Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Menu Foods Feeds Toxin to Cats & Dods...Will OSPCA Investigate?

RUSTYcat
April 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
"Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. (Menu Foods) began new tests on Feb. 27. During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats and seven animals...died"

( http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/19/national/main2586721.shtml?source=search_story )

I've checked the Ontario SPCA's website, but found nothing related to this.

I have sent them the following email:

There have been indications that, after having received reports of
illness connected to ingestion of Menu Foods products, Menu Foods may
have proceeded to test products by feeding them to laboratory animals.

Has the OSPCA investiagted any such reports/complaints?

If so, what are your findings?

If not, do you intend to investigate?

I'll post any reply I receive.

rainbow
April 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for contacting them......I hope you get a reply. :fingerscr

RUSTYcat
April 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
So, no reply to date.
In fairness, I sent the email last Saturday...to their general mailbox...they've only had 2 1/2 (business) days to pick it up.

Today I sent a new email (attaching the first) to the OSPCA's Chief Investigator. Here is that message:
__________________________________________________ ________

I sent the attached email to your general email box last week, but have not yet received a reply. I realize that you must receive a large volume of mail there, so I would normally be content to patiently wait for a response.

I have since found some more specific information, unavailable to me last week, which substantiates the indications prompting my first email.

On March 19 2007, CBS News Online carried the following story:
"Tests of Suspect Pet Food Kill 7 Animals"
( http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/19/national/main2586721.shtml?source=search_story )

The article indicates that "Stephen F. Sundlof, the (US) Food and Drug Administration's top veterinarian" told CBS News:
-"As many as seven animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets around the country"
-"Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It began new tests on Feb. 27"

The article then states "During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats and seven animals...died, Sundlof said."

I believe that the feeding of a suspected poison to animals is contrary to individuals' responsibility for the welfare of animals and represents cruelity to those animals.

I am therefore requesting that the Ontario SPCA undertake an immediate investigation into these reports I am providing to you.

If these facts are accurate and, given ongoing announcements by Menu Foods of further recalls as late as yesterday, it may be that Menu Foods is continuing to test laboratory animals with suspected poisons.

I therefore believe that such an investigation is urgently - immediately required.

I would hope that, should you find such abuse, the test animals would immediately be seized and receive veterninary treatment, the test facility be shut down and appropriate charges be laid.

I will await your reply.

Thank you.
__________________________________________________ ______

I'll keep you posted

sissani
April 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I hope they investigate and I hope it leads to Menu Foods being shut down. With how many pets they have killed, I dont think letting them clean up their act and continuing business is acceptable.