Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blech... just, blech. (a rant!)

Tommysmom
April 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
It's Monday. Tommy's food is under recall for reasons unknown, people are shooting people in Virginia, when does this end? Why can't we protect our food supply? Why aren't we testing imported products? Why on earth do we think it's ok to import ingredients - from a country that slaughters dogs - to use in our pet foods anyway? Where are our morals and values these days?

Ok, well this is sorta on topic anyway, isn't it? LOL.

I'm just so darn frustrated. Tommy's vet wants him in tomorrow for a urine sample and a blood test because with all of his symptoms we wouldn't have been able to tell if he was suffering any adverse effects from his food that has now been recalled. That's going to be another $300-400, I'll bet. Not that I mind, but omg, with all he's been through, and all the stuff we've done to get him to this point, to think that we might now be facing problems due to the very food that was supposed to be helping him???? I'm sure he's fine, he actually seems to be the healthiest he ever has been... but I now have to spend more money just to be sure, because of another darn food scare... I'm just so upset about it all.

Thank goodness I just decided a while ago to add some different food to the mix cuz I thought Tommy was getting a bit bored - at least I have something to feed him! What if I hadn't done that? What would we do now?

Not to mention that I'm the one who got my mom and my sis to feed all their doggies this food... I've been on the phone with them so much making sure their doggies are ok.

God, I feel horrible. I really hate Mondays:sad: .

technodoll
April 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I think you need a big :grouphug: and a martini :p I agree Mondays suck, add to the 9 people who have died in the northeastern storms, and hundreds who lost their homes to flooding, the thousands without power in the freezing temps... OMG! I need a hug too! LOL (kidding)

too bad tommy doesn't do well on homecooking... that would fix alot of problems re: food supply, safety, etc.

martini party? :party:

BusterBoo
April 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Martini party sounds good!

it just seems that every once in a while things pile up.....crap happens and it all comes tumbling down!

The shooting is such a cowardly act!
The dog food issue is such a frustrating time!

And winter won't leave us alone!!!!!!!

I prefer the Chocolate Martinis!

Prin
April 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry, Tommy's mom. I so wish it wasn't Tommy's food affected. I wish it wasn't any food affected. What a poor state the business is in right now.:sad:

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I agree. I was so shocked when the news came out about Natural Balance. I hope they find the cause soon and I hope it's not the venison. :fingerscr

HUGS for you and Tommy. :grouphug: :grouphug: And, I hope his tests are okay. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

breeze
April 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I really hope things work out for you and tommy with his food and tests :goodvibes: and lot and lot and lots of :grouphug: sent your way...

Tommysmom
April 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the :grouphug: ... lots of :grouphug: back too from me and Tommy!

It's just all such a mess right now, eh? I know Tommy's ok, or at least I'm pretty sure he is, and he loves his Solid Gold so no biggie... but I wonder what's going on. If there is an ingredient in the NB that is bad, what on earth is next?

I really would love to feed Tommy raw. Think I'll talk to the vet again tomorrow about it, just to see if he's actually healthy enough to try. The main problem has been just that his immune system was so compromised that introducing strong bacteria - even if it's mostly good stuff - was a bit iffy for him, but he's been off prednisone for a couple of weeks now, so maybe soon.

I hope no other doggies are seriously ill... maybe it's all being caught nice and early because of the other recalls.

So much crap in the world... just makes me wanna give everybody big hugs. I think I'll go to bed early and snuggle with the pup, there's nothing to cheer you up like sharing a pillow with warm, fuzzy puppy.

Mocha's mum
April 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I was so shocked when the news came out about Natural Balance.

WHAT???!!! I've been away for a few days.....

Oh crap, I was feeding Mocha Natural Balance a few months ago....time to start pacing.....

Mocha's mum
April 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED.

AAAARRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! When will this crap ever end????

Tommysmom
April 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Great. Now it's the food AND the treats we've been feeding Tommy. When will this ever end? What the h*ll is SAFE now?

pitgrrl
April 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I really would love to feed Tommy raw. Think I'll talk to the vet again tomorrow about it, just to see if he's actually healthy enough to try. The main problem has been just that his immune system was so compromised that introducing strong bacteria - even if it's mostly good stuff - was a bit iffy for him, but he's been off prednisone for a couple of weeks now, so maybe soon.

Not trying to 'jack your thread at all :sorry: , but I've read a few of your posts about Tommy and it seems like he's had alot of the same problems as one of my dogs. I've fed a few different versions of homecooked food and a stab or two at raw, so if you feel like trading ideas, PM me.

Lukka'sma
April 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I just read over this thread. I have been feeding Lukka the venison and brown rice treats for a few weeks now too. Oh crap!!!!
This is just so darn frustrating. I had no idea they were on recall until just seconds ago. I am so pee'd off.

chico2
April 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
:pray: for little Tommy,beautiful Lukka and everyone else:fingerscr
This is just getting too darn scary,what's next???
I agree with Tommys mom,why on earth is anything we feed our animals coming from China??
I thought about what the Chinese do with the carcasses of dogs/cats once they have skinned them for their fur??
Hopefully it does not end up in canned food for our cats/dogs:yell:

Tommysmom
April 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Yay, he's in the clear!! Blood tests came back just fine!! I hope you guys are ok too, Lukka'sma.

Pitgrrl, I'll definitely take you up on that offer, thank you! I'll pm you when I get minute tonight, some new ideas would be fantastic :) .

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Great news re Tommy!!! I am thrilled for him and for you and your and of course his family!! Whew!

But I understand your rant - it has been one awful day with the shootings and the food recall. I am still learning how to feed my kitties ho,me made stuff- not easy but have nutritionists and vets helping me. Gawd, I hope none of them ate something they should not have but thus far, they are all healthy. It is as if we keep waiting to hear, "and the next food to be delisted is...."

kiara
April 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
The reason these ingredients are coming from China is because it makes these products cheaper. It is all about money. We have a lot of empty land in Canada why can't we grow these ingredients ourselves? So it will cost a little more, but we will be sure that they are safe for our pets. And it will create jobs for our own people.