Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sudden aggression

MartiniGIrl
April 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
My 3 year old cat has suddenly been attacking one of my other cats. and I'm talking full blown cat fights, like stray cats in the yard. They've been together for 2.5 years and have been best buddies from the start.

Any idea what might cause this? Ive taken her to the vet and he thinks it's stress (her belly hair is very short, I guess she's been obsessively licking it). the vet gave me anti-anxiety meds which she's been on for almost 2 weeks and I'm not seeing any improvement. I just dont understand what would cause her to attack her best friend.

has anyone else had this problem with their cats?

SableCollie
April 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Did the vet do a complete blood profile and physical exam? A lot of times when aggression suddenly appears, it's caused by a physical problem. Did anything change in the cat's environment that could be causing stress?

Anti-anxiety meds can take up to a month or so to show improvement.

MartiniGIrl
April 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
no he didnt. He saw that her belly fur and inner thigh fur was very short, indicating she's been obsessively licking, which is a sign of stress. Besides my bf moving out, i dont understand why she's stressed. He was her favourite, but he's been gone for almost 5 months now.

SableCollie
April 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I would ask the vet to do a blood profile, to make sure nothing is off. Thyroid levels that are off can have an affect on behavior in dogs, I don't know if it might in cats.