Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Competitive Obedience

i_have_too_many
April 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Has anyone competed before? I have a dog that I want to compete with who knows what she is supposed to do and is very good at it, her only problem is attitude. She does not think that it is very fun and just goes along with it. I took her to a "practice" competition and she scored very low because she lagged along during the heeling exercises. If you could read her mind it would probably be saying something like this "doe de doe, ho hum, this is sooo boring, please shoot me now".

If anyone has suggestions on how to make her enjoy this, that would be great, I hope to compete with her at the breed specialty this summer and it would be nice if she at leased passed.

aussiemedogs
April 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Some dogs(bored ones) do much better in the ring if they have not excercised or have not been with you for a few hours. Others (nervous) do much better if you spend more time excercising them before hand.

When trialing you need to find what works best for your dog, do a few fun matches and really overexagerate your heeling with her, make it fun(for her) . When doing fun matches go N/C use food a food she will enjoy(it has to be a special treat, one she hasn't gotten on a regular basis.
Good Luck

tenderfoot
April 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
You might do well to find her passion and reward her with that whenever she is successful with a few minutes of work. example - she loves her toy squirrel. Do a 'heel' for a minute and then say 'squirrel' as you bring the toy out and play with her and the toy. Then heel for 2 minutes and repeat the reward. Then if you see her getting slumpy during a heel you can say 'squirrel' and help her get happy again. You are creating a happy association with the heel work.

The other reality is that she isn't into obedience work. It might be like your parents forcing you to be a cheerleader when you really abhor cheerleading. You would not be happy and it would show. Is there another activity you could do with her that would satisfy you both?

mafiaprincess
April 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Have you thought about Rally Obedience maybe? Not the same, but allows you to reward with praise, and depending upon the venue treats at stop stations.. Might give your dog more to look forward to.. and if fun enough move towards straight Ob later since it practices heel position in patterns.