Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitty got out of the house!!!

Cram
April 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
My cats are indoors only- they're both around 5 years old and have really never been outside except on leash (except for Sam, she was a stray before the SPCA brought her in and I adopted her, but she hasn't been out since then).

Yesterday we came home in the afternoon from buying groceries/ going to work for a while and somehow the back door wasn't closed properly. Generally, we lock it because it doesn't seal tight and we don't want it to open up and let our puppy, Helix, out because our backyard isn't fully fenced. Well, I came into the kitchen to find Helix with his nose peaking out the backdoor and scooped him up before he could sneak out! I was so scared- that door is definitely getting fixed soon (we're renting, so we have to ask the landlords...). So not even thinking of the kitties because they don't generally hang out downstairs a lot because of the puppy, we just assumed everything was ok. The cats usually just sleep upstairs in the bedroom and only come down to eat, drink and use the litterbox. We saw Sam, and all night she was a LOT more vocal than usual- hanging out with us and meowing. We made sure she had her evening meal and fresh water (because she'll complain if she doesn't) but she kept meowing! So eventually I went upstairs to do a few things later in the evening and I noticed that Ella wasn't around or in any of her usual spots. I then put two and two together and realized she could be outside and that was what Sam was trying to tell us! It was dark by then (she is licensed and microchipped and spayed) and I didn't know how we would find her if she went very far. I checked out front first and then looked out back. Somehow that day, the door to the garage was left open a bit and I saw the reflection of her eyes from the garage! By this time I was freaking out, so I was soooooo happy to see her! I just went in and picked her up and brought her inside. She certainly didn't look stressed at all, but I was! I feel like such a bad mom! At least now we know that when Sam is acting weird then there's something wrong... considering they don't get along at all I was surprised that she even noticed Ella's absence. She hissed at Ella a couple of times when she came back in, but then relaxed and now they're back to their normal standoffish relationship.

Sorry for the ramble! Please don't be too harsh! :sad:

papillonmama
April 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
No worries, my cats get out a lot, it's almost down to being a game for them, they call it, "how freaked out can we make momma?"

Mine are slippery little guys who like the shock value. :evil: They always stay on the back porch waiting for me to come outside flipping out, and usually just jump into my arms, or after a fake chase usually down one set of stairs and back up the other side.:rolleyes:

Never mind the time we thought we lost the dog, running up and down the alley way, only to come home and find that she was sleeping under the couch the whole time.:laughing:

It's pretty hard to always have your eyes on them, I am always checking to make sure that everyone is still home.

cpietra16
April 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I can just imagine how you felt... but atleast you got her back. They are very sneaky when they want to be so don't be so hard on yourself.

brandynva
April 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you've had a rough few days! Glad Helix is doing better. Maybe Ella was just jealous of all the attention he was getting. ;) My cat escapes every so often too. He waits right by the door for the perfect opportunity. And with two dogs and two kids he gets provided with it quite a bit! But he is tagged and often my daughter runs right out to fetch him. Like the others said, don't be too harsh on yourself!

RolandsMom
April 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
lol. sorry you were so freaked out. I know just how you feel! they are slippery little whoosits, thats for sure and i really do think that its a game for them sometimes. Luckily she didnt feel the need to go exploring too far! glad you found her!

Cram
April 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, it was a rough weekend! But everything turned out well in the end.

Tonight Helix is getting a bath and some flea meds (Revolution) cuz I think he picked up some fleas out at my parent's place at Easter. I spent all day yesterday making him a fancy cover for his crate and a new mattress/ quilt thing to put inside for bedding that I hope he won't have the urge to destroy. I'm going to try to post some pics tonight :)

Lukka'sma
April 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm so glad you got your kitty back. It is so hard on a parent when one of the kids goes missing.
I am going to the picture forum now to see if Helix has a new thread as promised!:fingerscr

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
So even though Sam and Ella have a love/hate relationship, Sam was considerate enough to try and tell you that Ella was missing. :angel: I'm glad Ella didn't venture far and she is now safe at home. :cloud9:

Cram
April 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Now we really have to watch Ella! She's much braver than she has been previously. last night I went to take Helix out to pee and left the door open a crack, when I turned around Ella was standing on the steps! So I grabbed her and took her inside. There have been cats fighting near our house for the past two nights and I think she's curious. I don't want her out there- one of the cats is our neighbours, but the other I'm not sure of- he's a big matted orange guy that might not belong to anyone. (BTW we just moved into our place in December, so we're just discovering all the interesting things as it gets nice outside and everything becomes more active).