Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog toys: washable?

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Do you throw your dog toys in the wash?

Jemma and Boo's Mean Kitty, Sheep on the Lamb and rope toys are looking a little icky... Can I throw them in the wash or is that a bad idea? I'm just wondering if something catastrophic might happen to the squeakers or the ropes might jam up the machine or something... :shrug:

Sheep on the Lamb: Help me, I'm icky and nobody wants to play with me!
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Nov%20Dec%202006/IMG_5558_1.jpg

Cathy1
April 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I have always washed all Duke & Jasper's squeekies and stuffies in the washing machine. The only problem was that sometimes when the dogs squeezed them a little water would squirt out, so I sqeeze all the water out of them first. The stuffies were no problem, but with very fuzzy ones I don't put them in the dryer because the heat makes them feel rough. All the squeekers still work.

Prin
April 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Cool! Thanks Cathy!

Maybe I'll put the ropes in a laundry bag or something? :shrug:

technodoll
April 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
yep, i throw the kid's toys in the wash all the time with our laundry, just put them in an old pillowcase first and tie a big knot. the stuffies then go in the dryer, and the rubber toys just air-dry... squeakers stay intact, too. :thumbs up

Ford Girl
April 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I wash Dazy's too, no dryer tho, let them sit to dry, she has enough toys to do that, and only cuz there are tiny holes in them, which she hasn't noticed yet, if she only knew what was inside her stuffies!!!!

Hers get really icky too, it's funny when a friend comes over, and she greets them at the door with a stuffie in her mouth, people think she wants it thrown (which she doesn't, she just always carries them) and they take it from her only to find out it's wet, slimey and gross!!! They drop it on the spot!

SableCollie
April 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Washing is fine, the only thing is if you wash them frequently, you might want to use a natural detergent--they are putting the toys in their mouths.

And the only problem with the rope toys is they really bang around in the dryer, even in a pillow case, so I usually hang the rope toys somewhere to dry. The other problem with ropes is they are hard to dry completely, even if you do use the dryer, and sometimes start smelling moldy. In the summer, they can dry out in the sun, that seems to work ok.

Stuffies do fine in the wash, and I wash the rubber toys in the sink with dish detergent.

joeysmama
April 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I would maybe throw them in a lingerie bag first?:shrug: I should think about doing this since Cooper's "mousie" soemtimes winds up under my pillow at night. And he's looking a littel worse for wear !

sissani
April 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
At work we throw dogs' toys in the wash all the time. Dont want to send them home with icky toys! 95.5% time it doesnt ruin the toys. Not that most dogs care if their teddy gets a little lumpy :D

breeze
April 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I wash all the toys, rope and the leashs if they are nylon all the time, I put them in a pillow case (just make sure they are tightly tied and I also put them in the drier but no fabric softener, and I use a baby laundry soap so as not to earate her mouth or stumache

trippincherri
April 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I just throw all my dogs stuffies in the wash with regular detergent and sometimes some bleach to kill bacteria.
Then I throw them all in the dryer on the "AIR" cycle or I will sometimes put them on the "delicates" cycle. On regular heat I actually melted a squeeker before so....learnt my lesson there I guess lol.
If they bang around in the dryer you could do like TD does and tie them in a pillow case and if they STILL bang around throw some dry towels in with them, the towels will also help absorb some of the moisture!:thumbs up

Rubber toys are thrown in the sink as are their bowls and washed in dish soap and hot water, rinsed thoroughly and air dried.

gomez
April 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Once a week the bedding goes in the wash, pillows in lingerie bags and mats/beds just like that - Gomez doesn't have soft toys to wash, if he gets a soft toy, he plays with it a few hours (or minutes), till it's disemboweled and then it goes in the rubbish!

Rubber toys and kongs go in the dishwasher

rainbow
April 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I wash them but let them air dry.