random stuff out of a pets butt. :laughing:

One Christmas Harley ate all my candy.. I had them Red and green M&M's and Hershey kisses and he got them off the table, ripped the bags open and ate ALL the chocolate, wrappers and all. We didn't relieze this untill MUCH later that night because we were at my grandmoms for christmas dinner. He never got sick. Nothing happend. It was weird. No vets were opened anyways so we monitored him and he was completey fine and passed it all no issues. We lived next to a vet anyways so anytime we needed emergancy help she would come over. Nothing ever happened though.

Maya
April 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Wasn't Bowser the one that ate the chapstick!? :p I can sort of understand that though since it is kind of like food/oil and maybe even flavoured? What I really don't understand is how any animal would go so far as to swallow batteries or big plastic toys. Like if wolves ate anything and everything wouldn't they have just died out?

kathryn thats good none of the swallowing incidents resulted in tragedy. I find it strange that kitty was eating odd stuff, i've never had a cat that did that and i've had many. In my experience they've only got stuff stuck in thier mouth that they were playing with like string or thread and then would try to swallow it because they couldn't get it out of thier mouth.

I guess your mum knew not to pull hard on the stuff like string that was passed. I should hope if anyone has that happen they will cut it bit by bit as it comes out rather than yank it, otherwise it could cause some serious damage.

LynLyn
April 19th, 2007, 02:23 AM
hehe you're right! Bowser did eat chapstick!! forgot about that one, yup so i guess i do have one of those weird doggies that eat strange things :rolleyes: weirdo dog, would rather eat chapstick than his food!

dustybird
April 19th, 2007, 02:33 AM
My cats will attemp to eat/taste whatever happens to fall on the floor. Stupid onion peels(brown part), so I am always carefull when getting an onion out of the fridge. Forest is obcessed with eating anything that is of plastic bag like material. He is just drawn to it and can't help himself. When I scoop the litterbox he is right there trying to chew the bag.

I've watched vets remove pennies, all sorts of string, carpet strings, sewing needles, paper clips, pen caps, erasers, cigarette butts, rubber bands/hair elastics, tape bitts of all kinds and once an artificial xmas tree branch from cats. Needless to say we leave nothing laying around for fear their stupid moments take over. We have to keep the bathroom door closed when we are not home or in bed now as Forest had left teeth marks in both side ends of it one night, no parts missing but it's full of tiny cat teeth holes. Stixx's use to be obcessed with any cables/wires that plugged into the wall, had to cover and hide all those in the past for fear of her getting electrocuted. Aside from hiding all bags etc... we have to hide the bread as Forest eats the bread bags and they love to chew cardboard, espcially if there is packing tape on it. They have a zillion toys, each other and us and yet they are always looking for something forbidden. Forbidden stuff is fun I guess, sort of like under age drinking.

Maybe wolves don't get into those things as they aren't readily available to them or their lives are more exciting. I have found foreign man made objects in bear and raccon poop, all the way out in the middle of no mans land, where there is no dump or a large number of people.

I do have to say though that the list of strange things is a lot longer for dogs, chocke chain, rocks, gloves, socks, underwear, knives, dish cloths, pantyhose, diapers, balls, marbles, pill containers etc...... seems nothing is tabu for fido to eat.

Maya
April 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Lol okay so I guess my cats were just well adjusted or I never noticed anything strange going in or coming out.:p Geese knifes and rocks? It starts getting to the point not just why but how? O_o

chico2
April 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Beeing used to only my cats,I have to be really careful walking Bailey(Cocker),she eats ANYTHING.
Yesterday when I went to get her,there was remnants of a plastic sandwich bag,papertowel and gold foilpaper(candywrapper)on the floor.
I called her owner,just in case Bailey would get sick later..they really have to be careful with her,since last year she ate 3LB'S of choclate:yell:

Dogastrophe
April 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I think the best answer to this would be "because they are dogs and they can". :crazy:

I have extracted many many foreign objects from the mouths of Jack and Lucy, including, but not limited to, buttons, leaves, sticks, paper, plastic, pens and pencils, hair, and on and on.

I've become an expert at putting them in a headlock, using the headlocking hand to pry open the mouth, and fishing around with the other to locate the object, which they have a great ability to hide under their tongue or between their teeth and cheek. :D

jessi76
April 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
yeah, I think the answer is definately "because they can".

One of my old cats (:rip:), ate an ENTIRE spool of thread. she had to be surgically opened up and untangled. :eek: (she lived a very long happy life after that - with the sewing basket locked away of course)

So, it's not just dogs. My dog is actually smart enough to not actually ingest strange things. he likes to chew a stick up, or rip apart a stuffed toy, but has never actually EATEN any parts.

my cats on the other hand.... not so smart.... mmmmmmm, thread!

breeze
April 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Bree eats everything she can find, when we are outside playing she will find the most bizare things on the ground, pens, caps from bottles, paper, tin foil besides leaves and sticks and such. putting her in a headlock to get things out of her mouth is very comical to see sometimes she will get free and other times she just looks at you as if "o no not again" the command leave it works most of the time but there are other times where it is useless. I do find that if we are outside and she starts to eat the ground she is very thristy, I give her water and she does stop for the time being, if she continues then I bring her into the house and she drinks about an other gallon of water :laughing:
she also loves to eat rocks :eek: why is beoynd me... my other dog Nakita a huskey would never eat anything outside.. mind you she was a very picky eater. Maybe that has something to do with it.. your guess is as good as mine :rolleyes:

Purpledomino
April 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
My Minpin Emmy is like living with a very crafty two year old. She will eat anything she finds, and actually goes into my daughters school bag to find chapsticks. One day she wasn't around, so I found her under my daughters bed chewing up and eating a cover stick, her lips were white!

She has vomitted up staples, ate countless lipglosses, marshmallows, horse-poo..(outside..ALL dogs love it :thumbs up ) pencils, pens, basically whatever she can find. This landed her in the emergency vets a month ago with what we thought was some sort of poisoning, gravely ill, and spent two days on IV. We never did find out what she ate that made her so sick, but $1,400 later she is good as new thank God. :pray:

Needless to say, we close doors in our house....and are VERY careful about what is left out.

JanM
April 19th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Is it ever nice to know that other dogs are just as silly as my Bobby when it comes to eating things - he has been in hospital for a bowel blockage because he ate something that wasn't digestible! It passed through him but oh my - what it was I will never know! It was huge and yellow/green.

I love the bubble gum story! Made me laugh out loud..

Shadow, my cat and Amber my female Golden are very choosey about what goes into their mouths but Bobby - totally opposite! Go figure :) When out walking, I watch him like a hawk..

Prin
April 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
My doggies did all their chewing in their past life. :D Jemma ate a whole diningroom set, a whole full pack of birth control, and who knows what else before we got her. :rolleyes: Since she's been with us, she's gotten into the garbage a couple times, but that's about it.

Boo... Well... He's got his moments. In the beginning he was terrible. He picked up a condom off the street... He also took a big bite of that black slush that you get in heavy traffic... Other than that he limits himself to shredding paper, which I really don't mind.:D (could be wayyy worse)

So yeah. They do it because they're doggies, and they're bored or have separation anxiety, or they want to rebel, or whatever it is just has a wonderfully tasty candy coating.:D

dustybird
April 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
It never surprises me what cats and dogs manage to swallow, it's how did they manage to swallow it. I will never understand how that cat swallowed an artificial christmas tree branch that was almost as long as the cat. The owners were frantic and had just moved into their home and the cat got into some boxes, my first thought was someone put in her but apparently not.

Utnesils and dogs I think happen becasue they are left on a plate and in their got lick the plate quick before I get caught mode just somehow lick it up. Most things I think get swallowed becasue they play with them and they get stuck so down the hatch it goes. Most things though I think just feel good to chew on or something and they don't seem to understand that some things just aren't edible, then there's the better swallow it so no one else can have it or simply to hide the evidence that they were playing with it in the first place.

2007 and we still can't speak dog or cat, boy would it be cool if we could, maybe we could finaly understand why spring time poop on a walk tastes so darn good.

Maya
April 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm now I'm starting to doubt cats, I thought they knew better. Dustybird I'm thinking it might be better we don't learn cat or dog unless you are actually serious about wanting to know why springtime poop on a walk tastes so darn good.:D I love all the descriptions, I have these rediculous images of all the silly things like dogs with make up eating black road slushies or tearing apart nicely set tables or the ultimate just eating the ground.:p Probably a good idea to learn the headlock and Heimlich maneuver for dogs and cats!!!

Kristin7
April 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I have been wondering about this for awhile. Why does my dog eat all this stuff? He eats whatever he finds pretty much: sticks, pieces of toys, his bed, poo, hair, cigarette butts, anything gross. My cats do not do this, although I can't call them picky. In fact, my dog is more picky about his own food then one of my cats, who will eat anything resembling food. This cat loves shredding paper, too, but as far as I can tell, she doesn't eat it. Just have to keep the important stuff out of her reach!