Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Info Up On Natural Balance Site

Furryland
April 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
"NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available."

http://www.naturalbalance.net/

gosh, i don't like the words kidney problems:sad: i haven't seen any of my cats acting oddly.. geez, talk about feeling like i jumped from the frying pan into the fire[i switched from Nutro to DVP NB]

One Beagle Girl
April 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Oops, I just posted that in your previous thread! :sorry:

Prin
April 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
No, not kidney problems! :yell:

technodoll
April 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I am so gonna start a "home feeding" consulting business!!! :mad: this is getting beyond stoopid now. :eek:

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Lucky NB is limited ingredients so likely the peas unless someone purposely poisoned the meat, I would avoid those 2 ingredientseven in other food since we have no idea who is manufacturing or what other foods they make

wmarcello
April 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
How can these two statements on their site possibly go together?

"We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems."

and

"THIS ONLY AFFECTS OUR VENISON & BROWN RICE &
VENISON & GREEN PEA DRY DOG AND CAT FOODS"

Translation?

We have no sweet clue what is causing the problems, but all the rest of our food is safe.

Flawed logic at its most dangerous.

OntarioGreys
April 16th, 2007, 02:51 PM
How can these two statements on their site possibly go together?

"We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems."

and

"THIS ONLY AFFECTS OUR VENISON & BROWN RICE &
VENISON & GREEN PEA DRY DOG AND CAT FOODS"

Translation?

We have no sweet clue what is causing the problems, but all the rest of our food is safe.

Flawed logic at its most dangerous.

It means they have been recieving numerous consumer complaints on these 2 foods, so they are doing the smart thing and recalling and ask for FDA help to find out what is wrong, sure beats what menufood did, telling consumer nothing was wrong with the food and that their animal must have gotten poison even after they announced the recall

Tommysmom
April 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I think they've handled it well so far, they've had complaints about a batch of food and they've pulled it and told people about it... at this point, I can't see much more they could do.

Just to show how fast they've acted too... my husband went to return a bag of food we'd just bought last week, and I gave him a printout from the NB website because I didn't know if they'd have heard about this yet, but they'd already been informed by NB. All bags were pulled and they were fully aware. That's pretty fast communication.

I still hope it turns out to be nothing, but at least I still feel comfortable right now with that company after seeing how they are dealing with this at this point.

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
It means they have been recieving numerous consumer complaints on these 2 foods, so they are doing the smart thing and recalling and ask for FDA help to find out what is wrong, sure beats what menufood did, telling consumer nothing was wrong with the food and that their animal must have gotten poison even after they announced the recall

The thing that infuriated me the most about the Menu recall was their claims of foods being safe, only to be later recalled a week or two later. As we all know, this didn't just happen at the start either. Del Monte products, Medi-Cal, etc... they didn't get recalled until just a week or two ago.

I sure hope this doesn't happen here either. I just think it's bold for the company to make the claim that no other NB food is contaminated, despite not having a clue what they are looking for.

Furryland
April 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The thing that infuriated me the most about the Menu recall was their claims of foods being safe, only to be later recalled a week or two later. As we all know, this didn't just happen at the start either. Del Monte products, Medi-Cal, etc... they didn't get recalled until just a week or two ago.

I sure hope this doesn't happen here either. I just think it's bold for the company to make the claim that no other NB food is contaminated, despite not having a clue what they are looking for.

The gist i get is they have received complaints only in regards to the dry venison products and it seem they are from the same lot?

Of coarse, who knows for sure? i am concerned i'd be lying to say otherwise but i will continue with my ultra premium dog and cat kibbles and continue to watch the pets and the DVP website for updates.:fingerscr

marine's girlie
April 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i was looking at the natural balance site again and i noticed something that wasn't there before. in the ingredient panel they now have listed "rice protein concentrate". i could swear it wasn't there yesterday and the rest of the page still says "grain free" and "no rice" so they didn't change all of it. my concern is this: what is "rice protein conecentrate"? it sounds an awful like "gluten" to me. if so, then any gluten is suspect.
i'm waiting for a call back (supposedly) for someone to tell me what "rice protein concentrate" is (since the girl i spoke to had no clue and told me to "ask a vet") but i'm not hopeful that i'll get a call back. i will post a reply if i get one.
i guess i'll have to keep searching for a grain free diet for my cats.

RUSTYcat
April 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
email from Itchmo:

"Itchmo reports verification from Natural Balance, that more of their foods have been pulled, due to melamine found in a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten in their foods.

Itchmo has confirmed with Natural Balance that their recall has expanded and now covers the following items for all dates:

* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

USA Today has also run a story on the Natural Balance recall. Read it here:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm

Natural Balance hasn’t updated their website to reflect the new information yet, but according to Itchmo, they’ll be releasing into the mainstream media soon.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://thepetfoodlist.com/forums/index.php?topic=91.0 "

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Itchmo has confirmed with Natural Balance that their recall has expanded and now covers the following items for all dates:

* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

More recalls after previously stating they were safe... sounds familar. :mad:

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Everyone should check their pet food labels for the ingredient "rice protein concentrate" as there could be other companies out there that haven't made an announcement yet.

wmarcello
April 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Everyone should check their pet food labels for the ingredient "rice protein concentrate" as there could be other companies out there that haven't made an announcement yet.

According to thepetfoodlist.com, Diamond is associated with:

Diamond
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Natural Balance
Nutra Nuggets
Premium Edge
Professional Pet Food
Solid Gold

I think anybody feeding any of these foods should pay extra attention, and if possible contact the companies and try to find some concrete answers.

RUSTYcat
April 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
After a couple of times having felt "safe", I now truly believe this will go on for some time. And, I'm terrified that I'm going to catch some piece of news too late.

I'd recommend to everyone this automated alert service I found - info here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39335

onster
April 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
so I guess I shouldn't switch to solid gold then :frustrated: . God I am so frustrated :mad: , I think I may be ur first customer technodoll...

yeesh.

Prin
April 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM
According to thepetfoodlist.com, Diamond is associated with:

Diamond
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Natural Balance
Nutra Nuggets
Premium Edge
Professional Pet Food
Solid Gold
Don't forget Kirkland from Costco.

TeriM
April 17th, 2007, 10:07 PM
This sucks. When the holistic foods get involved it just seems even more scary :sad: .

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree and I keep thinking "I wonder who is next?" :sad: :frustrated:

Furryland
April 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I did mention this in another thread but i'll mention it again.

While i haven't looked up many foods, i did find the RPC in Nutro natural choice complete care adult Cat My cats used to be on this before all the menu foods recalls began.. whether they used the same source i have no idea but .. it's good to know it's present regardless, i hope they used a different supplier.:fingerscr