Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Natural Balance I gredient Switcheroo?

rainbow
April 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Interesting article.....

NATURAL BALANCE PULLS AN INGREDIENT SWITCHEROO? 04/17/07
As word has spread today about the Natural Balance recall of foods containing rice protein concentrate, a few pet parents astutely observed that Natural Balance has changed their website's list of ingredients for the affected foods. Just a few short days ago, the suspect ingredient was not included among the ingredients listed on the Natural Balance website but, today, after the FDA announcement that melamine was found in the rice protein concentrate, the website was changed to add this ingredient. I believe there is an AAFCO (or is it FDA?) requirement to list ALL the ingredients contained in a pet food on the packaging label. Now, it could be Natural Balance is just woefully behind in updating their website to reflect recent formula changes (note: there are other changes in the ingredients besides the addition of rice protein concentrate.) Conversely, it could be Natural Balance is trying to do a quick CYA. Perhaps some pet parents who purchased the recalled food can take a look at the packaging labels and let us know whether or not the suspect ingredient, rice protein concentrate, appears among the list of ingredients. If not, then this is clearly a violation by Natural Balance of both labeling laws and consumer trust.

Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food
Website Cache: April 7, 2007

Ingredient listing: Venison, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Venison Meal, Rice Bran, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp Meal, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Choline Chloride, L-lysine, Dl-methionine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Parsley, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin K Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food

Ingredient listing: Venison, Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Venison Meal, Rice Protein Concentrate, Peas, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Methionine, Inulin, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

Website Cache: April 12, 2007 Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food

Ingredient listing: Peas, Venison Meal, Venison, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food
Website Cache: April 17, 2007

Ingredient listing: Peas, Venison, Venison Meal, Rice Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

mafiaprincess
April 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM
They have 6 months to change the bags, just like solid gold did..

Few people I know were sketched out that the effected ingredient wasn't on their old or newest bags as they took sick pets to the vet.

rainbow
April 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM
It's not the ingredient listing on their bags, it's the ingredient listing on their website.

mafiaprincess
April 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
True enough. But part of the complaint you pasted is about how it had to be on the packaging label.

rainbow
April 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you'd think howl911 would know that.

OntarioGreys
April 18th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I was looking at the website just the other day trying to figure what ingredients could be affected there was no rice mentioned in the cat food, I specifically checked for it so they added it less than say 24 hours ago I tried to go back to the NB site as soon as I read about the rice protein and could not get into the ingredient list so it might have changed today even

marine's girlie
April 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM
yeah, i did the same thing and it DEFINITELY wasn't there yesterday. i was looking at the cat formula because it is grain free (or at least was until they updated the ingredient list).

Prin
April 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Weird how they switched all the rice... I guess rice flour went up in price?

Tommysmom
April 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
It's not even just the rice protein that got added...it's a real formula change. I know they changed it on the website sometime in the last few days, cuz I was looking at it too.

They said on the phone that they were trying to increase the protein in the venison formulas, but the protein stayed at 22%, no change at all. Betcha they were trying to save some money.

Prin
April 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
They were trying to boost the protein from grains... not overall... maybe that's what they were trying to say.:p