Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barrie SPCA-puppy stolen

crazydays
April 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
On Sat April 14/07 a young puppy(Pit/cross-approx 6mon) was stolen, at the OSPCA. A woman and child asked to see the dog and then never returned it back to the shelter.
Because of this incidence, the shelter staff are going to start taking identification from people when the come to see a dog.:mad: This was a very sad day. "Bobbys" photo remains in the Barrie Shelter-haven't given up hope that someone will report the puppy found, or the Barrie Police will get a lead on the suspect.

Frenchy
April 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
A woman and child asked to see the dog and then never returned it back to the shelter.

Great thing to teach your kid :mad:

angeldogs
April 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Some people just don't care what they teach their kids.i hope they get caught.and are charged.

crazydays
April 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
When you stop and think about the premeditation of this act. It is very discouraging about the state of mind of that woman. I really hope they get to the bottom of this!I will definitely post back if the pup is recovered.

Melinda
April 17th, 2007, 04:19 PM
was there a story behind it? was the pup possibly taken from the woman? did a neighbour remove it from her and turn it in for being a pitbull? a broken partnership maybe and the ex turned it in knowing she couldn't adopt a pit mix back?? or was it just straight out theivery?

I wonder if they were the people that turned it in and then wanted it back for some reason? it was a rotti mix

The local animal shelter has fallen victim to a pair of shoplifters.

A dog was stolen Saturday from the local chapter of the Ontario Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) by a couple who staff believed to be mother and son. The puppy thieves told shelter employees that they were interested in adopting one of the dogs and took a particular interest in a six-month-old Rottweiler cross named “Bobby.” After taking the pup out for a walk in the parking lot, they disappeared with him, never to be seen by staff again.

“The search for this dog is critical because it recently underwent surgery and requires post-operation care. He also still needs his rabies shot,” said Branch Manager, Sandra Kiyonaga.

OSPCA staff is asking for help from the community to locate the dog which came to the shelter on April 1 after being abandoned by his owners. He is a highly energetic pup, with a solid build, is just under two feet in height, and weighs approximately 40 pounds. He has short black hair with tan and white markings on his face, chest and feet.

It’s an incident that has not only angered shelter staff, but also several families who had submitted adoption applications in hopes of making Bobby part of the family.

“What’s really unfortunate here is that this dog actually had a great chance at finding a forever home taking into consideration all the other applications we have for him,” she added.

This incident has prompted the shelter to impose new policies when it comes to people wanting to take animals for a walk. Anyone leaving the building with an animal will now be required to leave personal identification with shelter staff until the animal has been returned.

crazydays
April 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Melinda- thanks for your information. I have not got any further information but you can bet I will be listening to the news and follow the website. I really want information to come into the police to resolve this..Very upsetting that dogs in a shelter can become victims of crime.

Melinda
April 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
it happened in cornwall last year, never found the dog, but it ended up being a case of a split up and the other partner handed in her ex's dog.

Dogastrophe
April 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
The Metro SPCA in Halifax ran into problems like this a few years ago - people would take a dog out for a 'walk' and never come back. As a result, they started asking for both ID and car keys before allowing people to take dogs out (the shelter is in an area of town that pretty much requires a car to get to so most, if not all, people will have their keys with them).

badger
April 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
It happened in cornwall last year, never found the dog, but it ended up being a case of a split up and the other partner handed in her ex's dog.

Oh that's mean ;).

I'm quite surprised these controls aren't already in place.

wdawson
April 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
where does this say pit.......why does pit come up everytime....the story says rottie.....big big difference......know wonder pits are banned:sad: always mis i'd

crazydays
April 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Just to give you the information that the rottie pup "Bobby" was found. The Barrie Police were involved and returned the pup to the SPCA. This little pup has wonderful new adoptive parents. Story ended up happy!!!! I don't have any other details regarding the suspect.

chico2
April 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
That's great news,thank's crazydays:thumbs up

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
:highfive: Good news!

angeldogs
April 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
good news:highfive:

i'm interested as to if the same woman had him and what charges are being laid.

cpietra16
April 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Glad to her it...why do people do weird things, I'll never know:yell:

Frenchy
April 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
good news:highfive:

i'm interested as to if the same woman had him and what charges are being laid.

Same here, glad for the pup, but hoping this woman will get charge with something.