Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy doing doodoo in odd places...

krh62
April 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
My dalmatian has kept her bowel activities in the same general area in our yard for years. Just lately, she is going right outside the door on the patio or sometimes around the corner, but still on the cement area. She doesn't appear to be having any other bowel issues, or is anxious to "go".

Anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening? Thanks

:confused:

SableCollie
April 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
How old is the dog now? If she is getting on in years, she could be getting a bit senile, or it could be getting difficult for her to walk all the way to her usual area.

Is the "bathroom area" she used to used being kept clean and is it easy for her to get to?

If there is nothing physically wrong with her, you could just retrain her by taking her outside on leash several times a day and taking her over to the spot you want her to use and when she goes in that spot, praise her and give her a treat.

krh62
April 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
She is 11. Doesn't appear to have any other symptoms of going senile. I'm gonna try rewarding her when she "goes" in the right are. Thanks for you suggestion!:pawprint:

breeze
April 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
maybe there is a smell or somthing in the area that is bothering her, that she does not like :shrug: she could be getting picky because of it.

clm
April 16th, 2007, 09:38 PM
My Yogi hated getting his feet wet, a trait shared by dalmations I think. Anyway, when he was getting older, 10+ he got so he would go on the path or the patio if the yard was wet. Just wasn't willing to go into the wet grass anymore. If it was dry or snow covered he would go out on the lawn, but wet grass he wanted nothing to do with.

Cindy