Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Four and half year old American bull dog

jmiller126
April 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Well my best friend, Max who was a 125 pound American bull dog, had to be put down yesterday!! He had a skin condition, it was like little scabs, vet gave him steroids, cleared up right away. Vet weined him off roids, soon as he was off, week and a half ago, he wouldn't eat much and when he did he would puke. He is usually a social butterfly. We own a gun range so he sees alot of people. I thought withdrawls from roids, give it couple days he'll be fine. Well week went by no change, to the vet we went. Vet tells me he has Leukemia, so the next day he was put down at the age of 4 1/2! He lost like 20 lbs in week. I'm not too sure, but how does this happen, where he got it, if you get it?? Seems so weird one week jumpin around waggin his whole body, not just the tail, his whole body, when he's excited, to next week dead from leukemia?? Any info or thoughts would help alot!! Thanks. SAD

JanM
April 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog - a very sad loss!:candle:

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss! :sad: :grouphug: :rip:

badger
April 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Maybe the rash was a clue to what came later. But since the steroids took care of it, how could you have known?
I would have a long talk with the vet; if he's any good, he should have at least some of the answers. But as to why it happened, I don't think vets are any clearer on what triggers cancer in animals than doctors treating (most)cancers in humans. It's a terrible mystery.
RIP Max.
SAD says it all.

~michelle~
April 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
sorry for your loss....it so hard to explain why these things happen, sometimes a disease will not be noticeable till its to late.

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM
My deepest condolences for your loss. :grouphug: :candle:

crafterantiques
April 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I give you my condolences. We just lost our little Yorkie, just a few hours ago. Like you, we had taken him to the vet the day before. He seemed to really begin to rally. He was alert, even ate last evening with a healthy appetite. I was so pleased, thought he was going to be ok. Now he is gone! I know how your heart is breaking, I hope with time you will find solace in his memories. God Bless:candle: