Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this reportable?

Colubridz
April 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
As I mentioned in my last post my area is plagued by irresponsible owners letting there poorly trained and sometimes aggressive dogs offlesh in public. Recently a house along our normal walking route has been keeping there large lab cross and Rotti out on the balcony above the garage. These two dogs are completely un restrained and there is only a 3' railing and an 7-8' drop inbetween them and the rest of the world. When we walked by they both began to loudly bark and growl.

Now obviously I understand all dogs will bark and growl when anyone walks by there territory and I wouldn't expect anything less. What bothers me besides the dogs could seriously injure themselfes if they ever tried to jump the rail is that I simply don't feel safe walking by there with Duke any longer. I'm curious if this is possible to report on grounds of irresponsible and improperly confinded dogs and if the AC would do anything or not? I'm just not going to walk by there anymore I just don't see why anyone would keep there dog out on such a low rail balacony and not worry about them getting hurt and loose if they escaped.

Kayla

Dogastrophe
April 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Unlikely that there are any regulations against the dogs being left as you describe, however, you may want to check your local by-laws regarding noise. Contrary to popular belief, in many municipalities noise by-laws do exist during the daytime. You could claim that these dogs are disrupting your peace and quiet ... if they agree to check the situation out the people may get the message and put their dogs in a more secure location.

JanM
April 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I can relate to your problem. There are 2 rotties in a house at the end of my street that are left outside - granted, in the summer only, on a tiny porch with a 3' railing. When people walk by they will bark but that's about all - but if you have a dog with you - look out! One jumped the railing and went after a small dog - the owner broke his cane over the dog's head and the dog ran away. The rottie owner says her dogs can't jump the railing! The owner didn't report it. Everyone else - myself included - just don't walk our dogs that way any more. It's a problem but, if people don't report actual incidents like this, nothing can be done. Those poor rotties don't get enough exercise and no wonder they are as they are! It's a lose/lose situation for everyone and every dog!

coppperbelle
April 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I am having a similar problem with a neighbor. He has a very flimsy fence and three large dogs who go crazy every time I walk by with my two. They are almost directly across the street from me so it is almost impossible to take a walk without passing their house. They are always outside so I can't even time my walks when they are indoors. I fear that they are going to knock down the fence when we walk by and come after my dogs.
The owners are a little aggressive so saying something to them is out of the question.
I know they have received tickets for excessive noise (barking). I haven't reported them but I know some of my neighbors have.