Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ribbons!!

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Cider and I trialed today..
We took first place in rally novice a, and then we took third in rally novice a. We have 2/3 legs to our RN title.

We got 192/200 and 193/200.

And if out last Q is over 190 as well.. We'd get an RNMCL title Rather than an RN..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/IMG_0558.jpg

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
:highfive: Good job!! WOO!! :highfive:

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
:thumbs up

There are rally titles already? Jeez it seems like it was just invented.

Hooray Cider!

Byrd
April 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
:highfive:

Good job!!!

Nice ribbons!

(Glad to see 'Cinder' was actually Cider)

PS Do you happen to know what placings Sable took (she's Willow's bestest bud)?

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Sable was in our rally classes :)

Think she Q'd both times. No placement ribbons though. The scores for novice b were very close especially in round 2 though. They did really well.

In round 2 we lost second place by one point and 1st by two points it was so close..

Byrd
April 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah, I fogot she would be in B. I can't believe she didn't place, she did so well in class (she re-took novice and was in our class).

I can't believe how close the points were. Joan said she would judge her own students harder than others, were they mostly Joan's students?

Oh, do you remember if there was a dog named Seka (sp?) there, she would have been handled by a guy and if a very springy mover, beautiful dog.

Glad I didn't end up going afterall, wouldn't have been able to handle all the spinning with this vertigo (just getting over a stomach flu).

mafiaprincess
April 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Don't remember that dog. Sable did well. We all did for first trial really..

Seemed like a third were Joan's students cause they acted like they knew her.. many weren't. I was so happy to show off how much we'd improved...

jiorji
April 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM
wooooooooooo Cider!!
:thumbs up

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Joan's a good teacher, I can see where she'd have a lot of students going to trial.

I can't wait to see the difference in Cider, it's been almost a year.

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
WOO HOO Cider !!! :highfive:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Damn you'll jynx it ;) I had such a time getting her on the couch to take a pic she was so bouncy.. Mom's like SHE won a first???

Actually the break we took between beginner and intermediate agility.. Shone and Andrea were like she's a different dog. So hopefully near a year has made a huge difference. But I see her 24-7.. Till I took home Jack.. I didn't think she had good manners, lol.

Thanks everyone I'm still in shock we Q'd let alone got a first lmao..

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Isn't it nice when you go in expecting nothing and end up doing really well?

I wonder if you'll see a difference in Willow too, she has matured quite a bit. A year makes a difference when they are still young. What I really wonder is if they'll remember each other. :confused:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Even if they don't remember each other, I hope they'll be sociable. I think we'll each see a change in the other's dog. They've both grown up.

It's wonderful going in figuring meh a NQ isn't a biggie and coming out winning. Damn 360 turns and spirals were nausea inducing though.. Was an issue even at home. Practice 2 or 3 rally things and end up feeling ill.. Looking down at Cider who is really little while spinning....

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 12:55 AM
*sniff sniff* "Hey, you're the one I used to chase around so we could get worn out before agility class! Looky you, all mature 'n' stuff!" :p

Oh yeah, the dreaded 360 left!!! :sick: Even if you know they're doing it, you still just hafta look down. :sick: It and the pivot are the only ones I look down for. (I love the smiley face as we're doing the 360 as she knows she's such a good girl for doing it right... it took so freakin' long to learn!:frustrated: )

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

That's amazing Cider and MP ! Amazing ! You both must be on top of the world (have you stopped spinning yet ? :p )

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM
No.. I'm still up I'm a little whooo about it all. Now I'm like gee.. When are the next local rally trials.. Will we be this spot on at another one. lol.

Byrd.. Our big issue was a sort of auto sit at in opportune moments.. 360 left, bum go down.. u turn into the dog bum go down.. weaving not fast enough bum down... Really had to work on uh oh no sit..

First two ribbons are awesome. I geekily nearly cried on the way home that we'd gotten this far.. I really never expected to..

gomez
April 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Congrats!

I love her face...

Can you post a webiste of what you do at the competition? I don't think I have seen this before, certanly not this spinning...!

on another note...someone actually named their dog Seka?

Skryker
April 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0018.gif Way to go!! Great work! :highfive:

phoenix
April 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Congratulations Mafia and Cider!

What a good girl!!!:highfive:

Furbaby Momma
April 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Congratulations!! Mafiaprincess, you and Cider are beautiful!
Contiued success, for winning many more ribbons. :thumbs up

cpietra16
April 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Congrats, both of you. I know you put so much work into this...great outcome:thumbs up

Frenchy
April 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Congratulations Mafia and Cider :highfive: (I still can't believe a cocker is doing agility :thumbs up )

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Sable.. CARO rally has been having competitions since 2003...
I just don't think it was popular till like the last year or 2. I hadn't seen rally classes at local schools till recently.. Even then everywhere teaches novice, a few places advanced. I've never seen a school locally teaching excellent level...

Thanks everyone :)

Gomez, it's a course set up of 20-22 stations for novice level. A station can be stationary like sit - down.. Dog needs to heel to that sign, and then you can ask sit, and then down. In every venue but AKC, you can only ask once. You loose points.

You start with 200, and loose points for sloppy heeling, sloppy completions of exercises.. Our major issue is loosing focus and getting a tight leash now and then..

There's a spiral right and a spiral left. 3 pylons in a row. You go around them in a heel around all three, then the first two, and then the first one spiraling three circles. It's kinda dizzying especially if you are sort of watching the dog...

I dislike regular ob, but I like this because it's more fun, you can talk to your dog and tell them they are good while you heel.

I'm looking into other rally competitions I'm nervous though. That after such a good showing, the next one won't be lol.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
on another note...someone actually named their dog Seka?

I don't know how it's spelled, but it's pronounced like Seeeka.

You can check out hte CARO (Canadian Association of Rally-Obedience) website for info on the sport, or, MP, to check for future competions, I know there's one in Peterborough but it's not until September. http://www.canadianrallyo.ca/

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM
LOL, Frenchy we haven't competed at agility yet. This was rally obedience ;) I wish we were winning at agility though. First comp is May..

There's a june one at take the lead if you are interested. Premium isn't up yet. It's the one I'm considering.

The may one in Etobikoe is too much for me.. There's one in TO early june, and then like june 16th at take the lead.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Are those Rally or Agility competitions?

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Those are rally.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cool, we should be ready for June for sure.... maybe May. Guess I'd better send for our CARO number!

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Think our Caro number literally only took 2 weeks.

Not sure what the closing date is for the one at swansea (may 25th I think)

But since the june one at take the lead isn't up yet, you have plenty of time.

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
You two have to tell me if you will be at the Toronto one ~ it's near the Yorkdale subway. That's easy-peasy to get to and I would LUV to see all four of you do your thing !:crazy:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I think we'll do the port perry rally trial..

But if we hit anything more your way, we'll be sure to tell you long before hun :)

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mum that would be really cool having our own groupie on the sidelines! :p When is that one? I have to find a partner for these things though, I'm not one to step into a new situation alone (she says, but knows it's not really true).

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Rally trial is june 16th in port perry. It was just just posted though.

Shona was at the one yesterday she was my sideline groupy as I freaked out the whole time, lol.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I will definitely go to the port perry one.

Mum, if we go to the Yorkdale one, you'll have to take pics for us.

angeldogs
April 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Cider way to go:highfive:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Thank you :)

I took my camera.. but I was so stressed I never got to taking it out and figuring out how to turn off the flash..

That and no one else was and I already felt totally out of place. Most people were much older.. And Cider did better than a bunch of more seasoned handlers.. I was so proud but found it unexpected..

I figured the people with experience would have like spot on runs.. and it wasn't so much like that till round 2.

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Byrd and Mafia ~ if you are TTc'able (as in within 1 to 1/2 hour travel time) from The Centre of the Centre of the Universe ~ then I am THERE ! I love this stuff and only wish I had the resources to do it with a few of my gang.

Have camera and am willing to be a groupie !

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, but sometimes that happens, when you are a novice you are not expecting it, so you're more focused. I can't get what I'm really trying to say out right, but, do ya get it?

Mum, if you can make it to Oshawa, or even Whitby, I could pick you up and you can be my roady instead of groupy. :p

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, but sometimes that happens, when you are a novice you are not expecting it, so you're more focused. I can't get what I'm eally trying to say out right, but, do ya get it?

You have nothing to cloud your imagination and you have not yet burdened yourself with heavy expectations.

There is a life lesson here women... if your heart is in it, your head will follow ~ let nothing stop you.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, yeah, that's it.

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah.. I had low expectations, though I was dreaming high...
But I wouldn't yell at my baby if we didn't Q or anything. Some of the other competitors might have. The only person who NQd in novice A... Wow.. She was angry with her dog...

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Exactly Mafia ~ their heart is invested in themselves.

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Just making it through the course in one piece would be enough for me. I can't believe someone would yell at their dog for not qualifying. :frustrated:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Old enough to be my gramma almost.. Very very angry with her dog. He/she was very sniffy so round 1 after 14 signs she tried to walk out. Joan told her to not leave it on a bad note so she grudgingly finished..

Between the rounds she drilled her dog outside... And it was like an hour and a half or 2 between round 1 and 2..

I found I couldn't get any attention outside at all from Cider... She NQ'd round 2.. took her score sheet and left..

Lot of these people were so so hardcore for 'fun' obedience... Like wow hardcore.. I feel like I've drilled Cider, but I drill with treats fairly often to keep her going. Many were nice people but it was like half and half almost...

It was fairly quiet and controlled inside. People were talking and such. I let out a small giggle while a dog went really didn't want to go front.. Lady then told all her friends my tiny noise shut her dog down.. So it wouldn't work.

Dude. It was the most quiet controlled environment you'd ever find.. I doubt any other show of anything is like that..

mummummum
April 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM
OOOoooo delusions of Westminster maybe ?

Wasn't there a movie about this ? Best of Show ? Haven't seen it but it sounds about right.

Have FUN. Life is too short :crazy:

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I've been to CKC obedience trials (a friend competes) that weren't that tight.

We had a lady in our class that almost sounds like the one you describe. She barely ever spoke to her dog, almost seemed like she wanted him to read her mind. She would just tromp around the course and expect him to know what to do, like he could read the signs too. In one class, when we were doing the sit/down/sit she actually yanked him up by his gentle leader. Those of us sitting together were not impressed, after class I mentioned to Joan and Anne how that kind of additude brought down the rest of the class (you know what Joan says, be able to laugh at yourself), and is, frankly, cruel. Something must have been said because in the next classes she improved and actually started talking to her dog.

If your dog is off one day, it's off, you still give them a good solid pet and a 'good girl/boy'. We all have our bad days.

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I'm now like dude.. what are other groups of dog sports like?

I never saw that movie, people told me I'd laugh though. It came out long before I was 'into' dogs.

I felt bad during class, I'd go to rearrange Cider when she wasn't paying attention and she'd let out a drama queen death scream. Pretty sure she can do them at will now.. Whole class stared. I swear I didn't harm her.. Felt so awful though..

Everyone in class was good and fun to be with really.. It was that trial atmosphere. I guess since most had a title on a dog at some point they are all gotta win...

Byrd
April 14th, 2007, 10:58 PM
*laughs at the thought of Cider doing a death scream at will*

I haven't seen the movie either, same deal, it came out before I was into showing dogs.

Morgan said that dog sports and showing can be very cut throat. I did horse shows in my teens, believe me, I know about cut throat. :crazy:

mafiaprincess
April 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM
LOL.. Brushing her out earlier, fairly tangle free and she was screaming.

I knew showing could be darn cut throat but I didn't assume a sport toted as being enjoyable for the family pet to be similar.. Wasn't as bad as it could be but some of the snarking...

Don't think some of them I wasn't even directly competing against liked that I was young, or my lip rings.. Made me quite different from them..

TeriM
April 15th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Congrats to Cider on her beautiful ribbon :thumbs up .

Byrd
April 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
You hit the nail on the head right there... you're different, not a little girly girl miss priss, and you have a dog that a lot of people wouldn't expect to see in sports. Way to go!!!! :thumbs up

Honestly, when I first saw Cider I was like "what, a Cocker doing agility, no way" but she proved me wrong. She's a smart girl.

LOL Willow does the death scream when I'm brushing her bum, it's not like it hurts or anything, she just doesn't like anything near that area. Even if she wasn't spayed I wouldn't have to worry about my baby getting knocked up. :p

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I can be a girly girly.. I've run agiility in a skirt.. But my version of girly isn't likely these people's haha.

See here cockers are semi 'rare'. They aren't.. There are breeders around in Canada and stuff, and I've met 3 cockers locally.. but all in all I don't see many. Stateside, there's a load of cockers with MACH varying titles. I drool over the american cocker club site and their agility trials and such.

HAHA. Glad I'm not the only death screamer. That's funny though, Cider doesn't have one spot to scream about. Mainly holding a leg brushing it she starts to try to pull her foot away and if she doesn't get it back she acts like she's being murdered...

Byrd
April 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ah see, I used to be a groomer, we got a lot of Cockers in the shop, but they seem to mostly be stay at home do nothing dogs, lap dogs, the type that people put no effort or training into, maybe that's why I always had a bad impression of them (Cider is, honestly, the only one I've ever met that I've liked). Most of them seemed neurotic, perhaps this was more of a boredom thing then. :shrug: As for the leg thing... Cocker, they seem to have a thing about their feet, they were always impossible to trim nails and pads, they don't like their feet touched, just something with the breed.

I must ask, how the heck do you run agility in a skirt???? :eek:

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Awww a lot of people have said that. That they've never met nice cockers, but they liked Cider.

Really outside classes, I've never met people who actively do anything with their dogs.. I've been scoffed at that rally and agility are a waste of time and such.

I could see it as a boredom thing.. Cider can still climb the wall after roller blading, and fetch and a class all in one day. Not sure how people who might take a quick walk around the block deal with their dog...

I can touch her feet, she hates nail trimming though. It's a no choice matter, but it's not pretty. Seems most are screwed up tempered byb dogs or mill dogs. I have one too.. But we've trained so much it's not so evident anymore.. The cocker we see most often in the park is 9 months old, and so skittish if a dog even approaches her she climbs her mom...

LOL, has only been a few years that my butt could fit into normal size pants. Was easier to find skirts that fit and looked okay.. I can do near anything in a skirt ;)

Byrd
April 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Yup, a lot of people I know also think it's a waste of time and money. I get all those comments about having the time because I don't have kids... blah, blah, blah. I would still do this if I had kids, I'd just get them involved with me. As for the money, well, I don't smoke, drink, gamble, or even go to movies, so why not spend $25 a week on a healthy hobby? :shrug: And, that's how I explain it to people.

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I don't go to the bar.. Lack a guy, so I spend my tiem with dogs... People keep telling me to tell my parents I could have a serious drug habit, and should be happy my hobby is being active...

That, and we have a dog better trained than pretty much anyone my mom knows..

Byrd
April 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Exactly! Actually, in my family my mom is about the only one that does understand. She's the only one that comes to shows, and even has been to a couple of classes. I tease that my great-niece who's two is going to be my protege because she is totally in love with dogs. My nephew and his wife are fine with that, because they will never own a dog (severe allergies) and they know that Maddy will bug about it when she gets older so she can just come out to training with me and my dogs.

Also, as I always say, you never know where this road will lead us in the future.

glasslass
April 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM
HAHA. Glad I'm not the only death screamer. That's funny though, Cider doesn't have one spot to scream about. Mainly holding a leg brushing it she starts to try to pull her foot away and if she doesn't get it back she acts like she's being murdered...

Cider looks great in blue! I grew up with a Cocker, my "Blondie". She wasn't any of those things that have been said about Cockers. She was calm, eager to please, and patient when my baby brother, "Raumus", pulled her ears. We heard the death screaming and rescued her. She never would have bitten in self-defense. Cider looks a lot like her, except the hair on Cider's legs is much longer (and sooo silky). We had to keep Blondie's legs clipped short to discourage foxtails.

Raumus brought Sage for a visit this weekend. With the discussion of holding paws, I can't resist showing this photo. No death screams; just a lucky, unexpected expression when I snapped the picture.