Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training to use one spot for washroom

Schwinn
April 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Anyone have any ideas of a good way to get Daisy to use one spot for a washroom? Now that Gracie is older, she's always at the back window pleading "Outside!" It'd be nice to be able to go to one spot to clean up the yard rather than having to do a grid search for 20 minutes every time we want Gracie to use the back yard. We have a huge shed with a path around it, and I'd like to see if we can get Daisy to eliminate behind there (you know, give her some privacy, maybe a stack of magazines...)

Any ideas? I was going to try the pee-stick, but wasn't sure that'd work for both.

Lissa
April 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Our last dog was trained to only "use the facilities" behind the cedars...magazines would have been a nice touch:grin:

Anyway, a pee post might work or roping off a certain area etc... But mainly you will need to be out with her the first few times, directing and rewarding her for pottying in the right spot. The best you can do is not give her the opportunity to potty in the wrong spot - she'll catch on much faster! It may also help to put a few toys or a bone or chew toys in the parts of the yard that you don't want her to potty in anymore.
If all this fails, take her for a quick pee/poop walk before you put her in the backyard!

Good Luck and let us know what works!:thumbs up

i_have_too_many
April 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM
When my sister got their dog she wanted it to use the bush by the house not the lawn, so when she house trained the pup she took it only to that spot. She also put a small post in the ground that she had painted a bright colour, then if they go somewhere they take the post with them and set it up in the new location. I think it worked pretty well, I will have to ask her about it later.

crazyforcats
April 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
We have used an excerise pen - first we would put her in it every time she needed to go. Then we found that when we were in the yard and the excercise pen door was open, she would just go in there by herself to do her thing. Not every time - but she is barely 6-months old!

TMac
May 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
We've successfully (with a few 'oops' moments occasionally) trained two dogs now to pee/poop behind the shed instead of on our lawn. We tried the pee post but found it was a big waste of money as the dogs totally ignored it.

What worked for us was fencing (just the short little green garden decorative border fencing) off access to the lawn so that the only place left to go is the grassy spot behind the shed. I agree that the first several times you'll have to go out with your dog and direct him/her and give LOTS of praise when they do it right! And try to praise each time thereafter that you see him do it successfully without your direction.

Toby now knows that he can run free on the lawn only AFTER he does his business behind the shed. Sometimes he wants to play on the lawn and he really doesn't have to go at all, so I go out to the lawn with him to play and if he looks like he's gonna lift a leg at any point, I bring him back to the 'magic spot' before he has a chance to complete that idea!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

zpilot55
May 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
I would try a brightly colored stake, and take her to the stake everytime she needs to go. That worked for my brother :D