Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Variety good or bad ??

breeze
April 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I recently went to pick up food for Bree and started a conversation with a couple of people about the food we buy (just to find out their reaction and comments). we are all feeding Eagle Pack Holistic select, but most of the people are changing to different flavors every time they finish the bag!!
One month chicken and rice the next duck meal & oatmeal, or Anchovy,sardine and salman meal (the anchovy and sardine they really don't like cause of the smell but the dogs love it ) or lamb and rice??
Is this good to change the dog flavor not the brand every month?? or should you stay with the same flavor??
does it not give them the "runs" Is it better for them to have variety?? or are they making the dog a picky eater??
Most of the people say their dogs love the change and they have no problem with their poop, and every time they come out with a new flavor they bring it home and the dogs love it

Scott_B
April 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Some dogs have an iron gut and tolerate change very easily. Feeding a variety also doesn't create a picky dog. Picky dogs are created when they turn their nose up at something and the owners give in and give them something tastier. The dog learns that if they don't like whats offered, hold out and they get something better.

The only real problem i see in this, is that IF a dog develops an allergy, you've limited your choices on what you can feed. Other then that, i feel its a personal choice.

breeze
April 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
so you are saying that if you give variety, the chances of them having allergies are reduced?? is that right or is it the oposite

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I've heard you should rotate between brands as well. :shrug:

breeze
April 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I've heard you should rotate between brands as well. :shrug:

why?? cause of allergies also ??

technodoll
April 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
well... i wonder how many of us would like to eat the same dish 3 times per day, 365 days per year, all our lives ... :eek: :yuck: :sad:

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I think like this person:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm

Scott_B
April 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM
so you are saying that if you give variety, the chances of them having allergies are reduced?? is that right or is it the oposite

no..a dog needs to be exposed to a protein to develop an allergy to it. Most dog foods have chicken & turkey & beef in them. These are some of the most common allergens in kibble. Thats why allergy formulas are usually venison or Lamb or Duck. Much less commonly feed. If you feed these allergy formulas as well, and IF the dog develops an allergy to them, it doesn't leave you a whole lot of options. Now the risk of this happening is small. But it can happen. I know raw feeders who will not feed certain meats they have available to them just in case their dogs develop an allergy, they can fall back on these other meats.

technodoll
April 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think like this person:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm

wonderful article, thanks for posting! :highfive:

breeze
April 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I guess to find out if Bree has a cast iron tummy or allerigies I would just have to try it.
I liked the artical Rainbow thank you

gomez
April 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
We switch Gomez from flavour to flavour of Holistic Eagle Pack, so far e has hadthe chicken an dnow just started the fish formula, he loves it and I don't mind the smell... we don't feed him the lamb b/c he doesn't like it, I guess he gets that from me ! ;)

He doesn't have an iron gut, far from it, but the flavour change does not seem to bother him at all...

JanM
April 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for posting that article, Rainbow.. I will now make sure my dogs get a variety.

angeldogs
April 18th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks for posting that rainbow.i will let my bro know.and some friends all so.

chico2
April 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I don't have a dog,but my cats have always eaten a variety of different foods,right now I have 3 bags of different dry foods,canned is a variety of beef,chicken and fish.
I tend to think of myself,imagine eating the same food breakfast,lunch and dinner every day:yell:
My cats have had no major problems with pooping,their digestive systems are used to handle a variety of foods,just like people,I think:confused: