Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Melamine in NB?

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm?csp=34

technodoll
April 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Clearly, the petfood industry needs to get its act together, it's beyond preposterous and ridiculous now. OK i'll shut up now before I start getting high blood pressure :mad:

Natural Balance Pet Foods said Tuesday it found melamine in two of its pet food products, which the company has recalled.
Melamine is the chemical suspected of causing pet deaths and illnesses related to the Menu Foods recall, covering more than 60 million cans and pouches of wet dog and cat food from dozens of brands the past four weeks.

But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the product," he says.

The concentrate is now being tested, he added. Melamine was detected in samples of the food. The recalled foods are: Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods.

Whether other pet food makers got the same rice protein concentrate is unclear at this time. Herrick says the food was made for Natural Balance by Diamond Pet Foods.

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hot eh. I also have read NB is partnered with American Nutrition that seems to own a rendering plant, and isn't choosy on meat sources.

So I think I need to go buy grain free kibble as I just ran out of Orijen...

marine's girlie
April 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
i called and they comfirmed the melamine findings. she said they just added it 2 or 3 weeks ago, but i didn't think it would have hit the market that fast. i wonder if they added it much earlier than that but left it off the ingredient list until now.

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
That would be plastic.. Not an edible ingredient.......................

Pugs Rule
April 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I have been feeding my dog the potato and duck Natural Balance - and guess what? Off to the vets office as he is sick now. :( Ahhhh this sucks.

Tommysmom
April 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yep, I just got off the phone with them too. Melamine in the recently added rice protein concentrate, which isn't even listed on the ingredients on the bag.

New recall too - all the venison and brown rice canned food for dogs and the venison and green pea canned for cats, plus the venison treats.

Tommy's been on the food and the cookies. Just great. Unbelievable.

poodletalk
April 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Are they sure the problem doesn't effect the other flavours? I just bought a big bag of Natural Balance two weeks ago.

I am sorry Tommysmom you have to go through this...

Tommysmom
April 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
They told me on the phone that they had only added the rice protein concentrate to the venison formulas... hopefully that's true. Lots of people I know are on the other flavours :frustrated: . I just want to scream!

technodoll
April 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe we should start a thread on homecooking... list books, resources, recipes, etc.. not to hijack this one. Seems to me it's getting to be the only safe alternative :eek: i am truly :sad: for anyone going through any of these food recall troubles :grouphug:

poodletalk
April 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I putting my bag of Natural Balance in the garbage tonight...I can't trust this company anymore.

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Are any other companies out there using this rice protein concentrate?

I would assume this ingredient will eventually traced back to China. The whole grain rice we see in a lot of pet foods... does a lot of that come from China too? We're feeding Felidae dry right now and it contains brown rice.

RUSTYcat
April 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I just posted this info on another thread (Info Up On Natural Balance Site), then I saw this thread........but nobody here has listed the varieties most recently (today) affected.

Anyways, here it is again:

"Itchmo reports verification from Natural Balance, that more of their foods have been pulled, due to melamine found in a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten in their foods.

Itchmo has confirmed with Natural Balance that their recall has expanded and now covers the following items for all dates:

* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

Natural Balance hasn’t updated their website to reflect the new information yet, but according to Itchmo, they’ll be releasing into the mainstream media soon.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://thepetfoodlist.com/forums/index.php?topic=91.0

Rottielover
April 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
OK, I am in alittle bit of a pickle, this was the only food harley did semi ok with....the original one. But if it has to do with rice stuff, that can be in any of the formulas :(...off to cry now:sad:

poodletalk
April 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Exactly my point rottie, the problem is with the rice..it could be in any formula, any company.It could even be in our human food chain.

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Exactly my point rottie, the problem is with the rice..it could be in any formula, any company.It could even be in our human food chain.

To be fair, wheat gluten is used in human food as well. Who knows if that made it into the human supply as well?

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
What gets me is this...

With the whole recall nightmare going on, why would a premium pet food company introduce a new grain into their formula without extensively testing it first? IMO that smacks of carelessness.

poodletalk
April 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM
It was just "luck" (I don't know if that's the right word) the tainted wheat glutten wasn't in the humane food chain.

http://wjz.com/business/finance_story_103015618.html

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM

The problem isn't with the rice, it's with the rice protein concentrate. They are two different things. I would be checking ALL pet food brands for "rice protein concentrate" as who knows if other companies will be affected as well. :sad:

RUSTYcat
April 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
It was just "luck" (I don't know if that's the right word) the tainted wheat glutten wasn't in the human food chain.

But, but, but.....where did it go????????
From that CBS News story:
"The FDA tried to comfort Congress...saying there's "no evidence" any bad gluten got into human food — thought the agency still doesn't know where it all went.

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Rainbow.. I did that prior to dinner...

The fromms doesn't have it. My wellness simple duck has brown rice protein in it.. Leaving that bag closed for now...

Prin
April 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Fromm... *sigh* There's another can of worms. :sad:

I'm so sorry for anybody feeding the NB. I honestly don't think we can blame the company at this point though. Melamine is not something you test for routinely, even though as consumers we would hope they would. They probably had no reason to suspect the rice protein or whatever was contaminated... If it comes out that they got it from China, however, then IMO, the company was careless.

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 10:05 PM
It's apparently from the US. NB won't disclose the source yet though.

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Rainbow.. I did that prior to dinner...

You did what prior to dinner? :D

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm so sorry for anybody feeding the NB. I honestly don't think we can blame the company at this point though. Melamine is not something you test for routinely, even though as consumers we would hope they would. They probably had no reason to suspect the rice protein or whatever was contaminated... If it comes out that they got it from China, however, then IMO, the company was careless.

I don't think I can agree with that. If I were head of a company like this, I would be thinking long and hard about testing my product with so many hysterical pet owners out there. Imagine going to your pets' food website and seeing the statement...

"We've tested our food and found it to be 100% free of melamine."

With the pet community as tight as it is right now, seeing something like that would go over extremely well. You can't buy advertising that good.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but I'll tell you one thing for sure. If I were head of a company like this, there is NO WAY I'd introduce a new gluten-like grain ingredient into my premium product without heavy testing, especially with everything going on. Somebody posted in another thread around here that they talked to the company and they said the rice protein was a new ingredient from the past 2-3 weeks. By this time the recall was already public knowledge. Maybe I'm less forgiving, but I have no problem holding this company accountable.

If the companies aren't going to change their quality control policies smack in the middle of a massive recall, there doesn't seem to be much hope for them changing after the recall. :(

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Is it me or has the USA today article been updated? The company was unnamed before wasn't it?

The rice protein concentrate was imported from China by San Francisco-based Wilbur-Ellis. Herrick says the concentrate, which is being tested, is suspected to have melamine, as it was the only new ingredient. Recalled Natural Balance products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and dry dog foods, dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Wilbur-Ellis CEO John Thacher said his company sold the concentrate to five pet-food makers, but that most of it went to two firms. One of the primary companies was Diamond Pet Foods, which packs some of the Natural Balance product but doesn't use the concentrate in any Diamond-made foods, says Diamond spokesman Jim Fallon. The other major customer, which Thacher would not name, tested the rice protein and found no melamine, Thacher says. Natural Balance's rice protein concentrate is mixed with venison meal, Thacher says.

Prin
April 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
They do that sometimes: just add on to an older article. :rolleyes:

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
You right....the company wasn't named before and as far as I know Natural Balance said they got it from a U.S. company. Perhaps they didn't know that the U.S. company imported it from China. :rolleyes:

So, now there is four other compnies out there with the same batch of rice protein concentrate. I wonder how long before we find out who they are? :eek:

mafiaprincess
April 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Oh checked the heck out of every bag of food in the house and looked at every ingredient, lol.

technodoll
April 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM
hmmm petfood companies have up to 6 months** to change a bag (or can or box) to reflect what is really inside... so a recipe can change, but the labeling follows later. tricky... and dangerous!! :eek: are you SURE your pet isn't eating a dangerous ingredient? :eek:

**someone please correct me if I am wrong. i did read this somewhere, just don't have time to find the source right now.

Furryland
April 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM
This is all such fun.. yeah right :rolleyes: :frustrated:

Fortunately, my cats who did have the venison as a food option seem fine, as do the small dogs who did eat a tin of the wet venison :fingerscr

I still have the UP kibbles though, being this is a new food i'm kinda stuck and will have to transition onto something else, as it is i am offering the cats wellness indoor since i know they liked it in the past.. my dogs, i'll probably try some canidae since they adore the wet.

I have been going over labels to see who else has RPC and i did find Nutro natural choice complete care adult cat to contain this ingredient :eek: however i did not find it in the comparable dog kibble or the max adult, i haven't checked all varieties though and have not yet checked the max cat styles.

I know my bag of solid gold catz n flocken doesn't have it nor does my bag of fromms duck ala veg, and the wellness indoor health doesn't either.. nor does the wet tin of dog chicken & rice canidae.

This is really scary since their are other companies that received this source of contaminated product, so obviously more recalls are coming and more ill pets :sad:

I cannot believe in less than 2mths i have come -this close- to killing all my pets. :yell:

OntarioGreys
April 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
It was just "luck" (I don't know if that's the right word) the tainted wheat glutten wasn't in the humane food chain.

Even if it was we would not get hit as hard as pets as we eat a variety of stuff, it could have be used to make a can of gravy(not the main part of the meal for us and we might use once a week or to form the meatballs in Beef-a-roni so again enough there to affect us unless eating nothing but day after day for every meal, we may feel a touch ill possibly and never associate it to something we ate

If it occured in babyfoods or formulas then there would be huge problems

stergeR
April 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM
You right....the company wasn't named before and as far as I know Natural Balance said they got it from a U.S. company. Perhaps they didn't know that the U.S. company imported it from China. :rolleyes:

So, now there is four other compnies out there with the same batch of rice protein concentrate. I wonder how long before we find out who they are? :eek:

oh my god..the list goes on and on, i really hope it will stop soon! :sad:

by the way, any news on which are the other four companies yet?

poodletalk
April 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I just came back from my animal foodstore, they pulled the whole Natural Balance product line even though two products were effected. The Store Owner doesn't want to take any chances :pawprint:

geisha
April 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Last week I was browsing the dog food aisles and almost picked up a bag of NB Venison to try on my senior dog (just for something different) but I was in a hurry and decided to just go with what I normally buy. My heart goes out to those affected by this. :fingerscr

geisha
April 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM
hmmm petfood companies have up to 6 months** to change a bag (or can or box) to reflect what is really inside... so a recipe can change, but the labeling follows later. tricky... and dangerous!! :eek: are you SURE your pet isn't eating a dangerous ingredient? :eek:

**someone please correct me if I am wrong. i did read this somewhere, just don't have time to find the source right now.

Technodoll according to the dogfoodproject.com pet food companies donot have up to 6 months to change the label. They can use the old bag and put a sticker on top of the old ingredients listing to reflect what's inside now.

Prin
April 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM
According to the dog food companies, they have 6 months to change the bag. We found out this summer the hard way when a lot of our dogs got sick because of a sudden unmarked change to Solid Gold Wolf King.