Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tip the groomer?

crazyforcats
April 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I've had my puppy groomed 3 times, but have not tipped the groomer. The thought never even occured to me until yesterday when we went to a different groomer who did an amazing job on my pup! So, should I be tipping my dog groomer??

Shamrock
April 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Well, it's a personal choice, as in all areas of tipping.:2cents:
I look at the grooming as a personal service extended on behalf of our pets, and believe that tipping is appropriate for a job well done.
I'm sure it's very appreciated.

I would not feel obligated to tip if unhappy with the staff, or felt a poor and sloppy effort had been put in. Groomers cant always achieve what you had in mind.. but as long as they have made a fair effort, I believe a reasonable tip is still in order.
If they have done an especially outstanding job, I feel the amount offered should refect this.

I've had the same groomer for my toy poodle for years now. He is groomed every 12 weeks, and as a long time client, there are no "suprises".
I tip 20% each visit, extra at Christmas. I really appreciate her time and effort with Percy, and this is just a small way to express it.:)

aussiemedogs
April 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I always tip my groomer and the person that does the bathing, not fair to give 1 without the other.

crazyforcats
April 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I felt like such a terd for not tipping that I've phoned the groomer, apologized, and told her I'd make up the tip next time.

glasslass
April 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've never received a tip from Den-Den. Nor from Corky! Not ever! Ungrateful little varmints! :frustrated:

Byrd
April 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Just like your hairdresser.

We always appreciated any tip, even a box of chocolates.

mummummum
April 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Don't feel bad Crazy cats ~ it happens and I've done it myself in error.

Happily, for those of us non-cash-carrying people there is a newish Interac machine which allows one to add a tip amount which I hope more pet places which house or host services will adopt.

I also think there is some confusion with the amount to tip a groomer when they are the owner of their business. I still use the 15% as a base if I'm just "satisfied" and there was no difficulty presented.

Prin
April 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
hehe, glasslass. :D

I don't groom, but if I did, I'd probably tip... A lot of groomers make minimum wage...:o

Shamrock
April 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Yes, crazyforcats, there's no reason to feel bad.
A lady I know who did pet grooming said that at least half of her clients didnt tip...ever. Some likely dont realize, other just opt not to.:shrug:

I also didnt know of this custom when I first began bringing Percy for grooming.
At least a year passed before I realized :o then I did feel a bit guilty for my oversight. Now I just add a tip on as part of the total, and am very grateful for the consistent and nice job she does.:highfive: She makes it seem effortless, and he is a happy doggy when he leaves.:)

I've also not tipped other groomers over the years.. where I was very unsatisfied overall.

One groomer I decided to try last summer left Percy only partially clipped, saying he was too difficult to complete, and was trying to bite her.:eek:
Bite? As he's so familiar with the routine of regular grooming, this came as a big suprise to me, but they werent used to each other, likely the root of the problem.
If she found him too hard to do, then leaving off was the correct call, better for her and my dog both. I understood this completely.

But- she charged me even more than she quoted originally (more than double what I normally pay) saying that she spent a lot of "time" with him. (He's a six pound dog) I was pretty unhappy.. seemed I was being penalized for my dog's lack of cooperation, one who now had a pretty strange looking haircut.:D
She offered I could bring him back, which I didnt care to do.
I later asked for and received a store credit for "half" the grooming charge instead.
Seemed fair for half a job.:rolleyes: