Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strays

dizzimom
April 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about stray animals? For some reason, they find me. My town has no system to deal with strays. We have an animal shelter that puts animals down. If I find an animal, there is no way to identify the animal even if it has a tag until the next day when you call the animal shelter. They work from 9-5 and will only answer an emergency call if the animal has been hurt. The animal shelter has actually told me to let the animal go. I live on a very busy street and these animals will get hurt or killed. I have a dog and cat and do not want to put my pets around these animals until I know they are healthy. These strays are someones pet who got loose or the owner set free. I have a neighbor (who just moved in) setting her cats free. She does it one at a time. The first one I did not know it was hers and I took it to animal shelter who said they would put her down. So I took her to the vet got her shots and gave her to someone. I can't do this all the time. Any suggestions?

SableCollie
April 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
If there are no services in your area to help, it's really hard. Any way you could get a group of committed people together to help the animals? Maybe find a sympathetic vet who would do low cost medical for the animals? Or maybe you could work with the animal shelter. Years ago, the shelter in my town caught stray dogs, housed them in a condemned barn, and if they weren't claimed in 5 days, they would shoot the dogs or sell them to laboratories. It took one group of really committed citizens to form a "friends of the pound" group, take over the running of the shelter, raise money to get a new facility built and end up with a good, no-kill shelter. It is tons of work to take on something like this, writing letters to the local papers is a good way to start getting people aware of the problem in your area.

Sorry there is no organization already there to help these animals, and thank you for caring about them! :)