Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who needs a lesh when... *mini rant*

Colubridz
April 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
When you've got a large, aggressive, untrained dog. I was walking Duke last night through a new park we found when a large German Shepherd ran up to us with it's hackles raised and giving Duke a very intense stare. I put him in a sit-stay and told the dog to go home just as a kid on a bike came flying around the corner screaming at the dog to come. Of course it wasn't intrested in listening and proceeded to go around me and tried to stand over Duke.

I kept backing Duke up a few steps and making him sit-stay again while keeping myself in between Duke and the shepherd while the boy tried to wrestle the dog away... at one point it managed to fly around me and Duke whimpered though I didn't see any bite marks when I checked him over later and I think he was just being a little over dramatic. After what seemed an eternity of trying to get the kid to get his dog and trying to keep myself in between Duke and the Shepherd I got fed up and lifted Duke up ( not easy to do now that he's 60ish pounds) and walked away with him and told the kid not to let his dog offlesh as he clearly can't control it. Anyways get around the corner to see the mom of the kid standing there with another dog on lesh just standing there looking annoyed as if I had wasted her time.

I can't believe how many people in my area let their dogs offlesh when they clearly can't control them. A man at another park near us lets his two GSD's offlesh, one which is extremely aggressive and when onlesh tries lunging and attacking when you walk by. In the last month I've had the younger black GSD run up to us twice barking and growling and the very aggressive female almost go after us but the owner managed to grab her. I've added animal control's number to my cellphone and I think there going to start hearing from me in the future.

Don't get me wrong this isn't biased towards any breed as Duke himself is a GSD/Rotti/Collie cross I just can't understand how anyone could figure their dog was ok to be offlesh in public areas when it a) clearly dosen't listen to you and b) is not dog/human friendly.

Kayla

SableCollie
April 14th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Oh, but the other dog is "just saying hi!" :rolleyes:

Yup, I have had growling dogs charge not only my dog, but me also when I walk in a local park, even though there are signs posted every 10 feet saying "Dogs must be leashed".

When a dog charges us, I'll tell Sable "down" and she hits the ground and then I try to intercept the dog. Sometimes the owners just stand there calling their dog and don't even approach to help. I usually let them know that there is a leash law and they can get up to a $50 fine for letting their dog run loose. I don't think they really care though.

H.P.
April 15th, 2007, 08:47 PM
The laws don't work when they are not enforced, which is often the situation. i have the same problem, but poor Sydney things that every one is her friend, and wants to play! She really tries to obey the sit-stay, but gets so excited about a new friend (even if they are being aggressive) it is hard for her, she by the way is always on leash.

dogcatharmony
April 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM
i'd love to join u on this rant. My dog is a victim (three times) of being attacked by a loose off leash aggresive dog. Now i am left holding the bag with a dog who is now fearful when approached.........