-->

Food Safety in China

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Pet food crisis sharpens concern over food safety in China:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/12/pet-food.html

clm
April 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Doesn't make you feel real secure about any prepared food for humans either does it. For all the stuff they reject from China, you gotta believe that there's a whack of stuff getting by and into the human food chain.
Just like pet food, people are going to have to start making better choices, stay away from the prepared stuff, try to find out all you can about the plants producing our food and get back to cooking instead of reheating dinner.

Cindy

RUSTYcat
April 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I think there's an answer here.....I think it's simple....I'm afraid critics will say it's simplistic.......but I THINK IT WOULD WORK.

A grassroots boycott of all things made in China.

It means more than avoiding products...you also have to let the retailer know you're boycotting and why....ask for a manager and make sure fellow shoppers HEAR what you're saying.

We can't directly stop this cr*ap from entering the country, but we CAN leave it on the shelves.

No, we may not know about the origin of ingredients in products....but if enough labeled products don't leave the store.........the message will quickly "trickle" to the top.

"Pets" are an integral part of Western family life...in many cases they are our only family...unfortunately, they have been our 'canaries in the coal mine'....we are the next potential victims.

Our mealy-mouthed, spineless "leaders" don't have the b*lls to embargo food and "feed" ingredients until Chinese authorities ENSURE it's safe??????

We, the people, could actually make it happen.

I've started it...when I go to the 'Crappy Tire' or the 'Wool-Mart' I look for alternatives to "Made in China". If I don't find anything, I ask for the manager, complain that there's no alternative, tell them that I'm boycotting all things made in China because 'my friend's cat was poisoned by Chinese wheat gluten', and tell them I'm going to shop elsewhere.

It just could work.

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I've been on a full boycott of all things made in China since they slaughtered their first (that we have been made aware of) 50,000 dogs.

It can be done reasonably easily in all areas except for electronics and appliances, you really have to do your research there to determine where the manufacturer sources their parts. I haven't been able to replace my PC with a laptop yet because I can't find one with out Made in China circuitry, but I'm ever hopeful. When I find a product with a Made in Canada label, I take the time to email the company to thank them for keeping their industry (our jobs, our tax dollars, our healthier and safer workplaces...) in Canada. I refuse to buy anything Made in China. :thumbs up

catowner63
April 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
You guys are on the right track, and it's about time! For at least a decade now, we humans have been used as guinea pigs by being fed GMO products. :evil: For many more decades we have been fed insecticides, pesticides, fungicides, antibiotics, hormones, and so on. When we don't care about the food we eat, how can you expect food companies to care. Even more so, how can we expect pet food companies to care. Processed food should be off everyone's diet. Eat local and preferably organic. Go to farmers markets and ask the farmer how they grow their crops and tell them your concerns. The same goes for meat, beef especially. Tell your grocers also, and boycott all food that is questionable. Put your money to good and healthy use. Let your friends know also. After all, we all have to eat. Don't put up with eating c*ap. If you don't take a stand now, there will be no turning back.

clm
April 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Boycotting all things with the made in China label is fine, but it's the stuff we don't know that's made in China that's added to food is a bigger problem IMO. Nobody would have known that Menu foods got it's wheat gluten from China if this whole mess hadn't happened.

Cindy

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
That is exactly what we are saying Cindy. A manufacturer's label is one thing, but, knowing where your manufacturer sources from may be more important.

clm
April 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry, misread a few posts there. :o
Precious few companies are going to be forthcoming in where they get their ingredients from and there is no legislation in place to make them give you that information. I'm sure there's a lot of nasty stuff coming in from a lot of places. Maybe as well as ingredient lists on labels, legislation needs to be in place that they must provide a list of raw material suppliers that can be accessed by the public at the FDA or Health Canada websites.
That would be a good start.

Cindy