Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best Age to Get a New Puppy??

Jilostra
April 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I looked in the top 15 posts and didn't see this one listed, but I'm sure someone has posted this question before... I just didn't find it. :o

I am getting a new puppy and can either pick her up this coming weekend (21st) or in two weeks on May 5th. I am unable to get her in between due to my job.

If I get her on the 21st, she will be 7 1/2 weeks as she was born on Feb. 28th.

If I wait and get her on the 5th, she will be 9 1/2 weeks.

I have read several books here at home and many articles on line only to find that some people swear that you HAVE to wait until the puppy is 8 weeks or older. Other people swear you should get the puppy at 7 weeks.

If I get her this weekend, she is very, very close to 8 weeks but if I wait 2 weeks then she's much older than 8 weeks and I honestly don't know how important this two-week difference will make.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I will be more ready on the 5th, but can easily GET ready now if necessary. I want to make sure she has as much time with us, her new human family, for socializing, etc.

THANKS in advance!!

mafiaprincess
April 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'd wait. Better mannered having been taught by littermates. In small breeds 12 weeks is the norm letting go of pups. Nothing bad can come of waiting a little longer, but a lot of not nice stuff can be because the pup went home early.

badger
April 16th, 2007, 02:50 AM
uh, 2 weeks? Mafia?

Jilostra
April 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Well, I have heard that it doesn't matter how old a puppy/dog is because they can adapt to most families. In this case, I just waned to be able to have the most time in the early stages for her to adapt to us without other dogs (we only have the one cat and two fish). ;)

I would like to have her sooner, but on the other hand it will be much like when I brought my son home from the hospital... life will definitely change.

If the difference between 7 1/2 weeks and 9 1/2 weeks won't matter regarding her life with us, then I guess I'll just wait those extra couple weeks.

phoenix
April 16th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I got one of my puppies at 6 weeks old and the other at around 9 weeks. WHAT A DIFFERENCE> the older one had more manners, much better bite inhibition, was calmer about th separation...

Some of this might be due to their different personalities, but I think it is really worth waiting the extra weeks and letting your new pup socialize with littermates as long as you can.

breeze
April 16th, 2007, 10:55 AM
IMO I would wait until the pup was 9`1/2 weeks old. It will give the pup more time to be with the mother and other siblings,
When I got Bree she was 8 weeks old and if I could I would have waited a little longer. It is amazing how a week or two makes a big difference.

Jilostra
April 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have a friend at work who wishes she had got her puppy earlier than 9 or 10 weeks old because apparently, in her case, the puppy began to get so in dependant that he didn't form any type of loving bond with his owner. I'm not sure how that works, but apparently he just doesn't like to be very close to his owner.

Anyway... it turns out I have to go get her this weekend anyway, so the decision has been made for me. The breeder isn't telling me I have to come sooner... circumstances have lead to it.

When I do get her, she will be very close to 8 weeks and the breeder tells me she is doing well with her litter mates and mother as well as with her, the breeder, who is taking care of all of all the puppies.

It will definitely be an experience having a new puppy around the house!!

clm
April 16th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Our first dog was 16 weeks old when we got him. He was one of 2 pups from the same litter that the breeder still had. He was way over standard size for a Keeshond (a trait from his mothers side of the family), and the breeder was keeping his brother as a show prospect. Freddie had no problems bonding with us at all and at 4 months of age, was already housebroken :D

Cindy

Prin
April 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'd wait. Too long is better than too short. :)

mummummum
April 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Declan was eight (or was he nine?) YEARS old when I got him... we've had no problem bonding.:o

Jilostra
April 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I appreciate all of them. I'm beginning to think it really doesn't matter how old so long as I love her. I would have been happy with waiting out until the 9 1/2 weeks, but things aren't working out that way for me. The good thing is that she is old enough to come here now although, from what everyone here has said, not quite the ideal age.

Is there a place to share pictures on this forum?

mafiaprincess
April 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
2 was meant to be 12. Yikes!!

rainbow
April 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Is there a place to share pictures on this forum?

Yes, there is a Photo Forum here and we love pictures. Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see pics of your new arrival. :D

Jilostra
April 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks Rainbow!!

Jilostra
April 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I have our new puppy!

And you were probably all correct about it being better to wait... but only time will tell. She's wonderful, but definately missing her siblings and mother.

Unfortunately, due to timing on my part (aka my life was no going to allow that I get her at 9 1/2 weeks plus I was concerned about her staying there too much longer due to the area, etc)... I have her at 8 weeks.

She's wonderful and I'll put more pictures up later. We have named her Eli but have not decided on her "official" name but it will probably be something like Eleanor Belle of Idaho OR Belle's Eleanor of Idaho OR Idaho's Eli Belle'... or something off the wall like that.

Her mother's name is Idaho's Grand Transaction and her grandmother is Anna Belle. I'm trying to incorportate bother names because Anna Belle is my brother's dog and I wanted to mention her some how.

But for now she's just Eli. :clown:

Jilostra
April 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
What she does that makes me think everyone here was correct on the waiting thing.

1. She chews on everything... everything. We do have chew toys for her and she chases them and does indeed chew them. Then she come back and chews my hand some more. Sheeeesh. :)

2. She whines a lot. This is, I hope, probably due to being separated from her mom and siblings. She does great in her crate (wire) for naps and night time, but doesn't like to be in there if we're actually around the room and she's wide awake. I guess I can understand that. ;)

I am trying something one of the books recommends and that is to put her in for five minutes and then, when she's calm, let her out with praises. It seems to be working a bit. I also did that with her kennel. This coming Wednesday she will have to be alone for about 2 1/2 hours out in her kennel. I already warned my neighbor because Eli definitely doesn't like being out there alone. Today I put her out there for about 10 minutes... she was okay for a while and then the crying began.

For the most part, she's around us a lot. She sleeps in our room while in her crate and does well with that. She will sleep in the the crate while in the kitchen as well.

Accidents: I'm finally getting to understand her schedule. The first morning, I took her out to pee/poo and she did both. We came back inside and a little while later she started searching for a place to go. She went poo again. Apparently, once wasn't enough.

So this morning I took her out and she went pee/poo. I waited for a while and came back inside. Guess what... she had to go some more. So I picked her up half way through and told her no... placed her out on the deck and she went straight out to her kennel and finished the job. GOOD GIRL!! She really is smart!

jessi76
April 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
I am trying something one of the books recommends and that is to put her in for five minutes and then, when she's calm, let her out with praises. It seems to be working a bit. I also did that with her kennel. This coming Wednesday she will have to be alone for about 2 1/2 hours out in her kennel. I already warned my neighbor because Eli definitely doesn't like being out there alone. Today I put her out there for about 10 minutes... she was okay for a while and then the crying began.

you're leaving this wee pup outside in a kennel while you're gone? omg, IMO, HUGE MISTAKE. I would NEVER leave my dog alone, in a yard (even in a kennel), alone when I'm not home. too much can go wrong. especially a young puppy.

I would keep the pup inside the house, in the crate, for those 2-1/2 hrs.

Jilostra
April 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Okay... so what would you recommend when she has to stay home for more than 2 1/2 hours and she can't hold it longer than that? If she's in a kennel for too long then she'll have to go and that would make a mess of her.

breeze
April 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Ask a friend or neighbour to come in and let her out.... please do not leave her outside if you are not at home things could happen in that time. I would never leave my doggie puppy outside if I was not home and she is 62 lbs and is eight months ole !!

Jilostra
April 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
So at what age can a dog stay outside in a kennel? I bought the kennel because I don't feel safe with her loose in our yard because I don't want her to eat the wrong plant or hurt herself and choke on something. As it is we never let her out alone... someone is always with her and giving her full attention. The kennel was/is to allow us to not coop her up inside all day while we're gone and give her the ability to potty without newspapers, etc.

I'm concerned about it and actually was before it was brought up. I believe we're going to try to take turns coming home from work, but there may be days when it will be more than 2 hours and I'm concerned with her being in a crate for too long as well. And neither of us have the ability to not work so we can stay home. I know people can and do have dogs successfully while still working full time.

I do have a neighbor who said she would come over and play with her and let her out of her kennel during the day when we're gone... she's a home body and may be able to help out. I just don't know her very well. :confused:

breeze
April 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
So at what age can a dog stay outside in a kennel? I bought the kennel because I don't feel safe with her loose in our yard because I don't want her to eat the wrong plant or hurt herself and choke on something. As it is we never let her out alone... someone is always with her and giving her full attention. The kennel was/is to allow us to not coop her up inside all day while we're gone and give her the ability to potty without newspapers, etc.

I'm concerned about it and actually was before it was brought up. I believe we're going to try to take turns coming home from work, but there may be days when it will be more than 2 hours and I'm concerned with her being in a crate for too long as well. And neither of us have the ability to not work so we can stay home. I know people can and do have dogs successfully while still working full time.

I do have a neighbor who said she would come over and play with her and let her out of her kennel during the day when we're gone... she's a home body and may be able to help out. I just don't know her very well. :confused:

When it's hard to say, but a small puppy like that should not be left outside for that long .. she is how old?? 8 weeks way to young IMO.. the create is a much safer place for her inside the house does she stay in the create for the whole night?? then she will be fine for 1/2 hour or even an hour as long as your neighbour come in to let her out and go pottie and some run around time

jessi76
April 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
So at what age can a dog stay outside in a kennel?

IMO, a dog should NEVER be left alone outside. Dogs can jump fences, dig under, someone could let the dog out, steal the dog, poison the dog, the dog could ingest something harmful, could get hurt, could be frightened by something (this could lead to fear problems down the road), etc.. this list could go on and on.

Taking turns coming home from work is great (it's what me & my fiance did). once our pup was fully vaccinated, he occassionally went to doggy daycare or I had a my sister stop in to let him out and play for a 1/2 hr. using a neighbor is a good option too.

since you use a crate, crating times generally go like this... one hour per month old, plus one. 8 wk pup = 2 mths old = 2hrs + 1hr = 3 hrs. 3 hrs is an acceptable time for the pup to be crated without a potty break. any longer may result in an accident, but accidents CAN be cleaned up. Sure, they should be prevented, but some things are just unavoidable sometimes.

you could always use a baby gate to keep the pup in a larger area, like a kitchen. put the crate in the area, and put pee-pads on the other side of the room (away from the crate). this gives the pup an area to move around in, a spot to "go" if needed, and the crate is still available.

i_have_too_many
April 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Congrats on the new addition.

What kind of dog is it? You may have said but I dont remember.

My opinion of kennels is probably going to be hashed at, since it seams most people here have a bad idea of what they can be used for. I am assuming that you mean a large chain-link type of kennel with at least 6 or 8 foot high "walls", and a house of some sort. I have no problems using these types of kennels, and do regularly for our dogs. It would depend of course on what type of dog yours is, small toy breeds or those who are extrememly dependant on people do not do so well. One of the breeds we have does not get kenneled, she is crated in the house when we are away, otherwise she would just whine constantly.

I would wait though untill your pup is several months old before leaving her there for any length of time. You can certainly get her used to it now, by putting her in there for a little while, 1/2 hour at a time, while you are around. Maybe even play with her in it so she knows that it is not a bad thing. Being in the country that is how most dogs spend their days, other wise they are tied to a chain/cable, or let to roam free, which I do not agree with at all. IMO outdoor kennels are a great way to allow your dog some freedom while you are away, or just do not want them underfoot (company who do not like dogs for instance), while keeping them protected from dangers in the yard and around the home. If you are afraid of someone taking the dog, lock the kennel, we did. If your neighbour is home and can let her out frequently, that is great. I have outdoor kennels for our dogs, and a portion of our yard is fenced, about a half acre, and that is where they are right now. It is a beautiful day, they love it outside, but with 2 little kids I can not be out there with them for hours, so I leave them there. They can not get out, and I make sure there is nothing for them to get into. I would love to have them with me all day, but 5 large dogs full of energy are difficult to contain with 2 kids, this way they exercise themselves. After a few hours, I bring them in, then they are so tired they sleep the afternoon away.

congrats again, look forward to seeing pics.

breeze
April 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
IHTM but her pup is only 8 weeks old, :eek: to be in a kennel at that age is nuts, the pup is to small to be left in a kennel. Now if it was an older dog I would say no problem but still not left unatteded for a long peroid of time

Jilostra
April 24th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Well, I think everyone can rest assured that our puppy won't be left outside by herself while she's a puppy (even in a kennel). We have already made arrangements to take turns coming home to let her out. I stayed home yesterday and Michael stayed home today. Each of us kept a diary as to when she ate, pooed, slept and how long, etc.

She has been eating around 6:30 in the morning and then sleeping again for about 30 minutes. She then goes potty again around 8am which is perfect because Michael has to leave for work shortly after that... and she's been sleeping from about 8:30 til 11am or so... which is great because I take lunch somewhere around that time and can come home to let her out, feed her if she wants and play for a short time.

So far she hasn't wanted food until 3pm... which I was a little freaked out about because I heard a puppy needs to eat 3-4 times a day. So far she has been eating about 3 times a day (6:30, 3:30 and 6:30).

Anyway... I won't be keeping her indoors all the time. Once she's old enough, we will have her stay out in the kennel (and yes, IHTM, she has a kennel like you described). In the mean time, we will use her crate! Not to worry.

Like I said, I noticed when I left her out in the kennel she was way too freaked out about it... now, however, I've taken her out to go potty (at the back of the kennel) and she wanders around inside it and into her dog house. Sometimes I play with her inside it and other times I've shut the gate and then played with her through the fence in order to let her know it's a fun thing and not a stressful thing. She has responded well doing this and will play with me. Once she's done, she goes to the gate and I tell her to sit (which she just does automatically at this point) and let her out. It's not more than one minute, actually.

Jessi... she stays in her crate sleeping sometimes for 3 hours, so I'm sure she could stay in there that long while I'm away. The first night we had her she slept about 7 hours... I think she was just exhausted. The last two nights she wakes up around 1am so she's in there for about 4 hours.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We will crate her indoors until she's much older and in the mean time continue to train her off and on for the kennel using it as a place to potty as well as a place to go get her toys from the dog house (she has indoor and outdoor toys).

Side note: We never leave her outside in the yard alone... and even with us back there we have to walk with her all the time. She places EVERYTHING into her mouth.

WE LOVE HER ALREADY!!

I'll put up more pictures soon... I even took a video on my camera today of her chasing after a toy in the kitchen, carrying it back to her giant basket for toys and climbing inside. She's adorable!!

Prin
April 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Why does she have to stay outside later though? :confused:

breeze
April 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I am happy to hear you are working things out :thumbs up you are doing a great job with her, can I ask what kind of puppy is she?? I can't seem to remember

Jilostra
April 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
She won't be an indoor dog while we're away at work... it's not what we want and we don't feel it's wrong to keep her outside while we're away. We are going to provide her with a wonderfully large dog house, plenty of water, a large kennel to be in so she's safe (I'll probably get a lock) and our hours will still make it so she's not alone out there every day for 8 or 10 hours at a time. At the most she will be out there for 6 hours before my son comes home to let her out and play with her. This will be after she's MUCH older than she is now. We won't have her out there while she's a puppy.

She's a yellow lab. I haven't been able to add pictures to the web and I'm not sure if I can upload them to this site without first pointing to another site for he url. Once I get them up, I'll post them in my picture thread.

Michael was home with Ellie today and when I came home from work for my lunch break I used my camera and filmed her chasing her chew toy, carrying it back to her "toy box" and then climbing inside it herself to chew on it. It was soooooo cute! I took the camera to work and you could almost drown in the "ooooo"ing and "aw"ing in the office.

rainbow
April 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I also have a yellow lab. They are soooo cute when they're puppies......can't wait to see the pics. :cloud9:

i_have_too_many
April 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Breeze You probably missed it but I did say at the begining of my second paragraph to wait until her puppy is older to leave it in the kennel. I did not leave our pup in the kennel for a couple hours untill she was 5 or 6 months old.

Being that it is a lab, there should be no problems with her being a kennel dog, almost everyone I know who has a lab keeps them in a kennel for some period of time (for some that is the perminant home, this I do not agree with).

Have fun with the new "baby":stork-baby:

Jilostra
April 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses... they help.

Well... speaking of being in her crate/kennel for a while... we have done it for two days now... the CRATE, that is and each time she has had an accident.

I thought the first time (3 hours), may have been because she ate something about an hour before being left in the crate... plus, it was her first time actually alone in the house as opposed to someone being down the hall. So I think we didn't do very well there!!

Today, I came home from work for lunch and she had another accident (both of these, by the way are poops). She didn't get it on her so much this time, but I have a feeling she couldn't hold it.

Michael had to leave at 8am which was the original plan, however Ellie didn't play along when it came to going potty and sleeping. She went poo at 6:15 and then again around 7am... eating at 6:30. We wanted her to stay awake or wake up again at least long enough to go at 8am... that didn't happen. Instead, she fell asleep hard at 7am and wouldn't wake up well enough to potty at 8am. So she was basically in the crate for 3 hours because I came home even earlier at 10 am in hopes of avoiding what happened.

Any thoughts on making sure she poos one last time before the 3 hour crate time??? I realize it may be unreasonable to expect her to poop at 6:15, 7:00 and 8:00... but apparently she had to go sometime between 8:00 and 10:00.

Perhaps I should have started a new thread or at least looked for others with this same situation before I typed it all here. :confused:

breeze
April 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
this is just my opion,, this is what i did not sure if it right but it did work for me..
right when she gets up you take her out , then give her running aroiund time, then feed her, put her in her crate right after she eats, about 1/2 hour before you are about to leave take her out again (she should go pee and poop then put her back in the cage/crate... remember to give her time to go pee and poop some puppies don't go right away so give yourself plenty of time.
Is the crate to big for her or is she just tiny when they have to much room they have a tendency to go in one corner and able to lie down in an other.
You have to get her on your schedule not you on hers.
when Bree was that old we had accendents until she understood what we wanted, just remember she is only 8 weeks old you are going to have accendents.

It is also hard to keep a puppy awake when all they want to do is sleep

Jilostra
April 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hmmm... so wake at 6:00... take her out right away to go and let her play and then feed her a while later.

I've been feeding her about 10 minutes after we're up, so maybe I need to wait a while longer because I did notice that she's pretty tired right after breakfast. If I were to feed her around 7am and then let her sleep a while and then Michael can take her out and let her go right before he leaves... it could work!

And I'm not upset at her at all for having the accidents. When she has to go... she has to go. In the mornings after sleeping at night, she lets us know by whining and then turning to look at her butt... it's actually quite cute. We trot her out and she does it immediately, so I know she can hold it to an extent. I think she was nervous as well these last two times.

Her crate isn't too big but I did move the divider a tad to see if that helps. She can't really go in one corner and then move to the other corner... but when it's coming out... she can't help it.

breeze
April 26th, 2007, 12:40 PM
try it for a couple of days and see if it helps if not we will figure something else out :thumbs up

jessi76
April 26th, 2007, 01:22 PM
[COLOR="DarkRed"]In the mornings after sleeping at night, she lets us know by whining and then turning to look at her butt...

LOL! tooo cute

you're right, when she's gotta go, she's gotta go! Keep in mind this crazy time is relatively short, soon enough she'll get into a routine, on your schedule, and her potty times will be more predictable.

When my dog was that young, I took him out first thing (always on leash - no play until he went potty). back inside for breakfast. popped him in his crate while I showered and got ready for work (can't very well keep an eye on an 8 wk old pup while drying my hair). I left 20-30 min free before I had to leave to take my dog out again before crating for 2 hrs until my fiance came home for him.

I tried to always give him a quick walk in that last 20-30 mins before crating. The exercise helped to "move things along"... if you know what I mean. ;)

breeze
April 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM
How are things going today, with elli ??

Jilostra
April 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Today she got up at 2:30am for a potty break and then at 5:50 she started whining a bit. I took her out again and she went again.

We waited until 6:30 to feed her this time and she had a nap at 7:10. Michael was able to wake her at 7:30 (very short nap) and she pooed and then went back to sleep at 7:50. I came home at 11am and there was NO ACCIDENT! So I was quite happy!

She went for me, ate a couple treats, we ran and played for about 15 minutes and then I had to leave at 11:45. I put her in her crate and she looked at me with tired eyes. I don't know if she whined while I was away... I felt it best to leave and not look back or I would never leave.

She's doing great! What a precious Ellie!!

breeze
April 27th, 2007, 09:27 PM
That's Great news :thumbs up :highfive:
don't look back at any time cause you just might give in and you don't want to do that :D

Jilostra
April 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Today has been funny so far... well... not sure if "funny" is the right word, but we'll go with that.

She went to bed around 9:30. Every now and then, she whined, but I think it was in her sleep mostly. At 4am, I took her out and then went back to bed. I don't think she was happy about that but since her crate is in my room, she usually settles down quick enough.

So I finally drag myself out of bed at 6:30 and take her out where she pees and asks to go back inside. My mistake.

I didn't have the gates up yet so she ran into the living room and proceeds to squat on my shag carpet. I said NO on the way to her, placed my hand under her butt and said NO again while I took her out to the kennel. I placed her down and she finished.

My fault. Luckily, my hand washes off. :crazy:

She did land ONE on the carpet, but since she's use to her food, it wasn't a bad one and I was able to just roll it onto a paper towel.

Okay, that was probably too much information, huh!!

She's such an :angel:

i_have_too_many
April 28th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Sounds like everything is going well. Breeze made a good point about the crate size. It should be only big enough for the pup to turn around and lay down, once they are trained and you are confident that there will be no "accidents" you can make it bigger. Since we have dogs all the time at different ages we have several crates, starting with one just a little bigger than a cat carrier and moving up in size to the large Vari kennel, we use only solid plastic crates not the wire ones.

Keep up the good work and remember, a pup should enhance your life, not make it more difficult, so make the pup adjust to you.

Jilostra
May 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Well... Ellie is 9 weeks old tomorrow and she's wonderful. We've worked on the mouthing and the housebreaking via crate and a few commands as well as trying to help her know one toy from another.

So far she's doing great with "sit" and even recognizes the hand signal. When I do "stand" she has a little problem with grabbing and then trying to rip it from my fingers, so I've done what one of my books recommends... use a spoon along with my thumb and that seems to help!

Today she had to stay in her crate for longer than usual... a little over 4 hours. This was not planned but it was good because she did NOT have an accident. We've been very diligent on getting her to go before we leave, etc.

She hasn't really caught on to the naming of toys, but I'm sure it will come.

rainbow
May 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM
YAY for Ellie. :highfive:

breeze
May 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM
:highfive: :highfive: for you and ellie great news, keep up the good work :thumbs up

jessi76
May 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
congrats! sounds like Ellie is making GREAT progress!!! :thumbs up