Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy killed in dog attack

Duchess
April 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM
This happened on the weekend in Guelph, Ontario. Such a sad story. :sad: Something as simple as a leash could have prevented this from happening.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=mercury/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1176721991950&call_pageid=1050067726078&col=1050421501457

technodoll
April 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
aaawe just great... another MORON dog owner not following basic laws and common sense... also, aren't pits supposed to wear muzzles in public in Ontario, and not be allowed to be off-leash in public? :confused: poor puppy. that lady looks traumatized. by the size of her tiny puppy it could have been ANY breed of dog that hurt it, doesn't take much at all.. but still, it's just what the world doesn't need, MORE bad pit press. UUGGHH. :mad:

Toonces
April 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
That is so sad:sad:

coppperbelle
April 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
a very sad story. :(

mummummum
April 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
A very sad story indeed, for everyone involved.

Shaykeija
April 16th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Too many tears today.....:rip: :sad:

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Sad, sad story that didn't have to happen. :sad:

Love4himies
April 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Does anybody have a copy of this story they can paste to this thread? I don't seem to be able to access this story through the link.

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I too rec'd a notice saying I needed to be a subscriber to read the article. (Unless it a CP article somewhere else, I won't be able to read it). What is the title?

Duchess
April 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Here's the article:

Pit bull attack kills pup

Four-month-old Shih Tzu mauled despite leash-and-muzzle laws

JOANNE SHUTTLEWORTH

GUELPH (Apr 16, 2007)

More and better signage will do nothing to bring back Helen Wilk's dog Sammie.

But the grieving woman hopes it might remind all dog owners to follow the rules when it comes to walking their dogs.

Wilk was walking her four-month-old Shih Tzu, Sammie, in Yewholme Park Wednesday around 7:15 p.m. when she and the puppy were attacked by a pit bull.

Wilk was slowly introducing her new puppy to the park, she said. This was his third time out. Sammie was on his leash casually chasing leaves when Wilk rounded a corner on the path and headed for home. From the corner of her eye she saw a man at the park's entrance in the process of letting his dog run free.

The small southend neighbourhood park, south of Stone Road and west of Gordon Street, is not one of Guelph's leash-free areas.

The moment the leash was off, the dog, a pit bull, darted toward Sammie and in an instant it was on them, Wilk said.

"I had nowhere to go and no time to react," she said. "I bent down and picked up my dog, wrapping my arms around him to protect him. But to that dog, Sammie was his prey and I guess I was, too."

Tears were never far from the surface as Wilk described the attack. By the end she was outwardly sobbing.

"I keep seeing poor little Sammie with his jaw just hanging. He was such a sweet little dog. This never should have happened," Wilk said. "What kind of owner would let a dog like that off-leash?"

The pit bull lunged at Wilk and knocked her to the ground, she said. It grazed her chin and neck, bruised her elbow, jarred her shoulder and cut her knee.

The pit bull sank its teeth first into Sammie's hind quarters, and then into his face, breaking his jaw and his leg in the process. The jacket and jeans Wilk was wearing are torn and stained with blood from the attack.

Wilk said as soon as the pit bull's owner realized what was happening he bolted after his dog and tried to regain control of it.

"The guy couldn't get his dog off Sammie though. He tried to pry the dog's jaw open but it still wouldn't let go. His teeth were like razors and his grip like a trap," Wilk said.

She said the pit bull's owner started calling for help and whacking his dog in the head to drop Sammie. It finally did and Wilk scooped up her fluffy little dog and made for home.

"I know he felt bad. He kept saying he was sorry."

Wilk took Sammie to her veterinarian who almost immediately transferred him to the Ontario Veterinary College's small-animal clinic. Doctors there stabilized Sammie and attended to his wounds.

Wilk went to Guelph General Hospital to have her own wounds looked at. She had also gone into shock from the trauma.

The next day she made the difficult decision to have Sammie put down.

"They would have to wire his jaw, put pins in his leg and who knows what else. He was in rough shape and there was no guarantee that any of it would work," Wilk said. "I know it was the kindest decision, but it was also a hard one."

In the meantime, the pit bull's owner had already had his dog euthanized.

"I did speak to him on the phone and he said a million times that he was sorry," Wilk said. "He was thoroughly and obviously upset. But that doesn't bring Sammie back, does it? That doesn't undo what was already done."

Ontario residents have had two years to absorb, understand and obey amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act that bans any new pit bulls in Ontario. Dog owners who already had pit bulls when the legislation came into effect can keep them but they must be muzzled and leashed in public spaces.

In addition, the City of Guelph has its own bylaws that stipulate all dogs must be leashed while in public unless in one of the seven leash-free dog parks in the city.

The provincial ban was controversial and many pit bull owners argued the breed is not inherently dangerous.

"That's what the dog owner said too, that his pit bull had never done anything like this before. It's bad enough my dog was so injured that I had to have him put down. What if that dog attacked a child or an elderly person?

"The public needs to be aware this is still happening," Wilk said.

Her neighbour Stephanie Rye heard the commotion in the park that night and came out to see what was going on.

"I didn't really know what I was walking into," Rye said. "I could see Helen was distraught and that young man was genuinely upset that night, too."

Rye wonders if the law should be strengthened further so all dogs should be muzzled in public unless in a designated, leash-free dog park.

"I keep thinking what if? What if it had been my son with a dog? What if the dog had attacked a child instead of Sammie? And what if that man had obeyed the law?

"Sammie would still be alive," she said.

Love4himies
April 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Thank you Duchess.

Love4himies
April 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have a love for all animals and know that dogs need to run to burn energy, but they are animals and there is no why for dog owners to predict with 100% certainty what their dogs will do and should therefore be restrained at all times in public. Cities need to recognize the need for fenced in dog parks to allow owners to run their pets.

I feel so bad for Wilk, she must be so traumatized!