Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Talk talk talk talk and more talking kittens

uwsga
April 16th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Hi everybody, I found you forum in a search on google and was hoping to get a bit of help.

My one kitten ( shaksphere ) does not stop talking. Follows me everywhere I go in the house. I can not go to the bathroom without both kittens following me. Both cats need to sleep in my arm while im watching tv and both hate when I leave the house. I have had both since they were very very small ( approx 6 weeks ) and I do believe they think Im their daddy of sorts..If that makes any sense. Anyway... One of them simply will not stop talking. I say good morning Shakespere and sure enough it will answer, and if I say something along the lines of..you look comphy..Sure enough, it will meow something back to me. What Im wondering is if their is a issue the cat is trying to tell me about? They are both due to go to the vet but not until june to get fixed and to get their shots. Should I spend the money to have them both brought in sooner or wait and see if the problem is not really a problem at all. They are both very healthy looking and are good eaters and trained with the litter. They do no poop outside of the litterbox ever so I dont think there is an issue there. What does the forum think? Here is a is pic of them at their first vet visit ( sitting on their file lol )

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3231/argoandshakkyuz4.jpg

Ps Shakesphere often will meow, jump up on me, then when I put her down, she will jump right back up on me. That what made me get some advise.

Christopher

badger
April 16th, 2007, 04:12 AM
They are adorable and yes, you are their Daddy. Some cats are more talky than others, nobody knows why, but it is normal (and delightful) behaviour, which you are reinforcing when you talk to them. I do it with my cats (which I got when they were much older) and some of them are quite chatty.
Aren't kittens supposed to have their first shots before 6 months?

chico2
April 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM
OMG,are they ever cute:lovestruck:
I would not worry about the talkative one,like Badger says,it's just really cute.
I too talk to my cats all the time,often get answers:laughing:
My oldest,Rocky,has a whole array of sounds and I swear,when he wants somthing he says ma-ma...he also comes with me in the bathroom,knowing he'll get extra cuddles beeing cute on the bathroom-mat:cat:

badger
April 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I just realized, with a name like Shakespeare, wouldn't you think the little bard would have something to say? :)

heather17021977
April 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM
We have two 10 week old kittens (got them at 8 weeks old) and they are chatters too. Stewie is the most though. We do not let them in certain rooms (bedrooms, bathroom upstairs, computer room) and when we are in there, they meow and call to us until our hearts cant take it and go to them and open the door (yes, we're suckers :) )

I love it when they talkto us....they even understand some commands now too.

uwsga
April 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks everybody, I feel better now. I just wasnt sure if it was normal. To answer badgers question, They had their first set of shots and got their de wormining when I first got them but they need to be fixed and get a basic check up sometime in may. I wanted to get the visit to get them fixed last month but the clinic actually closed until may for renovations.

My kittens also do not like to be locked out of any room, they too will meow until I give in and open the door. This is ecspecially true if im sitting on the toilet or taking a shower lol.

Chris

RolandsMom
April 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Lol. you have a talker. They are great entertainment. and what beautiful kitties!!!!1:lovestruck: :lovestruck: i think that a lot of cats love the bathroom! Roland (my kitten) follows anyone in there who will let him in. maybe they know that whoever is in there has to give them lots of attention cause its a small enclosed space and are given very little option of not doing so.
I also think that you are definately a father (or maybe even a mother) figure to them, specially since they were so small when you got them. attached for life they are. :cloud9:

jiorji
April 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I just realized, with a name like Shakespeare, wouldn't you think the little bard would have something to say? :)

lol I agree!

cute kittens and OMG they talk?? My cat talks to and I find it so cute! So...no sympathy from me..you can send me the kittens if you want :D hehe

i think it's normal. I mean, it's only polite that if someone speaks to you, they answer back:D They just have lots of stories to tell. You can have fun with this and try to get him to say words..i heard somewhere you can train talkative cats to do that.

Your kittens sure are special :cloud9:

SableCollie
April 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I once knew a cat that talked all the time, even when she was eating. She would go "num num num" as she ate, as though she were commenting on the food. It was so cute.

Those kittens are adorable!!!! :lovestruck:

cpietra16
April 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
They're adorable. I had a Russian Blue who talked and talked and if I didn't answer I would get pawed..and if I didn't snawer after that I would get clawed...which usually got my attention:D

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Yes, lots of cats are talkers and it just adds to their charm. :cloud9: I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and your kitties are adorable. :lovestruck: Please feel free to post more pics in the Photo Forum here. :D

chico2
April 17th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Oh yes,more pics for sure:lovestruck:

uwsga
April 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
More pics coming right up. Thanks for the warm welcome. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
April 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM
As a meomy to Siamese, I have to agree- I LOVE kitties who love to talk!!! And they really do acquire such a great language!!! Maybe yours are part meezer???
:D Seriously, many cats like to talk and I think yours may well be living up to his name - you name a cat Shakespeare and he needs to recite every play of course!! It sounds like you really had a great handle (pun intended) on his personality whe n you named him! LOVE his name as well - and oh my, they are sooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!