Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Person with Dog swollen from neutering

Candy Babson
April 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Hi,
My name is Candy and my dog's name is Buddy.
We live in mississippi. He was a stray in our neighborhood. I asked around and adopted him because he is so sweet.

I took him to a local vet to get him the services he needed-basically the works. I assumed he had never had anything done. He is about 1 yr old.

He was neutered a week ago friday. He also had: heart worm test, rabbies shot and he was wormed. His testicle sack was swollen when we picked him up. The swelling has gone down some. He has lost his appetite on last monday and just recently on friday eve. he refuses food and water. i have given him some water with a siringe. I can hear his stomach growling. He is resting allot.

I spoke to the vet and he said this happens about 1 out of 25 dogs. he wants to see him again. he advised me to give him a baby aspirin and apply preparation h to the swollen sack.

the swelling has gone down from 3 inches to about 1.5 inches. he did get his appetite back last tuesday. but then on fri eve [2 days ago] he stopped eating again.

i got up to check on him and while i was up, i thought i would research him symptoms on the internet as i cannot take him to the vet until mon.

thanks,
candy and buddy

BMDLuver
April 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Generally when a dog has swelling in his scrotum after neutering, it's a result of a condition called Blue Balls. This means that a small tear in the internal suture area allowed for blood to fill up the sack. Normally antibiotics and ice packs are the recommended approach. I've never heard of putting Preparation H, a hemroidal ointment, for basically what is deemed minor internal bleeding? Loss of appetite could very well be due to what is now an infection with low grade fever. Only your vet will be able to answer that.

SableCollie
April 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Happened to one of my family's dogs after neuter. He was swollen, really huge, and he was very uncomfortable. The vet checked to make sure there wasn't any fluid or blood pooling in the scrotum, there was nothing, just swelling. We had to apply warm compresses twice a day, and he was on pain meds. The swelling slowly went down over a period of 2 weeks, and then he was fine.

Has the vet seen the dog since he was neutered? He should really get examined so you know whether there is something more serious going on than just swelling.

rainbow
April 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Welcome to the forum. How is Buddy? What did the vet say today?

happycats
April 17th, 2007, 07:26 AM
WELCOME!!:)
I hope Buddy is feeling better!