Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dachshund pees on EVERYTHING!!-Help

NY1Chad
April 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone. Im new to the site and need some serious help.
Iv read tons of threads on housebreaking and potty training, so please forgive me for posting yet another one on the topic.
However, none of the threads seem to help in my situation.

I live in NYC in a no elevator, walk up apt. I have a 2 1/2 yr old male mini dachshund and he just pees on everything. Especially my couch and book cases AND his crate where he sleeps everynight. He is really good about peeing on the paper in the kitchen and going #2 there as well, but it seems that he is always marking his area just for fun.
He does not get to go outside to the street enough. Probably 1 to 2 times a day due to my work schedule. He was crate trained the moment i got him and he seemed to take to it very well. I just dont understand how to get him to stop marking everything in the house. Its getting kinda disgusting and natures miracle is getting expensive. I spend most of my evenings when I get home from work cleaning hard wood floors and sides of furniture. Recently we were letting him sleep in the living room instead of being confined to the kitchen, but he started to pee on the couch cushions. Its out of control.
WHY???
I need some help.
Please keep in mind that he has no access to outside while im at work and that there is no way of taking him out more then we already do.
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely.
C.

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Is he neutered?

SnowDancer
April 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I was also wonder if he has been neutered - if not, I suggest you do snow. Dachshunds are notoriously hard to housetrain. I bet you if you let him into your bed at night, he wouldn't wet your bed. My Dachshunds were always smack in the centre, heads on the pillows.

NY1Chad
April 13th, 2007, 10:37 PM
No, he is not neuterd.
Would that actually help? And why?

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Unneutered animals mark their territory with urine. If he is peeing on surfaces, especially vertical surfaces, he is probably marking. Neutering decreases the testosterone level in males so the urge to mark is decreased. I suggest making an appointment with your vet for neutering, and also to rule out a urinary tract infection or any other health problems that cause dogs to have to urinate excessively.

Purpledomino
April 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Normal and natural behaviour for an unaltered male dog. Sorry that you had to find out the hard way. There are so many positive reasons to neuter and spay your animal, this is just one of them.

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with the other response. Neutering him would be a good first step and may well solve the problem tho puppies not neutered until later sometimes continue to urinate inappropriately a little longer than their cohorts. If he does not stop, the n you know you may have a urinary tract problem or a behavioural one - and both of those can be also solved by a vet or pet behaviouist.

Good luck!!

LynLyn
April 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
neutering is a must, and until that happens i always recommend that you tie his leash you your waist. Until a dog learns not to potty in the house, you need to watch him ALL the time. when tied to you, you can see when he starts sniffing like he wants to pee and instantly pick him up and put him on his pee pad. and you will have to get an enzyme cleaner (natures miracle) to clean everything he has peed on so he doesn't re-mark everything constantly.

Rainy
April 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
edited because it posted twice!haha

Rainy
April 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yup it sounds like he is marking his territory.Time for a neuter i'm thinking.In the meantime you can buy him a belly band,it's like underwear for dogs LOL.Also he may stop marking right away but some male dogs take a couple of weeks for the hormone levels to decrease before they stop marking.I have heard but I can not say for sure ....the longer you let this behaviour go on the longer it takes to stop.Good luck!

NY1Chad
April 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Thank you EVERYONE SO much.
I fee much better about the situation. I was starting to feel like a bad parent.
Now here's the next question. I have a great Vet here, but they wanna charge 950.00 to Neuter him. Does anyone know a trust worthy way of finding a good Vet here in NYC for much less?? Iv heard that the ASPCA will neuter dogs for free or at a discount..but are they safe?

Thanks again.

I think I should own stock in the Natures Miracle Corp.

SableCollie
April 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Are you sure they want $950? That's insanely expensive! Ask around at other vets for pricing. If you have any friends with pets, ask which vets they use, and whether they are happy with them.

I use the local animal rescue league's low cost neuter service a lot, I haven't had any problems. And the ASPCA in NY is a very well-known organization, they probably do a good job.

badger
April 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
950$! I know NYC is expensive but good way to dissuade people from fixing their animals, guys.
Just out of interest, SableCollie, is the low-cost service you mention available to anyone? There's a private foundation here that used to subsidize spaying and neutering (not by much 10-15%) by vets who agreed to participate, but it was so popular among people who really didn't need the break that they now ask for proof of low-income status.

chico2
April 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
WOW,$950 are you sure you got that right???
Maybe you missunderstood,neutering is a relatively simple quick procedure,I can see the vet charging $150 but no more:confused:

rainbow
April 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
I agree and would call your vet back and ask again. There's no way it can be $950 for neutering. :eek:

SableCollie
April 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just out of interest, SableCollie, is the low-cost service you mention available to anyone?

Yes, the one I use is a mobile clinic through the Boston animal rescue league. It comes to my shelter, people sign up through us and there is no income check. They go to various other places too. Prices are the same for everyone, dogs cost more to do than cats, females cost more than males. The downside is because of the size, they can only do animals under 40 lbs, and they won't do animals over 4 years old, because they believe older animals should have pre-surgery bloodwork done, and should be carefully monitored after surgery, and they don't have those capabilities. There are other low-cost clinics in Boston, but they do require income eligibility.