http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

Gunman kills at least 21 at Virginia Tech :sad:

Hunter's_owner
April 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I know I just read this as well. So so sad:sad: :yell: :sad:

raingirl
April 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I hear it's up to at least 29 now...

they will probably blame it on video games again...as usual. When will people realise it has nothing to do with that???

jiorji
April 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
no...not the video games!!:rolleyes:
ok not everybody is as good to sepparate a video game from reality. SOme people really get lost in that stuff. :shrug:

sad story :sad: :candle:

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
It's up to 32 now. :sad: Unfortunately I know someone who goes there and takes engineering classes, where the bulk of the shootings occured. Not only are there that many dead, but there are many more injured as well. THe gunman is dead, but they aren't sure how yet. What's scary is my hubby and I drove by there yesterday on our way home from our trip. I still haven't heard anything about the guy we know from there. His dad works with my husband. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. :pray: This is terribly tragic.

technodoll
April 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
brandy if you hear anything, please let us know... this is just terrible. is there anywhere safe left in the world? :sad:

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
brandy if you hear anything, please let us know... this is just terrible. is there anywhere safe left in the world? :sad:

There's supposed to be a press conference at 4:15pm. If ya'll get CNN or Fox News I'm sure it'll be on there. But I will post an update if I get to it first. What's scary is this is a gun-free zone. Nobody is supposed to even have one. So yeah, I guess if you live on your own private island somewhere you are safe from human monsters at least...

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
We heard from the guy we know. He's okay! <pshew> It's sad because his brother, who was 18, died a couple of years ago, and his dad had terminal stage 4 cancer. I'm so glad he's okay. Apparently the gunman chained the main doors so nobody could get in or out of the engineering hall. This is sooo scary and sad.

Shamrock
April 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Good grief! I hadnt heard of this at all. :eek:

What a world we live in.....:sad: :confused: :sad:

Brandy, I'm so glad your friend is safe, a huge relief for you all.:grouphug: Sounds like this family has suffered enough tragedy as it is.. more would be unbearable.

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM
They are up to 34 dead including the gunman. They aren't sure what the methods are. They also don't know his identity as he had no ID on him at the time. They say he was a young Asian man, but that's all they are saying. They are also saying that no one shut down the campus after the first shooting. There was a shooting in the dorm, then two hours later the shootings occured in the other building.

jiorji
April 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM
phew!! good that your friend is ok Brandy!

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
What a terrible tragedy. :sad: Brandy, I'm glad your friend is okay. :)

Stacer
April 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I listened to the press conference on my way home from work. I'm so isolated during the day that I hadn't heard anything until the radio station cut in with the press conference. It's just so unbelievable, why does this keep happening? Why do people who have problems feel that they need to bring others down with them. Everyone should get training on how to recognize a person who might become a danger to themselves or others, they could incorporate it into high school health classes. Especially for university/college students who feel certain pressures and crack. It's all so horribly sad.

Maya
April 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thats a good idea Stacer but most people are not interested in prevention they prefer to just demonize afterwards.

dtbmnec
April 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I've been inside most of the day and not looking at the news or anything. I'm really isolated up here and kind of miss watching the news (I used to with the 'rents when I lived with them).

I heard about it through some guildies in World of Warcraft. Its sick...really sick.

Most of my friends online are from the States (I suppose WoW is rather popular there) and they were really shocked too. Thankfully I don't think anyone goes there.

Megan