Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions on Go! Natural Salmon & Oatmeal?

celticfox
April 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
As some of you may know from my previous posts, our dog Raven is allergic to chicken, flaxseed and possibly beef and lamb too. Fish based foods without flaxseed (this stuff is in nearly everything!) are few and far between and our latest try with TO Ocean Blue was unsuccessful. Raven didn't experience any itchies whatsoever on it but she absolutely HATED the taste and smell of it. I wasn't willing buy a third bag to see if she would come around to liking it eventually.

I managed to score a 1.5lb sample of the Go! Natural Salmon & Oatmeal from our local Global and Raven (and Rusty) gobbled it up quickly. It was so nice to see Raven lick her bowl clean after a week long hunger strike on the TO Ocean Blue. :rolleyes:

Ingredients:

Salmon Meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Oat fiber, Inulin (FOS), Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (vit. D3), dl Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (vit. E), Ferrous Sulfate, *Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (vit. C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vit. B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin K, Vitamin B12.

Crude Protein (min) 22%
Crude Fat (min) 12%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.8%
Moisture (max) 10%
Calcium (min) 1.12%
Phosphorus (min) .9%
*Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.75%
*Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.3%

I don't have many options left for Raven but I thought I'd ask what you ladies (and gents) think about this food before I get too excited about it. Thanks! :D

Prin
April 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
It's a bit grainy, but there's nothing really wrong with it. :) I'd go for it. :)

geisha
April 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hi there. Go! salmon & Oatmeal is a great food for dogs with allergies as it contains a single protein and a single carb. It is beneficial as part of a rotation diet once the allergy has been isolated. If your dog does well on it continue feeding it exclusively for at least 6 weeks the longer the better. Good luck. BTW I don't find it as grainy as some of the other allergy formulas as it contains both salmon & salmon meal in it's first 2 ingredients. Good luck.
:fingerscr

Prin
April 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, a lotof allergy formulas are quite grainy... This one probably has oats as ingredient #1, IMO, because they're split in three.

geisha
April 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yup! It states there's approx. 35% salmon in it. Go! Wild Salmon is one of the foods that I rotate for my senior sammy. I also give her California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato and raw in the am. I tried Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish but it didn't smell fishy enough! LOL. It lists sweet potato & potato as it's first 2 ingredients and she was reallly hungry on it. I only started raw 1 month ago as I wanted to give her system time to heal itself. It's working for us.

Cram
April 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Have you thought of the new Orijen 6 fish (it just came out last week)? Here are the ingredients:

Fresh salmon, pacific salmon meal, russet potato, Atlantic herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, Canadian sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shells, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants, glucosamine HCl, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, fenugreek, cranberries, marigold flowers, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

celticfox
April 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Prin and geisha.

I'm happy to report that Raven gobbled up her food again this morning and I didn't even have to put cottage cheese in it to make it more appetizing. :thumbs up :D

I must say that the Go! Natural is probably one of the best smelling foods we've tried so far. It has a very pleasant meaty smell to it. If I were a dog I'd certainly want to eat it. Heh heh. As much as I wish Raven had liked the Timberwolf Organics (I swear her coat got much softer while on it) I just don't understand why they feel the need to add all the herbs and spices to their foods. They are quite strong in the Ocean Blue. I wouldn't be surprised if the spices in it are a turn off for many dogs. :shrug:

My only concern at this point would be the difference in ingredients on my sample bag from the ingredient list that I took from the website above. The bag I have lists Citric Acid before the Oat Fiber and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex instead of just Vitamin K. I'm hoping that the different ingredient list on the website means that both of been removed recently. Any idea, Prin?

celticfox
April 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Cram. Thanks so much for posting the ingredients of the Orijen 6 fish. I'd seen others talking about it and was excited about having another fishy option. I was pretty impressed with the ingredients until it listed the herbs and botanicals...

The chamomile flowers concern me. I'm very allergic to ragweed and because chamomile is related to ragweed I react strongly to it also. I believe that Raven has seasonal allergies and I'm not sure I'd want to feed her a food that contains chamomile until I know whether she has a ragweed allergy or not. Of course, if it has a strong herbal smell chances are little miss Raven would turn her nose up at it anyway. :rolleyes:

gypsy_girl
April 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Both Citric Acid and Menadione have been removed from the formula, they just have empty bags to use up.

celticfox
April 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Fabulous! Thanks for the info, gypsy girl. :D

Mocha's mum
April 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I feed Mocha Go! Natural Salmon - he likes it, and it's helping his ears :D

celticfox
April 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Happy to hear it, Mocha's mum. :thumbs up

Rusty and Raven are still happily gobbling up their food. I couldn't be happier. No itchies so far for Raven either. I think we may finally have a keeper. :fingerscr :D

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
YAY Rusty and Raven....that's great news. :highfive: