Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight pets rant

sissani
April 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm watching a special on Animal Planet right now on overweight pets.

A woman had a disgustingly huge Rottweiller that weighed 203 lbs!! and said "I love her just the way she is. She's beautiful. If she dies it wont matter she'll be coming back home, her ashes will come back home. She's had a good life, I've not starved her, she hasnt been deprived. She's had everything she wants, what else could she ask for?" She bought six big bags of meat at the butcher shop and said it would last the dog a few days. She then took the dog to a groomer who said the poor baby was obese and that she was killing the dog with love, but the owner got very defensive and advised her to "keep her mouth shut". When the groomer said she was speaking for the dog because the dog couldnt speak the owner said she had taken the dog to the vet and was perfectly healthy and told the groomer to keep her mouth shut again.

Another woman had a King Charles Spaniel that weighed upwards of fourty pounds. She went to the vet because the dog has a heart murmur, and the vet said they need to work out a strict diet plan because "at this rate he wont be with us much longer." Four hours after the vet gave the poor thing a death sentence, the owner throws a birthday part for one of her other (overweight) dogs and gives this dog SIX pieces of cake.

I dont understand this - I think its rediculous when owners like this say they love their pets because obviously they dont love them enough to keep them healthy. Its selfish and disgusting. I feel so bad for these animals. The first woman with the Rottie kept making it out to be about looks, like people were telling her her dog was fat because it wasnt attractive. Thats not it, idiot! Your pet is seriously suffering and you are (quite litterally) feeding that pain! How can you do that and in the same minute, say you love him/her?? It just makes no sense to me.

happycats
April 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM
It's really sad, like the saying goes "killing them with kindness".
Look haw many prople are doing the same thing to their children, and temseles!! Our society (pets included) is becoming obese.
I think it weill soon become the leader in illness and death, above all other deseases in North America

erykah1310
April 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Its one thing to love them the way they are, but another to cause them irrepairable damage. Take Puppy for instance. Had he not weighed in at 230lbs when I got him perhaps his legs wouldnt have gotten so bad, perhaps he could still live out a nice long life...
But the fact of the matter is, just taking the weight off doesnt solve the damage that has been done, sure it eases the pressure on the joints but none the less they are damaged.
Obesity is a problem weather it is human or animal. It is NOT healthy in any way.
Why is it , it seems its one extreme to another with people? Either starve and neglect or over feed and neglect?
I dont mind seeing a dog with 5 extra pounds ( depending the breeds of course) but seriously how can people see their dog weighing in at 203 lbs and say that they look good? Can they not see the problems starting?

Prin
April 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
My old lab was 80lbs and we tried everything to get her to lose weight. It wasn't something to be proud of. She could eat 18kgs of dog food in one shot (well, she did once after breaking into the cupboard, and got really sick afterward, of course). We never gave her table scraps either. We had fatty tumors removed, had her on a diet most of her life, and she always gained. She found food somewhere... :rolleyes:

Anyway, all that to say, when did obesity become something to be proud of?

SableCollie
April 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I saw the tv show...that woman with the obese rottie made me so mad! All the other people on the show put their pets on a diet and exercise program to lose weight, but that woman refused to and her dog was the worst. Apparently all she fed the dog was oxen hearts, as much and whenever the dog wanted. And then she was yelling at the groomer, "don't you dare call my dog fat, she is not fat!" I just wanted to take the dog away from her.

Purpledomino
April 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Owners of overweight pets get under my skin too. It is so easy to regulate the food intake of your pet, that is if you are in control of the feeding. It's easier than regulating our own, so there really isn't much excuse for it. Body condition is all you need to see in order to regulate food...too fat= less food, too skinny = more or better food. (factor in exercise too of course)

My mother owns three very overweight cats who always have a full bowl of kibble. She will brag about how "big" her cats are, well they are not "big"...they are FAT. I've told her about the health consequences to no avail, so whatever.......nothing I can do if she doesn't recognize it. Maybe she just likes the cats stomachs to drag on the ground and dust the floor or something...who knows.

Possibly some pet owners just don't know what a healthy dog physique should look like. Too bad for the pets. :pawprint:

TMac
April 16th, 2007, 08:53 PM
:mad: people like this piss me off just as much as the ones who starve their dog. I've seen it over and over - the dog puts on way too much weight for some stupid reason like "I just can't say no to that cute face" and then the person gives them 100 cookies/6 pieces of cake/fill in the horrible blank.. over and over again. Sure enough, the dogs joints start to break down or their hearts get damaged because of the extra burden or their liver goes. Seems like these idiots just don't see the fact that their killing their dogs. :yuck:

TMac
April 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
My old lab was 80lbs and we tried everything to get her to lose weight.

Prin, that is the big difference between 'normal, caring pet owner' (i.e. someone like you) and the idiot from the tv show that just doesn't care or try to help the dog lose weight at all!

Maya
April 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM
My mother owns three very overweight cats who always have a full bowl of kibble.It might just be because it is a poor quality cat food. I've always had cats and always had thier bowls full without any weight problems. If you resrtict a cat too much or human for that matter it slows thier metabolism down and then they binge when they get the chance.(this is the reason diets don't work) I guess dogs are a bit different since it sounds like most want to binge all the time?

Every time this topic comes up it peeves me because someone always suggests looking at the "feeding instructions" on the bag or putting thier pet on a "diet". Healthy eating and exercise is uh gee um a great diet no?

Okay and the other thing about this issue that really bugs me is so many people get on to this forum with a pet that they have obviously not taken notice of until the poor thing is at death's door. They ask questions explain the situation and then decide that the kindest thing is to have them put down.:mad:

breeze
April 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Maya;410899]
Every time this topic comes up it peeves me because someone always suggests looking at the "feeding instructions" on the bag or putting thier pet on a "diet". Healthy eating and exercise is uh gee um a great diet no?

QUOTE]

I agree to that excerise and a good heathy eating is the first choice, and about the "feeding instructions" they always tell you never to go by what is on the bag, so why put it there in the first place?? hummmmmmm

Maya
April 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Gosh really? I haven't checked in a while. It really is annoying. Why are people such drones? I think directions are there for those who don't have any capacity to think. It never ceases to amaze me. Sorry i'm feeling like ranting today.:P Maybe its like a precaution like in case someone thinks that maybe the cat or dog might only need one pellet a day.:evil: Common sense people!!!

Loves Labs
April 17th, 2007, 10:11 AM
:mad: It is people like that that really shouldn't have dogs...it's so unfair to the dogs, they can't help themselves.

When I was young I loved my dogs to pieces. We would play dress up, they would never leave my side, we did everything together. Including eating. I would share everything I could...ice cream, gummy bears :o
I was a kid, I didn't know better...and my parents did not see this (because they would have stopped me in a hurry).

Anyways - I remember one day the vet said to me, "Food is not love". It is so true...but people don't seem to get this. Needless to say, I have changed my ways since then... :laughing:

Purpledomino
April 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Maya;410899]It might just be because it is a poor quality cat food. I've always had cats and always had thier bowls full without any weight problems. If you resrtict a cat too much or human for that matter it slows thier metabolism down and then they binge when they get the chance.(this is the reason diets don't work)

I never thought of that. I did a search on the ingredients she is feeding. Riplees Ranch, she insists that it is "nutrient dense" and healthy cat food. I notice corn ingredients in the list, is it possible that corn attributes to the cats being overweight? I am presently not a cat owner, but if I was, I think I would steer clear from corn ingredients just as I do for my dogs.

Lise
April 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
There was a case in England last year of an extremely overweight lab that was seized by the RSPCA,I don't remember if the owners were charged with cruelty but the dog was rehomed and put on a reduced calorie diet.When we got one of our horses our vet took one look at him and said he was dangerously obese,I'd never seen a horse with rolls of fat even on his legs(he's lost weight,put on muscle and looks beautiful now)It's not only a problem for dogs,cats pretty much any domestic animal does not have to work as hard and has a much richer diet than they used to.Fat pets are not happy pets

Maya
April 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Ya corn isn't needed, its just a filler and since it is quite starchy probably contributing to the weight. I don't know enough to suggest the best brands but I know there are lots out there high in protien/nutrients and leave out most of the carbs. Kinda like an original "Catkins" what they should be eating.:)

I agree Lise, usually the really overweight pets are not happy. I mean they might get the attention and love but there is always something strained and uncomfortable about them because they are not healthy. Physical health does effect everything.

Frenchy
April 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Take Puppy for instance. Had he not weighed in at 230lbs when I got him perhaps his legs wouldnt have gotten so bad, perhaps he could still live out a nice long life...
But the fact of the matter is, just taking the weight off doesnt solve the damage that has been done, sure it eases the pressure on the joints but none the less they are damaged.

Same thing here with my Sam :sad:

TMac
April 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Same thing here with my Sam :sad:

Same with my lab Griffey :candle:
When we adopted him at age 7 he was so overweight he could barely make it up the front stairs to our porch to get in the door. He had thyroid problems because of it and started getting joint problems. We got him fit and trim but the damage from the weight was permanent. Stoopid former owners!!!!!! :mad:

OntarioGreys
April 21st, 2007, 02:30 AM
This is a topic that has me ranting because of the opposite reason

One thing I learned is too often people make snap judgements when they see an overweight pet or person for that matter And automatically assume it has to due with overfeeding

It has become a huge annoyance to me to go to greyhound events and having people pointing fingure and talking behind my back about my fat greyhound or have them come up and get into my face and accuse me over abusing him, and even more maddening when you explain that his spleen is about 6 pound larger than it should be and the saggy tummy is because that is whear his spleen it sitting instead of under his rib cage, and then to have them huff away, he raced at 76 lb he is 84lb, in reality taking the spleen factor in he has put on 2 pound from his racing day, yet most people agree that the ideal pet weight is 5 lb over racing weight, funnier yet no one views Maya as overweight she is 10 lbs over her racing weight she put on more weight than Sunny including his spleen but he is considered the obese one :frustrated:

The reason he appears fatter is he has a different body shape he is short in length and height and was always very heavy chested some beeder preferred the compact type grey and referred to them as power racers, but because of the short waist when the spleen grew and caused his abdomen to sag he took on a sausage shape. Callie had a 70 lb racing weight she was 2 inches taller and 3 inches longer than he is , Maya was 60 lb she has the same height but is an inch longer, if he had either of their body shapes no one who be saying boo to me about his weight

If he was truly fat I really doubt very much he would be this muscular

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/Sunny9.jpg

Maya
April 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
It has become a huge annoyance to me to go to greyhound events and having people pointing fingure and talking behind my back about my fat greyhound or have them come up and get into my face and accuse me over abusing him, and even more maddening when you explain that his spleen is about 6 pound larger than it should be and the saggy tummy is because that is whear his spleen it sitting instead of under his rib cage, and then to have them huff away, he raced at 76 lb he is 84lb, in reality taking the spleen factor in he has put on 2 pound from his racing day, yet most people agree that the ideal pet weight is 5 lb over racing weight, funnier yet no one views Maya as overweight she is 10 lbs over her racing weight she put on more weight than Sunny including his spleen but he is considered the obese one that is sooo annoying that most people are superficial about weight issues. Its a simplistic way of thinking or rather not thinking. Its like that with other health issues as well. Like some people just have acne no matter what they eat or how well they take care of themselves, yet there is always this group of people that will think it is because they eat to much junk or don't wash thier face.:rolleyes: I had a friend at one point that told me "fat people" are really lazy and she went on to say for example they don't even bother making thier bed or doing house work so they don't get any exercise at all. This was a grown woman talking like this! And she was even the manager of a health food store so really should have known better! Grrr I guess this is my morning rant.