Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding amount question

sissani
April 17th, 2007, 02:34 AM
How do I know how many calories my dogs and cat need?

I know the intructions on the bag dont neccissarily apply, so how do I determine the amount of food to feed/the amount of calories to give?

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 03:31 AM
It depends how much they weigh and how active they are.

sissani
April 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
A 42 lb Brittany / Border collie that is very active.
A 23 lb Beagle that is moderately active.
And a 10 lb (diabetic) cat that is not very active at all.

I searched online and a few sites but none had an clear answers to this... Is there some formula or something to determine this?

Purpledomino
April 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think that "what" you feed is another important factor as well as the size of dog, and activity level that you stated. If you feed a quality holistic kibble, or complete raw diet I believe you would need to feed less than a crappy supermarket brand food that is full of fillers, and empty calories.

Dog food companies are also in the business of selling dog food, so keep in mind that what the bag says is likely more than your dog actually needs to keep a healthy lean weight. Recognizing what a "healthy" weight is for your pets by just being able to feel the ribs (not see), a nice tuck and good muscle tone is probably your best bet to know if your pet is getting enough, or too much food. Variables in exercise will also make your pet lose or gain, so this is good to learn. I am always "checking" out my dogs without really realizing it, and alter their feed accordingly.