Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

are foods without wheat gluten okay?

crazyforcats
April 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I have cans of Iams dog food which I stopped feeding my puppy, even though it's not on the recall list and doesn't contain wheat gluten.

With the newly recalled Royal Canin, again I was concerned because this is what I feed my cat - not the actual one that was recalled - I feed him the "CR: for sensitive tummies". My kitty spent years vomiting daily - after trying many, many other foods, this canned Royal Canin CR is the only one that he is great on. I do not want to take him off of it - it has not been recalled and does not contain wheat gluten.

My question is: If none of my cat's or dog's food contain wheat gluten, shouldn't I be in the clear from all the food recalls?

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Up until today I would have said it "should" be okay to feed foods without wheat gluten in them. As of today there is a problem with Natural Balance dog and cat food venison formulas and they do not contain wheat gluten.

x.l.r.8
April 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
To answer the question, just because it wasn't recalled does not make it good.
You are looking for one specific ingredient and assuming because it isn't there it's good.
I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you what to feed, however I think I would speak for most if not all when saying when compiling a list of what would be used to feed our pets, Iams wouldn't even reach the page let alone a safe food :yuck: .
The recall has brought many things to light, mostly what has been hidden in dog and cat foods for some time, the antifreeze, diesel oil, rancid fat and left over restraunt grease has been long known about. Using bits of left over by product that would be waste to bulk up chaep brands is an accepted practice, none of this would come under the label of wheat gluten :o . And as for where the meat comes from (I'll save that for someone else to fill the details).
There are some great companys who will stand by their product, none can unfortunatly be brought at the vets or the grocery store.:pawprint:

(P.s. this information has been brought to you by the guru's on the board who continue to educate us all.)

Prin
April 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
The recall list keeps expanding, so just keep an eye out to make sure your food isn't on the list eventually.

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Here's two websites that are keeping on top of things:

1. The Pet Food List, run by the folks at PetsitUSA, is tracking the brands NOT under recall. http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

2. The Pet Food Tracker is listing those that HAVE been recalled. This is important to check, because the official FDA site has been slow to report. http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/