Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Green tripe

angeldogs
April 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I bought some green beef tripe dog food.the only green tripe i can find.the can say's tripett
the ingredients are Beef Tripe,Water,Garlic and Vegetable Gum
Distributed by Westminster industries ltd Surry BC.it's for all life stages.
intended to be supplemented with good quality dry or raw food.
it should have a warning on it for the smell:sick: all 3 dogs liked it.

Prin
April 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
lol yep! That stuff is SMELLY! My dogs go crazy for it too though. :rolleyes:

angeldogs
April 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM
So i quess it's ok to feed then.it was only 2.49 a can so i bought 2.

Prin
April 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I mix in about 1/4 of a can into their food once in a while...

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 06:21 PM
They will love you for it and it is SOOOOoooooo good for them. Two of my gang can't handle the beef. Happily there is is lamb available (it's $2.79 a can). I buy the frozen stuff too but, based on stink factor alone, I think this is better.

angeldogs
April 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
So far the only one i can find.i've been looking but no luck.go to global for evo treats walk out with treats,tripe and some samples of frozen premade raw burgers.go figure.if i wasn't in a hurry i would have bought more stuff.me and petstore like kid in candy store:D

technodoll
April 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
i agree, raw green tripe is both hard to find AND super expensive here... i haven't bought any in months :sad: glad your dogs liked it! :thumbs up now if only it didn't reek so much :rolleyes:

SoapDish
April 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
so I know tripe is stomach... is "green" tripe a special type of stomach or a way of preparing it?

Scott_B
April 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Green tripe is raw unprocessed stomach. White tripe is what you find in stores. Its bleached and cleaned for human consumption. You don't want that for the dogs. You want the green raw tripe.

SoapDish
April 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Ok, that now I get it. They don't sell tripe at any of the grocery stores around here so I have never actually seen it. I have a friend that regularly butchers his own goats and sheep and has his steers sent out to butcher. They are all pretty much free range animals. if I feed tripe from him would I have to do anything to it before I feed it? Part of me says I should rinse it first but I have also read where the gut and its contents are actually healthy for the dogs and cats

technodoll
April 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
should you do anything first? hmmmm... oh yes! get a gas mask and thick rubber gloves! :D

SuperWanda
April 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I have been curious but have never entered the realm of tripe.

What does smelly mean - like, am I going to toss my cookies or what? Cause I won't try it if that's the case?

In my mind stomach must smell like digestive juices which is a cross between vomit and poo. Is this the smell we are talking about? :yuck:

SoapDish
April 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Oh believe me I am an old hand at bad smells. I used to work on a dairy farm and let me tell you there is something about the smell of afterbirth in a cow who hasen't cleaned out that will either cure the worst hangover or make you wretch so hard it feels like your eyes will pop out. :o)

sounds like I should bring my boys down there for butcher day and have them eat it outside

SoapDish
April 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Wanda, from my experience butcher/cleaning "game" it is like poop and vomit all rolled into one add a dash of fishy-acidy smelling stuff (bile always smells sorta fishy to me) and than amplify it. the smell is VERY strong in a gut. Canned tripe might not smell as strong. I am not sure since I have never seen or used it before)

technodoll
April 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
well to me, raw green tripe smells like a fresh stinky cow pattie!! not something you want in your kitchen and on your hands, you know? :D

Prin
April 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I can't say how the raw kind smells, but the canned type smells like the kind of smell where as soon as it hits your scent areas, you immediately start to breathe out very quickly, trying to void your senses of this horrid smell. :D Kind of like cow patties... rotten cow patties.. rotten cow patties mixed with nasty smells.:D

barkley21
April 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
lol! What a funny thread :laughing:
I agree with everyone's description....to me it also has a touch of rotten egg smell added to the cow pie patty :yuck: but the :dog: goes crazy for it so I tolerate it. In a scary way I've actually gotten used to the smell and it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Scott_B
April 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
ok,if you get a whole stomach, chances are its already been emptied. If not, cut it open, and rinse out the inside then feed. Yor pup wont be interested in the contents, and will just leave a mess. Or you can feed whole thing and let the pup rip it open and shake out the contents.

angeldogs
April 20th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I had the wife feed some to kids today.she was not impressed after opening the can:laughing: but she loves them that's why she does it.

Purpledomino
April 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
My dogs love green tripe as well, and from what I've heard, most dogs go crazy for it. This is so surprising considering how horrid the stuff smells, and the fact that a dogs sense of smell is about a gazillion times better than ours....:eek: The best thing I find about feeding green tripe is chasing the kids around the house with the opened can! Good times. ;)